Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Berkley Nanofil - cures the pain of wind knots ( for me)

Re: Berkley Nanofil - cures the pain of wind knots ( for me)

Tunaticer
    Try a 20 lowrider reverrsed .16k frame,12 k, 10k,3x8k .All the k frame single foots titanium same as the lowrider. Awesome distance improvement but looks a little different.
    Graham

Hi Guys.
    Well i had a reader send me a 4lb sample, thank you for that, and I am still waiting on the 6 and 10lb from you readers, thats how the listing works.

I treated and tested this as a plastic line as that is what it seems to be, and a non stretch version at that, did not see mention of the word braid.

Well i thought we maybe we may have entered a new millennium with some honesty with this one, but the old methods still exist, so it's a lot thicker than listed and more than double the breaking strain.

I did park it under braid but maybe it should go under plastic lines.

Thanks again to the poster who sent it in
    Paulus

Quote Originally Posted by Paulus View Post
    Hi Guys.
    Well i had a reader send me a 4lb sample, thank you for that, and I am still waiting on the 6 and 10lb from you readers, thats how the listing works.

I treated and tested this as a plastic line as that is what it seems to be, and a non stretch version at that, did not see mention of the word braid.

Well i thought we maybe we may have entered a new millennium with some honesty with this one, but the old methods still exist, so it's a lot thicker than listed and more than double the breaking strain.

I did park it under braid but maybe it should go under plastic lines.

Thanks again to the poster who sent it in
    Paulus

Yeh Paulus

Its multi fillaments of micro dyneema ....... that they have somehow extruded with some sort of polymer - so its not a braid or a mono ..... .. certainly unique ( I would rate it similar to fireline in breaking strain ....... breaks way over )

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

spooled up a couple reels with 4lb and 6lb. the only downside to it that i can see is it seems to fray alot more than braid. went for a quick flick down the river this morn to our usual spot and had to re-tie twice cos the line frayed. never had an issue with braid at the same spot.

cheers, aaran.

I reckon you should check the guides on your rod Aaran. That is more likely to be the cause of any fraying.

I have been using nanofil for the last 5-6 weeks (every week) and have not had any fraying issues. Crystal fireline was subject to fraying as it aged, but this stuff is waaay better.

Another improvement is that the line doesn't bury itself in the spool when you get a good fish on. The next cast is as easy as the one before...

Cheers

Pete

Any of the fused braids would be subject to fraying - once the coating or fusing breaks down exposing the individual fibres of GSP.
    The best braids will always be the true braids - but usually in the lower breaking strains the majority of fishoes suffer when using them.
    Nanofil wont be everything to everyone ..... just a alternative ( that does work in reducing wind knots) ....... & does not cost any more than the alternatives.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Just a bit of an update on the Nanofil .......

It's been used enough now to convince me that it is a better alternative to other fused braids that I have used on spin gear.
    I've been using 4 , 6 & 8lb and have been windknotless over 3 different outfits ...... so that is a huge plus
    My only criticism is that the line does become discoloured when fishing dirty water

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I had to ditch the first ten metres of nanofil 6lb on saturday due to line twist. I trolled a placcy that must have been twisting pretty bad.
    Noticed the casts were shorter so when i got home i had a better look at the line, twisted quite badly.
    Tried half a dozen things to remove the twist, but no go. Being a plastic I think it took the set and retained it. I could run the line firmly between my thumbnail and forefinger and the twist would show badly ahead of it, run right out to the end and the line twists and twirls to get rid of the twist, then as soon as you go past the end it would take the twist back on board.
    I like the line for its fast sink and good casting, it holds knots reasonably well and haven't had a single tip wrap or wind knot with it in several thousand casts.
    Downside is the twist and its wirey characterisitics, not like a true braid that runs a direct line to the jig with no coiling. Fishing with heavier jigheads cures this so maybe it is better suited to deeper work??
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I had to ditch the first ten metres of nanofil 6lb on saturday due to line twist. I trolled a placcy that must have been twisting pretty bad.
    Noticed the casts were shorter so when i got home i had a better look at the line, twisted quite badly.
    Tried half a dozen things to remove the twist, but no go. Being a plastic I think it took the set and retained it. I could run the line firmly between my thumbnail and forefinger and the twist would show badly ahead of it, run right out to the end and the line twists and twirls to get rid of the twist, then as soon as you go past the end it would take the twist back on board.
    I like the line for its fast sink and good casting, it holds knots reasonably well and haven't had a single tip wrap or wind knot with it in several thousand casts.
    Downside is the twist and its wirey characterisitics, not like a true braid that runs a direct line to the jig with no coiling. Fishing with heavier jigheads cures this so maybe it is better suited to deeper work??
    That's interesting Jack - I've only fished placcies & HBs with no trolling but could imagine such a thing with the line being so stiff .
    The line does have a bit of a memory so I can hear what you are saying with the heavier jig heads - I've fished down to 1/6th which were fine but typically 1/4s & 3/8ths .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah Chris, I fish 1/12 or 1/8 typically for snapper and occasionally 1/6. 1/4 is too heavy off Redcliffe as a rule.
    Seems the nanofil holds tortion memory quite well, doesn't seem to have too much other memory though.
    Jack.

i did have a bit of line twist too drifting plastics last time i went out which i think led to my first guide wrap in high wind on the cast. but for the most part its been good. casting distance is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by seriola ilandi View Post
    i did have a bit of line twist too drifting plastics last time i went out which i think led to my first guide wrap in high wind on the cast. but for the most part its been good. casting distance is good too.
    I cant work out why you get more line twist with a round smooth line like nanofil ...... its not too far off monofilament in roundness. A braid like fireline would be a shocker then in your situation .
    The only other thing is - how well are the placcies rigged (are they spinning ? ..... too light a jig head maybe ?) ........ it would be helpful to know so I can avoid it

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I cant work out why you get more line twist with a round smooth line like nanofil ...... its not too far off monofilament in roundness. A braid like fireline would be a shocker then in your situation .
    The only other thing is - how well are the placcies rigged (are they spinning ? ..... too light a jig head maybe ?) ........ it would be helpful to know so I can avoid it

Chris
    yeah chris, to be clear i only got a very small amount of line twist, not a huge amount by any means and its only happened this once from twelve outings. on this day it was a big run with high wind in same direction so the drift was quite fast. MY placcies are generally rigged well as i will re do one rather than sticking with a dodgy set up. it could have been the result of the high rate of drift. i normally jig jerk shads across the bottem for flatties on 1/8 - 1/4 rather than 'swim' softies on the drift. so maybe on this day they did spin a touch cos of the high drift.

having said that though, its a great line - having confidence to cast long and hard without the fear of losing gear or damaging rod guides is great!

Quote Originally Posted by seriola ilandi View Post
    yeah chris, to be clear i only got a very small amount of line twist, not a huge amount by any means and its only happened this once from twelve outings. on this day it was a big run with high wind in same direction so the drift was quite fast. MY placcies are generally rigged well as i will re do one rather than sticking with a dodgy set up. it could have been the result of the high rate of drift. i normally jig jerk shads across the bottem for flatties on 1/8 - 1/4 rather than 'swim' softies on the drift. so maybe on this day they did spin a touch cos of the high drift.

having said that though, its a great line - having confidence to cast long and hard without the fear of losing gear or damaging rod guides is great!
    It's always good to hear others feedback , so thanks! ...... Opinions on line vary so much because they often vary from outfit to outfit , so the more feedback the better. - I know of a few mates that are using the stuff now & the feedback has been really positive .
    I'm now keen to see how everyone goes with the longevity of nanofil .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

i noticed the other day some fraying or delamination of the fibres in the last two metres of the line. i have also noticed a few fibres in the braid leader knot on occasions also. i have checked my guides on a near new rod twice and cannot see a crack in the inserts although it can be difficult to see... The nanofil was used on about ten fishing trips. The last two metres of the braid would last about one to two trips before 'replacement' due to the large lengths needed to tie my connection. Has anyone noticed this fraying in the nano before.