Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Berkley Nanofil - cures the pain of wind knots ( for me)

Re: Berkley Nanofil - cures the pain of wind knots ( for me)

I know it's an old thread but I thought I'd share my experience after coming back from hols and giving 3lb nanofil a decent workout over a week.

The Good: casts like a dream and really zings through the guides
    The Bad: lots of wind-knots! I used 3lbs fireline crystal on the same outfit before the nanofil and didn't have any wind-knots but with the nanofil, I had at least 10% of wind-knots!!!
    The Ugly: the line broke twice for no obvious reason! The first time on strike but I got lucky and the line got caught in branches, so I got the fish and more importantly $17 of lure back! The second time, I couldn't believe my eyes as I saw a 5 cm piece of line fly of the reel, and then a second later my cleanly cut line disappear through the guides!!!

Now as I said in the "Good" section, when it works it really casts like a dream and also I had no problems with knots (btw the stuff is reaaally slippery) or landing fish (up to 50cm flatties), but when it doesn't work, i.e. wind-knot, it's really a joy killer and I can't wait to try fireline exceed instead. I'm also a big fan of microfuse but it looks like it's been discontinued and sadly my beloved SOL 2000 which was spooled with microfuse went for a swim and never came back...

So that's my feedback, fireline still rocks and nanofil (in the 3lbs) sucks big time!

I am still really enjoying the 6lb nanofil with few problems. The 4lb though is still irritating how difficult it is to get a satisfactory knot you can trust with it.

Taking Paulus' advice I have adopted the doubled blood knot for the leader connection and having very good success with it, even though it is the most painful knot in the world to tie. With the 6lb nano i am regularly busting 10lb Nitlon DFC leaders, with the 4lb nano I can pop 6lb Nitlon DFC leaders once i get a satisfactory leader knot tied.

I will stay with this nanofil until it needs replacement. Might give exceed a run next time around.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    The 4lb though is still irritating how difficult it is to get a satisfactory knot you can trust with it.
    I use the 3lbs and 6lbs Nitlon, so I know what you mean! I have had no luck with various albrights variations but I am 100% happy with the FG knot ( ). I simply use an elastic band for tensioning (i.e. no fancy gadget required) and do about 20 wraps, then half-dozen half hitches to close it off, never had a breakage at the knot.

I use the 3kg nanofill and im finding the balling a problem, ie i get tufts of fluff , and no wind knots but as ive said earlier i add slight tension to any braid i use by running it through first 2 fingers of hand holding the rod..

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    I use the 3kg nanofill and im finding the balling a problem, ie i get tufts of fluff , and no wind knots but as ive said earlier i add slight tension to any braid i use by running it through first 2 fingers of hand holding the rod..
    you must use a baitcaster. Not possible with a threadline is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    you must use a baitcaster. Not possible with a threadline is it?
    yes it is., and i feel every touch, will find you a photo..

well,im still a fan,have had a 8lb going for months now,prob 30-40 sessions old,couple of hundred flathead and i cannot fault it,

Knot strength = no problems
    wind knots = No
    Fluff balls = No
    Sensitivity = high
    Castability = awesome

Dont know why many are having issues,i will be spooling my next few rods with it.

You will have less trouble with 8lb of any brand compaired to 3lb of any brand ,the ultra fine diamiters of the new braids makes it harder to tie knots with the harder fluro leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    You will have less trouble with 8lb of any brand compaired to 3lb of any brand ,the ultra fine diamiters of the new braids makes it harder to tie knots with the harder fluro leaders.
    very true ........ 3 & 4 lb braid can be a nightmare (the rod & or reel can play havoc) ...... how you cast , the weight of the lure all come into effect. ..... My little stella 2000 could not run any braid under 8lb without issues - the 4lb nanofil has seen 1 wind knot in maybe 20 sessions - previously it would have been a couple of times per session - ........ therefore in my own mind it is a big improvement (not perfect) but a big improvement

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I spooled my SIENNA 1000 with 3lb lanofil yesterday. Its thin.

Im not happy, I cant get a knot to hold.

Thought Ide be smart & went to Berkely website for correct knot. (NANOFIL tm KNOT)

It breaks under very slight pressure. like cotton. so does UNIknot, and bloodknot.

Im not game to try to cast, I tie the knot give it tug, it breaks.

I cannot break the line by hand, only breaks at the knot.

I know it user error (me), but after being competent at Mono knots last 40 yrs, this stuff is really starting to p___ me off.

Sales dude at FTW, told me join to leader using UNIknots, except do 10 turns on the nano, usual 5 on the mono.
    It breaks very easily.

Ill research NAGGs' Harros, (locked version of an improved Albright??)

Can super glue help as per braids?

Im gonna go through Geoff Wilsons braid Knot book, see what I come up with, although this aint braid, its plastic???

Help.
    Last edited by Sparkx; 15-01-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typos

Hi Sparkx, I got the good word from Paulus about the best knot for the Nanofil and I have to say it works very very well. The old blood knot with a doubled braid end. Pain in the arse to tie quickly with the doubled nano but I got it sussed now and it holds well. Just fold over 40cm or so of the nanofil and tie a bloodknot with 8 wraps of the nanofil and 5 wraps of the leader, then trim all tags off close.

Handy hint I worked out, tie the end of the nanofil back up the line with a simple single overhand knot then run the doubled area through your mouth and it sits together nicely to tie the knot. the single overhand easily undoes when you need to it after trimming the knot.
    Jack.

Thanks Tuna

Ok I tried the double blood to terminal, it seems strong. Cant work out double blood for joining lines???? Is there a diagram somewhere?

My saliva not as sticky as yours, it helped but halfway through lines started to split appart.

when I removed the overhand at top of double, i got a small frey on main line. this stuff seems too high maintenance.

I want to make this stuff work, but a little voice inside is saying " let it go, go back to simple mono".

Sparkx, if i could give you a little hint, light braids cant handle the stress of tightening the knot by pulling both together, what i do is a uni knot with 4 wraps of leader to 6 wraps of braid, the secret is to tie the 4 wrap of leader to the braid then pull the leader tight into a knot gripping the braid, you then tie braid with 6 wrap uni and pull together, the idea is to get the leader into tight knot gripping leader without any stress on braid.

Just throwing it out there ........ but why do you guys use 3lb Nanofil anyway ?
    Nanofil 4lb is thin ...... but there is a huge difference between the userfriendliness of the 4lb when compared to the 3 lb .
    6lb is still very thin & what you can gain over the 3 & 4lb is massive! - I've used 3,4,6 & 8lb ........ the 6 is my favorite & I honestly feel that I gain SFA by using the 3 & 4lb ...... but loose a lot . If the fish (usually bream in shallow / gin clear water) are gun shy then go down in leader size ...... & increase the length .......... so for me it would be 6lb Nanofil & 6ft of 6lb FC leader - IMO the leader system has a greater effect than the actual main line (to a certain extent)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    If the fish (usually bream in shallow / gin clear water) are gun shy then go down in leader size ...... & increase the length[/I] .......... so for me it would be 6lb Nanofil & 6ft of 6lb FC leader - IMO the leader system has a greater effect than the actual main line (to a certain extent)

Chris
    Agree, 6lb is the lightest i will go and is thin enough to get very good casting distance. I have no reason to go lighter when the leader is the business end of the line and i can tie on a thinner leader to spooky fish. Only reason i can see is casting distance. This can said for any main lines really.