Thread: hello from the uk

hello from the uk

Hey, my name is doug and i'm in the uk. planning to move to australia by the end of the year. I've joined up hoping to get some info on your fishing styles. i been fishing here for 21 years and a lot has changed since i started out, mainly for the worse so been thinking of where to go.

I fish mainly for predators, pike,zander,perch(redfins i think you call them), eels,bass and sharks. I also fish for carp(mudpigs) in the summer sometimes but only from rivers. All my fishing from fresh water is catch and release cos there aint enough fish to go round, but the eastern europeans are taking loads so its getting harder to catch decent fish.

So i'll be asking questions over the next few months and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Doug.

Re: hello from the uk

Gday and Welcome Doug

Mrs Benno1
    Sunny

hi doug i to am a pom been over here 4 years now and loving it fishing here is totaly different from the uk a lot depends on where you are going to settle
    so that is your first port of call then we can let you know what your likely to catch

cheers bob

Gday Mate,

As Bob has said, depending where you are going to settle will determine what type of fishing you will be doing.
    It sounds like you are into landbased freshwater type of fishing,that being the case you will need to upgrade your gear and have a go at our Barra.
    Anyhow Doug, feel free to ask any questions.
    Cheers
    Kerrod

thanks for the positive feedback people, looking to go to queensland at the mo to nail some sharks. looks like i might travel for the barra.

why chase sharks? there are so many better fish
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Quote Originally Posted by STUIE63 View Post
    why chase sharks? there are so many better fish
    Stuie

i'm just fascinated by them, after catching my first blue shark i just wanted more
    i will fish for other fish but there my main target as i love my lure fishing.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well doug when you do get here ( the best place in the world )you will catch fish so good to eat you'll forget sharks real quick mate,and queensland is beautiful one day and perfect the next have a nice trip
    hilly

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    well doug when you do get here ( the best place in the world )you will catch fish so good to eat you'll forget sharks real quick mate,and queensland is beautiful one day and perfect the next have a nice trip
    hilly

i fish for the fight , never really like eating fish that much but i'll give anything a go once. looking forward to useing my ultralight gear over there tho.
    over here in the uk i fish multiple rods, could always have one for sharks and one for other speices.
    Doug

hi doug
    you wont have time for multiple rods over here mate to many fish

If you like catching carp you can catch'em in some Oz rivers till the cows come home.

But it aint catch & release. Its more like catch 'em and chuck 'em up on the river bank to die otherwise you might get fined. You're not supposed to return them to the water.

They're a darned feral nuisance in Oz and people generally hate 'em.
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

Doug
    I think you have a bit of a suprise (a good one) coming. Trust me if you like fish that fight there are a lot of fish over here that are going to make your day. As for the ultra light gear, yeah good luck with that, these Aussie fish are going to chew that up and throw it back at you.

Have fun
    Daisy