Thread: Double Island Point land based..either side..any tips..help dissadvantaged boys

Double Island Point land based..either side..any tips..help dissadvantaged boys

Hi all,

I work with a program called Connect where we take 'at risk' year 7-10 State School boys away on a series of camps to give them 'time out' from the regular education and help them to learn skills they may not otherwise have access to and build confidence through outdoor education experiences. See: http://www.su-connect.org.au/

The camps are designed to teach the boys how to fend for themselves and thus they learn to cook for themselves, are taught how to erect shelters/hutchies and amongst a bunch of other stuff they are taught by myself how to fish. A skill many have had little exposure to.

Connect camps are held in 4 different locations for 3 days each time and our first camp for term 1 for each group is held at the Coloured sands area just north of Teewah Beach.

We have 4 wd's of course and so far have had some excellent help from a bloke named Wazza the Wormer who has randomly been there each time we've been up and taught us some basic worming skills (though none of us have got one ourselves yet!!??) and has generally given us enough beach worms to enjoy our couple of days up there fishing.

So far I have been on 2 camps. I am newly employed in this role and the camps have been running for quite some years but never run with a fisho on board so we are tracking new territory.

Things I have tried thus far:

I have a fair bit of experience in beach fishing and have thus far been fishing the gutters at the northern end of the beach as early or late in the day as has been possible and around tide changes also where possible.

Results: a few Dart

I have tried the lagoon on the Rainbow beach side of Double Island and I reckon it has plenty of potential and ideal for the boys as its mostly out of the gale force southerlies, big sweeping currents and pounding swells etc but so far no joy and that's using beach worms, live herring and poddy mullet.

My boundaries are it must be land based and we cannot fish the rocks due to safety reasons and litigation and all of that wonderful stuff we all love................................not

So....anyone out there want to help like Wazza the Wormer and make these boys lot in life a little better??

I am currently looking for:

1. any tips on fishing the area (Pm me if you want to keep it 'on the quiet')
    2. donations of suitable fishing gear especially alvey rods and reels as I am currently using my own eggbeaters/spinning reels which are copping a hammering and currently full of sand etc
    3. terminal tackle suitable including hooks, sinkers, etc
    4. a haul net and/or cast net (or 2 cast nets even better)
    5. A yabby pump or 2 as I just discovered a spot where we can get amongst them.
    6. Rod holders for bullbar and/or roof racks.
    7. Rod holders for beach fishing

It should be noted that I have advertised for help with gear already on the classifieds section and have not had any calls as yet.

Finally I'd also like to point out that there are others out there willing to help such boys and they include heaps of Tradies that form part of the group called: http://buildthefuture.org.au/

These guys and gals are legends and raise the money for these programs each year through the goodness of their own hearts as this program is totally self funded, though a big slab of funding also comes from the RSL who have been awesome in making it happen but it currently attracts 'no Government funding'.

And on that note I mentioned this Connect program to my regular Rod and Reel repairer guy named Ken Burgess from Frazorods at Joyner on the Northside and Ken said straight away that he'd like to help out by maintaining our reels for free on a regular basis. What a top bloke Ken is!

Anyway, enough raps for those great people for their help.

If anyone else can help with the above requests it would be most appreciated!!

Thanks heaps in advance as I know there are plenty of Ausfishers who can and I reckon will help as I have already experienced plenty of help personally.

I also reckon there's be plenty of you guys out there that have had a tough time in your past either back at school or otherwise that would be happy to help out young fella's that are doing it tough now.

All the best,

Mal

Ps. See below for details of the program:

What is the Connect program?

SU QLD’s Connect Program is a long-term adventure-based learning program designed to help young people who are at risk of suicide, are facing exclusion from school, come from broken homes or are locked into cycles of addiction.
    Connect is an early prevention and intervention program for youth at risk, providing a number of adventure camps to help young teenagers develop positive attitudes, improved self-esteem and essential life skills. As part of a holistic approach, Connect also involves key faculty and family at every stage.
    It aims to break negative habits and behavioural cycles by helping ‘at risk’ young people to critically evaluate their experiences in school and in the community, and to help them set a positive course that will support their life goals.
    The program aims to help young people to:

• Develop positive attitudes, self-esteem and a belief in themselves;
    • Be empowered to live purposeful lives;
    • Decrease their alienation from school, parents and the community; and
    • Develop caring relationships through an essential support system.

The program involves a series of adventure-based / experiential learning camps that include activities such as abseiling, hiking, canoeing and ropes courses. It is through involvement in these activities that participants learn invaluable leadership skills, self belief, team work and general life skills. Once participants have completed the Connect Program they continue to receive small group support and individual mentoring, from key people in their school and community, to ensure the skills learnt during the Program continue to be fostered.

Why?

For many young teenagers, the early – middle high school years can be a particularly difficult time and young people may feel alienated from their schools, families and communities. For some it can be a time when destructive patterns are developed, leading to dysfunctional behavioural cycles that can stay with them their whole lives. SU QLD’s Connect Program is about breaking this cycle or countering it before it begins and building in young men a foundation for life.

Re: Double Island Point land based..either side..any tips..help dissadvantaged boys

Hey Malby,
    I have a couple of spare surf rods and a few other bits and pieces that you are more than welcome to have. I live in Yandina, so you pretty much drive past me to go to DI.

PM me if you want to organise something.

Mark

Re: Double Island Point land based..either side..any tips..help dissadvantaged boys

Sunny Coast Mark you are a legend!! That is heaps appreciated mate!!!
    I will Pm you and get a phone number off you and go from there.

Mal

Think I have a couple of old alveys in the shed, you can have if that helps out. Good on you. I live part way to Rainbow beach from Gympie if that works out.

Steve

Hi Steve.

Thanks heaps,

Mark has offered 2 beach rods without reels and he thinks they are low mount rods so that would work very well.

Please PM me your details and we'll work out a time for pick up etc.

Mal