Thread: Jason from Southside Brisbane

Jason from Southside Brisbane

Hello all. I've actually been lurking on these forums for a while and have spent countless hours trawling through the archives, so I figured it was high time that I joined the Ausfish community.

Although I'm 25 I'm still quite new to fishing. I only fished on a couple of occasions as a kid and for some reason I didn't get into it. That's a shame as I grew up just a 15 minute bike ride away from the Clarence River. However, seeing in the 2009 fishing the Pumicestone Passage with some mates piqued my interest. Then Dad gave me a hand-me-down Alvey 40A that is older than me and I havn't looked back.

I ended up buying a 500B/7R combo from K-Mart for $45 and have done most of my fishing with that, usually around the Redcliffe Peninsula, often with little success but always with a great deal of pleasure.

Looking forward to being able to contribute to Ausfish now, might even ask some question, but don't worry, I've already got the searching down pat

Re: Jason from Southside Brisbane

Cheers and welcome to the forum,

welcome to the board mate

Quote Originally Posted by augmaticdisport View Post

I ended up buying a 500B/7R combo from K-Mart for $45 and have done most of my fishing with that, usually around the Redcliffe Peninsula, often with little success but always with a great deal of pleasure.

Mate, the tackle snobs will think that rig to be a little modest but, trust me, you will catch just as many fish on that as the "big hat, no cattle" blokes will with their $$$$$ gear.

Fishing is a percentage game. To catch fish, you actually have to throw a line into the water - ie go fishing heaps and you will catch heaps of fish. It may not be every day but that is why they call it "fishing" and not "catching"

Good luck with your fishing.

Welcome Jason.
    Nothing wrong with the good old Alvey. Plenty of the fish you see in the photos from years ago were 99% Alvey caught as that was all they had access to most of the time, or wanted to use. I have 5 Alveys here(1 is a 650C5 with 2 spools too). Like all the brouchers say, if the reel gets sandy, just dip it in the water to wash it. Can't do that with expensive overheads or spinning reels. All gear has it's place.
    Once you get bitten by the bug it never leaves you.
    My dad had me fishing when I was but a wee tike and that was actually with a Mitchel egg-beater on a rod I still have.