Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best lure for Yellow Belly

Best lure for Yellow Belly

Hello All ,
    I am after some advice on the best lures for yellow belly . My mother is 69 next week and has bought a kayak with the intention of chasing more freshwater fish . She was brought up as a kid using worms and bait and i am trying to convert her into soft plastics and hard bodied lures. What your advice ?
    Thanks in advance

Re: Best lure for Yellow Belly

RMG Poltergeist is my favourite yella lure, either the purple or the gold ones usually do ok for me. 50 or 80mm if looking for bigger beasties and there is a chance of cod bycatch. Do a deep diving model as well.

80mm, 5m version, yellow and black boomerang or Poltergiest..either will do the job

If we're talking about trolling for yellowbelly, I can't go past a Smak Blitz Baga in purple. For casting I'd go for a black & purple spinnerbait of maybe a Jackall TN60 in the Ayu colour.
    Cheers

Jackall TN70 - cast or trolled -depending on conditions colours of black/red, chart tiger & any of the greens like peacock or HLGill
    Blade - cast or trolled -Rayza 65mm Chrome Green or Gold, Matt Olive
    Hardbody - Jaz Tenterfield Shrimp 85mm, Oargee - take your pick

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    80mm, 5m version, yellow and black boomerang or Poltergiest..either will do the job
    Ive seen that particular lure catch a whopper in a yak a while back
    I used to get em on the old yellow Hot n tot that Storm made. can still get that lure.

Ive seen that particular lure catch a whopper in a yak a while back
    Wasnt easy to get the hooks out either!

can't remember the brand but i was converted last year with green and gold hard bodies..... bagged out every day for a week!

Thanks for the replys everyone ,your advice is appreciated . I think i will get one of everything mentioned and the rest is up to her ,

I dont know if this is relevant but Way back at Pindari Dam one year my mum wanted to go out and catch a yella and she hooked one on a trolled Hot n Tot.
    Landed it and it was around 2kg and it wriggled and promptly hooked mum in her right hand and required a trip to the outpatients.

So beware, lures have a lot of bycatch!
    cheers.

Sounds like stoney has had an experience with one of these yellow and black lures...????

I can't really say what is what with the yella lures(I don't target them, but I get the odd by catch whilst cod fishing}... I reckon and was also told a long time ago... If you use a green lure for cod, a yellow lure for yella's and a red lure for redfin you will be on the money. It works for me, but you will always get the difficult days where you have to drag every bit of experience out of your hat to get, if your lucky, a bump.

Scott

Yep, Stonecold is on the money with that lure.
    Totally outfished me with cod n yellas.
    Still not sure how that treble got in him but I was nowhere near him, honest!!

The offending hardware is attached to the fish!...at this point. Not long after, it was attached to the fish and ,,,well.. me. Rabbi it was in the yak apparently that counts as close enough....the story goes,, nah I cant do it Im still in deep mourning after breaking 10 inches off me favourite rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It bugged me all day trying to remember the name of the lure but eventually found it.
    Outdoor expedition Native Buster. Had most success on the green/gold darkish coloured ones.
    Let us know how she goes!

http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/onlin...pc#Description

I have a beautiful green and yellow mudeye lure from Inverell NSW and the Yellas love it. Not sure if you can still get the Mudeyes but great lures for natives