Thread: Gas Fittings

Gas Fittings

Hi Guys,

I was looking for some quick release fittings to hook up the stove for my camper trailer. I remember seeing some on a camper trailer at the camping show a couple of years ago. (I guess it gets them around having a permant gas system with the regulations)

I just use a portable stove in the camper trailer and everytime we pull up I have to hook up the gas hose. I thought if i could have a permanant hose to the kitchen box at the back and then just use a quick release fitting to plug the stove in when we pull up.

Any thoughts??

Re: Gas Fittings

Not 100% positive but I think I read somewhere that quick release bayonet fittings do not conform to ADRs for gas......

Thanks GBC

I kind of thought that might have been the case. But I just remember seeing them once.

Cheers

in the south, where people use gas heaters in their houses.....they have quick release fittings for that purpose.

To have any durisdiction under ADRs the gas system would have to be "installed" and then the whole thing ceases to be portable and requires a gas fitter and so on.

The question to ask is..................is it permissable to use quick release fittings on portable gass equipment?

Just thinking..with all this regulation..it probably isn't legal to make up your own gas connection hoses...unless you have the appropriate cirtification.

with a few vehicles blowing up recently the authorities and the coroprate safety typpes are paranoid about gas in vehicles.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Thanks Old Boot,

I have always been weary of gas and dont like the idea of anything that is sus anyway. So I guess i will just continue to do what I do.

The issue is that the gas bottle gets covered in mud/sand ect when traveling then you pull up and have to try to make sure the fitting is clean before I connect up my portable stove.

I was thinking if I could run a hose to a regulator (mounted on the trailer) then a hose from the regulator to the inside of the trailer (where the fitting will always be clean) with a quick release fitting. So when I pull up, its just a matter of plugging in the stove and turning the gas bottle on. Quick simple and easy.

Back to the drawimg board!

How about a bag or cover for the gas cylinder....or at least some sort of bung or cover for the connector.

If you look at most of the fuel tankers and quite a few other trucks they have an " officilay sanctioned" plastic bag over their fire extinguishers.

If you have a gas hose routed to inside the trailer there is still a risk of gass leakage into the confined space.

good to hear the gas bottle is outside the trailer.

cheers

My camper bcame came with a bayonet type fitting. Gas routed thru regulator to front of camper. Roll out kitchen. Remove plug from fitting & plug in stove. Seems to be a seal of some sort in the plug as it takes a fair pressure to connenct the stove. Factory fitted & came with gas certificate. Never a sign of a leak in 5 years. Buggest drama is not to lose the plug. Bill

most servo's have the plugs now days. Mines been fitted with one on the last 3 fills. I've just taken them off to use on my other gas bottles that don't get filled that often
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Quote Originally Posted by freefish View Post
    My camper bcame came with a bayonet type fitting. Gas routed thru regulator to front of camper. Roll out kitchen. Remove plug from fitting & plug in stove. Seems to be a seal of some sort in the plug as it takes a fair pressure to connenct the stove. Factory fitted & came with gas certificate. Never a sign of a leak in 5 years. Buggest drama is not to lose the plug. Bill

Yeh note... came with a gas certificate......so it was fitted and certified by a gas fitter.
    Any repairs, replacement of parts will need to be certified by gas fitter.
    And upon sale or transfer of regestration the installation will have to be inspected and certified by a gas fitter and a gas certificate supplied.

cheers

Probably the set up that I have seen.

Not going to go down the path of needing a gass certificate thats for sure.

Thanks for the imput guys! Might use the bag idea and just put up with it how it is.

I bought quick release gas fittings from bunnings about 3 years ago for my camper kitchen and never had a problem cheers Rod.