Thread: Trailer coatings any ideas?

Trailer coatings any ideas?

I've just brought a 20 year old trailer for my 4.2 mt tinnie. Its been kept in a farmers shed for all that time and has never been in the salt, so no rust yet. I'll be doing some work on it, fitting a drawbar extension and other bits and pieces. Its a c channel fully galvanised type construction so there are lots of places where the salt can sit and being on tank water I don't wash the boat or trailer down often.

I'd like to coat it with something to keep the rust at bay for as long as possible. I launch it off an open beach mostly so its gunna get heaps of salt. I'm thinking about coating it in something pretty rugged like that bituman paint thats used for waterproofing or even bondcrete.

Any suggestions out there?
    Last edited by Jarrah Jack; 29-06-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: more info

Re: Trailer coatings any ideas?

We used to spray Castrol Trek adhesive compound in the inside of door panels of Jeeps and all through the chassis and sub frames, sticks like sh*t to a blanket and repels water as it's grease based. I am not sure if it's still available. Doesn't look sexy but stops the rust.

Tectyl - looks like crap but will do the job

Cheers
    Scott
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

I use lanolin applied every few months. Not as messy and crappy looking as other stuff, you get a fine coating of dust on it, but sand wont stick to as bad if you use other stuff. I find it repels water/salt nicely

Tectyl 506 will do the job, it's good stuff.

Regards

VS

All the other stuff u just need to do over again and maintain.

Use Por15 Paint.

The stuff they paint engine blocks with and paint straight over rusted metal on anything.

Hard as nails and no primer needed.

Ask for the stuff called "Sterling Silver" coz its UV resistant. Got mine from the distributor up at Mona vale. Tis goooood shyt and looks a bit like a gal colour anyway. Trailers come up sensational.

G'day

Tectyl 506, it's a valvoline product and you can get t in 4L tins. Should be about $60.

Dave

Hi. don't go thick. regular thin sprays after a wash best. lannox will do.
    New trailers treated with diluted tectyl 506 with innox( 70;30) and applied with supa cheap engine cleaning gun and air compressor will get up all hollow bits. works for me.

Ensis Fluid from Shell depots. Go for the heavy grade. Black and sprayable. Self heals any stone chips or damages on the next warm day. Never sets hard and never flakes. Actually absorbed into the steel over time and hot days. Use a kerosene spray gun with a long length of hose on it for any internal parts like box sections.
    Jack.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I appreciate the comments. Now I'll do a bit of homework on the ideas and see how I go. I"m after something thats hard wearing and will only need to apply once as I'm pretty slack sometimes.

Tunaticer..I'm in Vic and I fear the next warm day may never come at the moment.