Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing almanac

Fishing almanac

Talking to a bloke at work about it.
    What do you guys think does anyone use it for there fishing trips???
    Cheers Marty

Re: Fishing almanac

the biggest problem is by the time you get all the planets in line and the moon and all the other shit together, you have to work that day and can't go fishing! while I don't doubt there maybe some scientific fact in there somewhere, I prefer to just go when I can and be done with it, I have yet to catch a fish that has one of these almanacs on them to tell them when to eat.

there's app's on smart phones now that make it easier if you into that stuff
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Yeah I would like to but like most that window of opportunity is not open all the time so I get out when I can. There is a method behind the madness but getting the planets to align for a top days fishing is about as likely as me dropping a plastic on the nose of a big snapper. Can happen and happy as sh!t when it all comes together

dont know about the planets aligning but as long as i can get out a few times on the lead up to the full moon im happy. around that time i expect to catch fish... the rest of the month its just to be out on the water hoping..

I like fishingreminder.com

Actually having said that it has an inverse relationship with seabreeze.....

fishing reminder "tomorrow will be an excellent fishing day in your area" ....cool.....seabreeze. " tomorrow will be 25 knot southerlies".......

Go figure?

I can fully understand going fishing when life permits instead of when the planets align but the use of fishing almanacs and other literature that highlights the peak fishing times based on where the moon is in relation to where we are on the Earth are pretty handy to plan trips so peak fishing times can be identified and used to their fullest seeing as though theses times are often pretty short.
    They're not saying you wont catch fish on certain days or during certain periods during the day they're merely highlighting the peak periods so if nothing else you can fish those particular times during the day to maximise your chances.
    Or you could just not care and just be happy to be out there on any day the weather is good enough.

I have an app on Android that seems to be reliable when you figure out that it is backwards. When it says it is a 5 star day I catch f'all and 3- 1 star days I do really well.

Unless you can fish whenever you like then don't bother. Fish when you can and be happy you are out there and not stuck at home mowing the lawn.

I eat when i'm hungry or when someone puts a nice meal in front of me and I reckon fish are the same, i prefer to see a rising barometer and a little chop on the water when i am going fishing.

Question is...do the results you actually get correlate with the predicted good catch times...?

We've have only recently started keeping a fishing diary so can't say if they match for us over any particularly long period of time but in the short time we've been doing it there is no correlation. We'd be interested to hear from anyone who has compared over a longer period.

Tim and Trace

I think there is undeniable proof that there is a direct correlation between peak bite periods derived from different moon phases just as there is with other variables such as tide, rainfall, barometric pressure and a whole host of other factors.
    Predicting optimum fishing periods is nothing new......different civilizations around the globe have been doing it for hundreds of years.
    By keeping your own records Tim/Trace you'll be able to see some pretty definitive patterns emerge in places you regularly fish and with that knowledge you'll be able to adjust your fishing habits to suit in the future.

To my way of thinking there is definately "things" that create a hot bite for fishing, now whether these things are predictable, or relative to all corners of the Country or the planet is anyones guess, sure if you are planning a fishing holiday to 1770, it is nice to get Lucky Philll to set the dates around the moon phase, but that is set a year in advance (almost) so who is to say that if I dig out my Almanac and see that 4:30 tomoorw, the fish will be biting their heads off, but I fish for (say) Whiting and Flathead, both these fish will be at different places during tide stages, so how can the Almanac be right for them both? A I said, I am sure there is some scientific substance to them, but I would rather keep my own diary that relates to my fishing area and my own expereince than a "generic" do all does all Almanac (in my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by choppa View Post
    there's app's on smart phones now that make it easier if you into that stuff
    Haven't caught a fish with an Iphone yet either

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    I think there is undeniable proof that there is a direct correlation between peak bite periods derived from different moon phases just as there is with other variables such as tide, rainfall, barometric pressure and a whole host of other factors.
    Predicting optimum fishing periods is nothing new......different civilizations around the globe have been doing it for hundreds of years.
    By keeping your own records Tim/Trace you'll be able to see some pretty definitive patterns emerge in places you regularly fish and with that knowledge you'll be able to adjust your fishing habits to suit in the future.
    If you trace TimD you will not catch any fish! The only pattern will be "I used plastics today and caught nothing, tomorrow I may use bait"