Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Towing - Car can only tow 600kg?!

Re: Towing - Car can only tow 600kg?!

Hi marto78, the xtrail can tow 2000kgs by the car manual and i own one as well my genuine nissan towbar states 2000kgs braked, look on xtrail.com.au it is the xtrail site for all xtrails. i tow a yalta 535 all up about 1400kgs and handles it really well

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    What amases me is the length that people have to go through to see what their cars can and cannot do.

When do you stop looking elswhere for information that might contradict what was given too you when you brought the vehicle???
    If you have a newer car the specs should be on the following website, the cops are slowly moving to a system where they have live access to vehicle specs as well as any modification that have engineered. I have used this site previously although I'm no results at the moment

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/pls/w....Notify_Search

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    If you have a newer car the specs should be on the following website, the cops are slowly moving to a system where they have live access to vehicle specs as well as any modification that have engineered. I have used this site previously although I'm no results at the moment

Thats not gunna help if your from another state. Theres nothing like that here in the land of the gods (QLD)

neil

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post

Sorry, drunk.

Tim
    Whats this thread about,....!@#$ I'm with you Timmi - drunk

Mick

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

just buy a landcruiser mate problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    just buy a landcruiser mate problem solved
    Exactly. A Cruiser can handle a tad more than 600 kg...

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Yep time to upgrade the tow vehicle.
    Cheers Axl

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

What about the many people who don't run to the idiotnet every time they want a question answered ie my mum and dad??
    The information that comes WITH the vehicle should be correct because, I for one, would take the owners manual as gospel.

Just another lerk company's have now to cover their incompetent butts.
    "Oh, we changed the specs...didn't you look that up on the net before you went to the tip. You cannot tow a trailer anymore. Sorry your warranty does not cover that blown gearbox. Does not matter what the manula says. You need to look at the website before you drive the car each time" type crap.

A lot of companies change the rule mid game. And that includes the 3 level of government we have here in Aus.
    That sux.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Thanks for the overwhelming response. I am glad the majority here think its as ridiculous as I do!

Looking at Hyundai UK official site the 2.0L 2wd auto tucson can tow 1,400kg braked. Even Hyundai New Zealand official site says the 2.0L 2wd City tucson can tow 1,200kg braked. I am sure the other specs are exactly the same. http://www.hyundai.co.nz/new-cars/tucson/

The only conclusion I can come to is Hyundai Versus australian standards/govt has not seen eye to eye on something, and even though my car is capable of towing this weight they have downgraded it to cover their backsides.

Do I just go ahead and buy a boat that is 1200kg and tow it? 99% of the time the boat ramp I forsee myself using is 4.9km from home and 60km/hr speed zone. Ideally it would be nice to take the boat 400km to Hervey Bay but maybe that's something that would be worthwhile holding off on doing until I trade the Tucson in for a 4x4?

If I do go ahead and get a boat anyway, does anyone think I'll have any trouble launching the boat on any of the Gold Coast boat ramps with a 2WD front wheel drive car? At least its Automatic transmission I spose?? How far down a ramp do you usually have to drive (exhaust/rear tyres submerged)? I would hate for it to not be up to the task and end up floating down the broadwater (at this stage that would probably be a good thing though!).

Am I going to find a glass boat under 1200kg (loaded) with 16' size or is that like a needle in a haystack? I want to get a half cabin. Would a tilt trailer be needed/beneficial (does this make it less work for the tow vehicle at launching?)

I'm probably not too far away from buying a new car, but if I buy the new car before the boat then it's going to be hard to convince the Missus of getting a boat if we have just forked out 30k for a new car,,!

Quote Originally Posted by dammit View Post

Do I just go ahead and buy a boat that is 1200kg and tow it?
    No - Your insurance company will not cover you, and imo, you would be crazy to do so.

New tow Vehicle is your only option, unless your keen on a jet ski(Even that might struggle to get under 600kgs)

Mick

I tend to agree and would go by the owners manual and act dumb if pulled up, a 600 kg unbraked rating is really weird as many smaller cars have a 400 kg unbraked limit even if they can tow 1200kg it just don't make sense.
    I just wish DOTAR would just stamp it on the compliance plate, too easy I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    What about the many people who don't run to the idiotnet every time they want a question answered ie my mum and dad??
    The information that comes WITH the vehicle should be correct because, I for one, would take the owners manual as gospel.

Just another lerk company's have now to cover their incompetent butts.
    "Oh, we changed the specs...didn't you look that up on the net before you went to the tip. You cannot tow a trailer anymore. Sorry your warranty does not cover that blown gearbox. Does not matter what the manula says. You need to look at the website before you drive the car each time" type crap.

A lot of companies change the rule mid game. And that includes the 3 level of government we have here in Aus.
    That sux.

Sounds strange indeed,,,, to me I think it's a typo from the get go this figure gets quoted all the way down the line. It's hard to see why other countries have a higher rating and we don't,,,,,, can they be that different in build??????

Dave
    Avast ye matey!

I'd just tow it!, go easy an it'll be right,

my poor old mirage towed my 4.75m tinny from Gladstone too the sunshine coast!

and too the boat ramp most weekends for 9 months before i got a hilux,
    Didn't even burn a clutch,

Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxx View Post
    I'd just tow it!, go easy an it'll be right,my poor old mirage towed my 4.75m tinny from Gladstone too the sunshine coast!

and too the boat ramp most weekends for 9 months before i got a hilux,
    Didn't even burn a clutch,
    Top advice paradoxx

"A paradox is a statement or group of statements that leads to a contradiction or a situation which defies intuition"

Do yourself a favour dammit, get written approval that your existing car can tow x, that your insurance company accepts, and your policy reflects, or purchase a new tow vehicle.

From a practical point of view the car will do it easy.
    From an insurance point of view you could be declined a claim by the insurance company.
    The towing rating on cars are ridiculously low.
    It is just the lawyers interfering with our lives again.