Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinegar V's Midgees

Vinegar V's Midgees

Here's another one of my shed experiments. Vinegar used against Midgee and Mozzy strike.
    You know when these little buggar's mass, and then stage a relentless kamakazie blood sucking strike, right on que when the fish are on the chew. Your then forced to don a blend of potentent chemicals to keep them at bay. Use Vinegar instead ,brown or white malted or non malted doesn't matter just as long as it's Vinegar that's all that matters.

All I do, is keep a spray bottle filled with the stuff and spray your self with it just the same as that other gear you've been using. (No brand names here!)

The pay off's are. It's not such a nasty chemical as the others are.
    If it get's on your hand's the scent trace will be far lesser than the other alternative and it will quickly dilute in salt water, there for not putting the fish of your freshly baited temptation.
    It's far cheaper than the other per litre. It's a natural product against a natural problem. And it does work. Just recently I field tested the whole idea and I was quite happy with the outcome. Mozzy's will come in for the landing but the bitting stage is halted faily quicly, the acidic suprise dampens the party. That's got to be a plus!

Give it a run you've got nothing to loose........

Happy Fathers Day Boy's have a good weekend
    "If I am going too burn time let it be holding my rod. For when it is time to lay me at rest let it be a Viking burial at it's best. Give back for what I have Taken."

Re: Vinegar V's Midgees

one I have always used is 80% baby oil and 20% dettol in a squirt bottle and just give it a shake before using . can use the homebrand stuff as well you don't need the expensive stuff
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

STUIE63 now that's an interesting mix I'll have too give this a go as well.

Cheers Gavin.
    "If I am going too burn time let it be holding my rod. For when it is time to lay me at rest let it be a Viking burial at it's best. Give back for what I have Taken."

it gets a bit oily but doesn't irritate the skin . I first came across it on a charter in the territory . you also only have to put it on every 4-6 hours
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Hey if it's oily that's ok because that's what's shielding you against them. It would make your skin a bastard of a run way too land on and the dettol would most likely taste like the shizers so yeah... I can see how that would work well up the top end, cause up there that's solid Mozzy country.

Quote Originally Posted by STUIE63 View Post
    one I have always used is 80% baby oil and 20% dettol in a squirt bottle and just give it a shake before using . can use the homebrand stuff as well you don't need the expensive stuff
    Stuie

It definetly works, thats what we used to use to keep the march flies off when I worked in the bananas up north (but even that didn't work for long against those nasty critters), the only down side of it is that you tend to roast pretty quick in the sun.

I like the idea of having vinegar for the midgees, the vinegar would also be quickly available for jellyfish stings.

(No brand names here!)

have a good weekend ...wouldn't that be trademarked TLS?

Good suggestion too and tried and tested as well, excellent.

How does it go with sunscreen for daylight use? Dilutes the sunscreen?

Don't know about that yet I've overlooked this detail.... I'll be working outside doing house duties tomorrow, the current weather has made me house bound.

What'll I'll do is cover one arm with sunscreen, then apply the vinegar, on the other arm It'll just have sunscreen that's the control of the experiment. at the end of the day check for sunburn.

4x4 you might be right in your thinking that the vinegar might well breakdown the sunscreen as vinegar is a very good cleaning solution.....Good thought.

Hey here's the thing people get paid to be human guineapigs.... where's my pay check?

STUIE63 your remedy sounds brilliant for night use, and the pay off for you is a two in one deal.... You have a solution to the midgees and Mozzy's and when your knife get's blunt your mix makes a top honeing oil.

The dettol and oil works a treat but I use a 50/50 mix with a few drops of tea tree oil in it ,my grand dad taught me this one many many years ago, he was a pro crabber in central Qld, when I was in the military, I had the army supplied stuff ,which works great but stinks to high heaven and to be honest I dont think it can be all that god for your skin,I came to this conclusion after witnessing my t shirt start to dissolve, after putting some on. have been using the dettol oil mix since.
    THOUGHT OF THE DAY

Live life like a dog,If you cant eat it or hump it ,
    pee on it and walk away.

Snasman your granddad would've proved his mix because I'd reckon he would've ended up in tropical creek's so thick with flying blood suckers, I'd also reckon that oxygen level would be around 80% flying nusance and 20% air. Those boys work hard for a living up there.
    You too have used the army issue magic green squirt bottle It works wonders and does it's job well But the bloody quarter master wouldn't bend on telling you on whats in the stuff. Your T-shirt proves that. My green's faided faster than normal.

The dettol and sunscreen works you can see them mass to attack then hover and debate about how hungry they are.Feels like crap though.
    Spray any of the well known brands on to a painted surface or perspex and watch what DEET does to it and then wonder whether you want to put it on your skin or more importantly your kids skin.
    Got bitten pretty savagely by sandflies a few years ago and was going insane with the itch by the fifth day tried all sorts of Exxy chemist type products that did nothing but Vinegar was a godsend instant relief,just sat with a bowl of vinegar and a washcloth wiped myself over everytime I finished a beer all good the next day.
    So dont know whether it'll stop em but it will sure as hell treat the after affects.
    But thanks for the tip I'll give it a try.

Gunnabuild1 I've just googled DEET and Mc shizers no more for me No wonder the stuff used to give me a slight headache. In large doses the side effects aren't to pretty at all. That's why I've tried to find another remedy other than an off the shelf spray can full of goodies.
    I knew that Permethrin oil would do the trick but if this stuff gets on your hands it gets on your bait as well, end result it puts the fish off. So that's why I tested vinegar used neat in a spray bottle. No real side effects other than be carefull near your eyes when using. The benefits are that if this comes incontact with
    your bait the scent trace is diluted in the saltwater unlike the other choices.

Quick home experiment:

You need: 4 large glasses of saltwater
    solution 1: VINEGAR
    solution 2: Sunscreen+dettol
    solution 3: Permethrin oil (any hardware store will have it)
    solution 4: Every day insect reppelent (No brand names here!)

Process: simply place a small amount of each solution in each glass, the result is right infront of you. That's what's happening to you and your bait.....very interesting

My mix is 1 part dettol, 1 part baby oil and 1 part metho in a spray bottle. Only thing is you have to shake the bottle after a while as it all seperates. But works really well.