Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mackeral Hooks

Mackeral Hooks

I have been looking for quality 8/0-9/0 hooks with open eyes, so I can add swivels to join 3 or 4 in a chain....

I have been opening eyes by heating them up and using wire cutters but think there has to be a better way to go.

Thanks in advance
    Brett

Re: Mackeral Hooks

Get yourself a set of Surecatch "Big Game" pliers. The have a hook eye opener. Makes the job easy. They are adjustable so that you can only open them just enough to get the next hook through. No real need to heat the hooks.
    http://########.com.au/index.cfm?pr=...product_id=563

I use Mustad 4200 for ganging as I prefer the straight eye rather than the turned back eye you get with the 4200D which come with pre-opened eyes.

Get the pliers! You'll love em!

Stonkered, Thanks for the reply
    I have some of them at home but I was looking at something with less of a Kirb to the hook like the Mustad BIG GUN HP10829NPBLN in size 8/0 or 9/0. So the bait will swim better. Just with an open eye if possible

Cheers
    Brett

I use VMC hooks. See the pics below. Those stainless long nose pliers should be in everyone's boat anyway, they are so useful. It's not much hassle opening the eyes up on the VMC hooks. Pics show the 9/0 but the 8/0 is better I reckon. I like the straight shank of the hook and two hooks fit a pilly nicely. I don't use these to troll with though. I use the mustad stainless ones for that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wouldn't have thought the Big Guns would suit ganging too well.

The VMCs that Daintreeboy suggested don't have a kirb or offset point and sounds like they might be what you are looking for.

You'll still need to open them though.

Cheers

Ganging Big Guns work for me and have done so for about 5 years. You will need to heat the eyes up to open them or they will break. Tried and tested.

IMO the VMC's are the go, an in-line hook with a bit of shank that can be ganged. chemically sharpened and sharp out of the box. Good hooks for rigging trolled dead baits on gang style as well as floaters.

Scott

Daintreeboy,
    I have had a look for the Pliers and can't seem to find them as they look the goods... I will get a set of pliers and try heating them up and see how I go with the Big Gun hooks as I have a heap of them already.

Its a shame I cant buy an open eye hook like the Big Guns they would save a lot of effort.. I will also grab a box of the VMC's and give them a go also. Like I said in the start I am new to all this Mackeral fishing, Fingers crossed they will be around in good numbers this year

Cheers
    Brett

Brett,

Downunder Camping in Moss St Slacks Creek had a few pairs lat time I was in there. Might be worth having a look at the Capalaba store.

Cheers

Pliers like Sure catch pliers are sold at most tackle stores.

Mate I should have mentioned you don't need to heat those hooks. Just use the pliers. In any event VMC also sell similar hooks with the eye already open.

I found a pair of them pliers $38. I will be making a few rigs up on the weekend, will try heating up the eye of the hook and see how they go with the Big Guns. I also got a box of VMC's to give ago.

Cheers
    Brett

If your using a 9/0 hook thats serious fish youd be after, i wouldnt join with swivels youll will bust them all the time!!

Have a look at the Mustad 7766 hooks. I use the 7/0 for dead bait swimming and rig them with swivels in between. No heat needed just those pliers (as above) or a good set of side cutters in the eye of the hook will open them.

Mustad 7766 are what I use as well
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"