Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new tow vehicle

Re: new tow vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by nickstock View Post
    Marty,

I have a GXL V8 Ute and it is the ducks nuts. With a decent exhaust and chip you can over take on the highway as good as any other four wheel drive on the market.

The interior is not flash however for me it is a bush truck. In the last 12 weeks alone I have done four trips up the Cape and cannot fault it. I have had water half way up the windscreen, more dust and corrugations than you can poke a stick at and is still running perfect (as it should be).

I was worried about the low position of the alternator and a few other electrical problems and have not had a problem. Mine has done about 50 % Road 50% bush work and have never had a single problem in the 80 000 kms on the clock.

If anyone was going to find issues in a four wheel drive it would be me! And I have not found any yet.

For a tow vehicle they are awesome and pretty good on fuel. I am unsure on what tonne boat your pulling but I think it was a big Platey from memory? I have towed a 7 meter Signature and it feels like your hardly breaking a sweat. I am not 100% sure on figures when towing however it is a lot less than my non turbo 100 series towing.

A combined fuel usage of around town and high way work sees me getting around 13.2 liters to the 100kms. My old man did a trip up here from Melbourne in the car and averaged 12.1 liters driving like a granny. I think that you would be hard pressed to get the 11.5 liters / 100kms like Toyota states however I do have a full sized canopy, dog cages, 3'' lift ect on it which would use a bit more.

Cheers,
    Nick
    Nick, are they still chewing thru the oil?? I know toyota brought some cheap steel from china for there engine blocks and other bits and was very pouris (sp) hence bad bore pitting, hope they went away with that, have you chipped your yet?
    I need to work harder and longer as the people on welfare need more people like me

Those 4.2 litre 6 cylinder Nissan diesels may not be the most economical or funky motor but hell the are a good proven reliable plant.

Unless it is Buggered, pay out the residual and keep it, because you will go a long way to find anything as reliable.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

G'day for my 50k go a Colorado or isuzu dmax dual cab 3l turbo diesel will tow 3t standing on its ear and very nice to drive

Quote Originally Posted by DOGFIGHT View Post
    Nick, are they still chewing thru the oil?? I know toyota brought some cheap steel from china for there engine blocks and other bits and was very pouris (sp) hence bad bore pitting, hope they went away with that, have you chipped your yet?
    Mine is still under warranty so I get it serviced at a mechanics yet I have never topped up the oil myself yet. I check it about once a month and have not needed too.

Decision made, order placed....
    2011 Landcruiser Ute GXL Silver
    -Winch bar and Winsh, steel colour coded bar and after market 3"exhaust turbo back.
    This is what sold me....NO LUXURY VEHICLE TAX on these utes, understandably not much luxury there but they certainly arnt cheap.

Thanks for all your info guys but after a huge search in the market I had no choice. I have delayed over the last year waiting for Nissan to bring out a beast but still nothing and no one at Nissan knows anything.

Thanks for all your help fellas

Cheers
    Marty
    Oh what a feeling.......
    Living the dream, Barry

What's a 'winsh". Is that like a "wench" lol

4.2 litre ??
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Marty,

that patrol was a beast, saying that my Brother in Law went from a late model 4.2 to what your getting for up in the mines...hasnt regretted it and i reckon you wont either. Will pin your ears back mate up hills
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    What's a 'winsh". Is that like a "wench" lol

4.2 litre ??

Sorry I had food in my mouth...winch...thats better. Its a 4.5L TD
    Living the dream, Barry

Hey Marty,

I have the Nissan 4.2 turbo wagon with 3" system and it is adequate for my boat.

A mate of mine has the current toyota cruiser V8 turbo diesel wagon $$$$$$ - we used it to tow my boat to Bris from near Cairns - what an awesome tow vehicle.

I've had the other 4.2l Toyota 80 series and what a non event - but the new V8 diesel pulls really well and his did burn oil at beginning but is all fixed up now - no major repairs I believe but tuning or similar and fixed during a service he said.

I have favoured Nissan and do still like the type of tractor diesel I have - I have driven these 4.2l diesels since 1992- but if I was in the market then a current toy V8 diesel would be my choice once I calmed down from the price tag.
    Cheers

Trev

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...d=12E78E12353E

Bit over $50k, but I think it has a 4500kg tow rating.