Thread: Imported Boat at Port

Imported Boat at Port

I was thinking of importing a boat (like a lot of people), but I was wondering when it arrives on a trailer that will require modifcation (brakes/coupoling/lights etc) how can you go getting it from the port to a boat shop to get the appropriate modifications done. You couldnt drie it cause it would be able to be registered? ALso what about plates on the trailer? Scott

Re: Imported Boat at Port

Tilt tray it.
    Jack.

you just require a permit from the transport department for the day. simple and easy to get.

Scott

Couple of options:

Several US trailer manufacturers can do the modification for you over there, so when it arrives, it will be ready to go

Depending on the size of the rig, it may be able to fit on a large car trailer that can be towed to the modifier

As Tunaticer suggested - tilt tray.

There are several issues with getting a permit suggested by Capt Rednut. Frst is needs to be compliant for road worthy before you move it. The US trailer coupling is not a correct fit on your towball, the safety chains will be wrong, the lights are not compliant and depending on your new rig, you will be illegal being unbraked. I would doubt that your insurance would cover you if there was an incident and you are a sitting duck for the police.

All the best
    Steve

If you are looking at bringing in a boat from USA talk to Justin Harris at Portsea Marine in Victoria.
    He can arrange to import your boat and also bring it in on one of his Peterson trailers that are built to Australian standards.
    I imported a boat last year with Justin and got one of his trailers also and I was very happy with his service and the trailer.
    Cheers Mark

Where is it going to and from, and how big is it

For heavens sake mate don't just tow it, your opening yourself up to a lot of trouble if caught.I got mine tilt trayed straight from the port to the trailer place to get it done.It was pretty convenient because they also owned the tilt tray.
    Like Steve said try and get as much/all the modifications done over there.Mine is an Ezyloader trailer and they just built mine to ADR spec...lights, brakes bla bla the only thing they didn't do was an Australian hitch but they said they were more than happy to do it if I sent one over which I didn't, It was no biggie to get it done here.

The only issue with a tilt tray is height. If it's over around 3.5m high it is to high for a tilt tray and will need a low loader, very expensive. Other option is a tow mob that have correct ball etc and will tow it behind the truck.

Have it towed by a tow truck wherever you want.
    If you buy a boat on a trailer make sure the trailer is no more than 2.5 mtrs wide, most large US trailers are 8'6' wide (2.59 mtrs). The other big one is brakes if the ATM is over 2000 kg you need brakes on all wheels and an electric actuator like a Hydrastar, Dexter or Brakerite.
    You need to change all the lights, wiring, coupling and add mudflaps, reflectors and clearance lights . You will need to put a compliance plate on as well, all you do is get the plate ( any trailer place will sell you one for like $5-10) and you punch in all the details from the USA plate. It has to be fixed on the frame so it can't be removed.
    If you buy a new boat have a new trailer built to suit ADR .
    You will need import permit for the trailer, you get that from Canberra, all you do is fill the form in and pay your $50, it can take up to 30 days depending on how busy they are.

I don't know if in QLD you still have to take it to RTA for inspection, in most states its private now. In any case you need to have it inspected and put on a weighbridge to rego it .