139. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Mitsubishi Triton 2.5L Turbo Diesel

69 49.64%
  • New Ford Ranger 3.0L Turbo Diesel

70 50.36%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Ford Ranger vs New Triton

Re: New Ford Ranger vs New Triton

yeah that's the big question. my olds just bought one, an XLT. Dad was a bit iffy letting me take it for a spin in the mud (only had it a week haha). Was just tossing up the idea of getting the new one and getting one up on the old boy. New one's due out about mid next year so its a bit of a wait. Got a feeling though if i wait till early next year I might be able to score one at a steal when they starting clearing stock to make way for the new one.

Dad ended up with a changeover of 38k even with bullbar, towpack, rusdtproofing (both the spray on and electronic) and a bit more gear. Traded in a 05 2.4l rodeo. I'll be able to get a bit better as my car's worth a bit more than his.

Scott,
    I will be interested in your findings. I just got back from Weipa on the weekend and saw a Triton and a new common rail Patrol broken down on the side of the road with issues.

I was in the same boat as you mate but have decided on a new Cruiser ute as I feel that they will see many more years service for my money on Cape Yorks roads then a flimsy independent front end ute. The initial high purchase price of a L'cruiser is a bugger however they have excellent resale.

If I was only towing a boat around town to the ramp and did very litle offroad then I would have bought a Colorado or D max but the Cruiser ticked all boxes for me.

If only Toyota made a half decent duel Cab that can tow 3 tonne.

Nick Stock

Yeah Nick, in an Ideal world i would go with a tojo, but my budget confines me. I don't like purchasing 2nd hand as it has bitten me on the arse before....buying someone else's problems and all that, especially on a vehicle that is designed and intended for offroad use. you just don't get many around here that are in good cond because they are usually flogged out, especially on older cars, with the new price tag of a cruiser being way out of my range, even one a year or 2 old would be out of reach for me Whcih would be the only way i would buy second hand again, late model in near new condition.

Won't be doing any real hardcore stuff, but might end up doing a cape trip later down the track, though will be well prepared.

One of the downsides i can forsee with the ranger/BT50 is the front mount intercooler, I might have a look at moving that to a top mount and adding a scoop....but again, depends just how much off road and water work she will get. I'd like to thik it will be a decent amount but I won't know for sure until I get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post

One of the downsides i can forsee with the ranger/BT50 is the front mount intercooler, I might have a look at moving that to a top mount and adding a scoop....but again, depends just how much off road and water work she will get. I'd like to thik it will be a decent amount but I won't know for sure until I get one.
    Yeah, had mine coming up for 4 odd months now Scott and had no problems with it.
    Will be changing the shockies over for some aftermarket XGS Golds when I get chance and some other TJM stuff as well when I get chance / $$$.

Just racked up the 10,000 Km and had it's first Logbook service at UltraTune last week at $230.00; still some $100.00 cheaper than Ford service and warranty isn't voided either.

Taking it for a road trip to Brisbane for Xmas and going to look at a trip to Tangalooma for some beach driving as well before heading back to Cairns.
    Regards,

Andrew.
    =============
    W: www.agt.id.au
    M: 0410 834 486

haven't had time to read all posts so I hope this hasn't been covered. someone sent me this link today about a triton with a breaking in half issue.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99859

yeah seen that, my Brother was looking at it the other day.

The issue isn't just a triton one, there have been several incidences across all makes and models of the 'light' dual cab utes with this happening, but so far has only been affecting the tub body utes. Something to do with the towbar being so far back from the rear axle is putting too much stress on the chassis when offroad and towing.

That particular car in the link was NOT overloaded as some people may think, tow weight was under capacity as was load in the car so GCM was well under the ratings. Just a matter of having the towball too far back and i think hammering along too hard. Problem is being sorted via insurance. But once again, not isolated to mitsubishi, I have seen all the different makes in this class vehicle with the same problem and everytime it has been when towing loads over 1.5ton off road. Solution: don't tow off road

And that's another reason why I prefer the ranger, the towball sits about a foot closer to the rear axle than the triton and you still get the same space in the tray.

I might be waiting until next year to have a look at this Ranger:-

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...bo-diesel_star

A 3.2-litre five-cylinder turbo-diesel will be the halo engine for Ford’s new Ranger ute series.

Ford Australia, at the international launch this week of its global ute, says the Duratorq engine is rated at a strong 147kW and 470Nm.

The engine is a development of the PSA Peugeot Citroen-Ford “Puma” drivetrain alliance and is effectively a four-cylinder 2.5-litre turbo-diesel PSA-Ford engine with an extra cylinder.

Ford Asia Pacific president Joe Hinrichs says the engine is made in Britain but would soon be produced at Ford’s new Port Elizabeth factory in South Africa.
    The in-line five will be joined by a four-cylinder 2.2-litre Duratorq turbo-diesel with 375Nm of torque, and a single petrol engine, a four-cylinder 2.5-litre Duratec engine.

Ford’s global truck product manager, Gary Boes, says final power and torque for the smaller engines, together with fuel economy data, wasn’t being released until closer to the mid-2011 launch. But he says the Ranger will be capable of “up to 1500kg’‘ of payload, depending on specification.

The ute rides on Ford’s conventional wishbone front suspension and a live axle with over-axle mounted leaf springs. It will come with the full suite of safety equipment, including stability control, side and curtain airbags and electronics to control trailer sway.

LP.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

looks pretty sexy, but the big question is How much?? Only have a budget of 40k +/- a couple grand

I reckon the base model will be under 40K. I see Ford trying to break the strangle hold on the 4 x 4 d/cab grip that Nissan, Toyo have.

I know that Holden ( colorado ), Mitshubishi ( Triton ) and Mazda ( BT50 ) have a foot in the door.

From memory VW are bringing out a 4 x4 dualcab. ??? Did I forget the Isuzu D-max ?

Reading a few bits in the website, the newer Ranger ( T6 ) will be bigger than the current Ranger and will sit ( size etc ) in between a Ranger and an F 100. That'll suit me just fine.

147KW and 470nm Torque...... sounds perfect. Did I read it correct that the rear springs will sit ' on top ' of the rear axle ???

LP.

yeah rear springs on top of the axle....don't know what, if any, benefit that will have, but then, I'm hardly a 4wd buff.

Will be interesting to see anyway, i would expect it to be released around mid year I reckon, will have my car well and truly paid off by then, and a nice chunk of deposit too, which will give me more wiggle room in my budget.

It will be a big car then if it's going in between the current ranger and F-100, gettin closer in size to a patrol or cruiser. So that's going to be one big lump of car to be pushing around

rear springs on top of axle for ground clearance.

been reading a few different articles on it, the car will end up with 20mm extra clearance i think compared to the current one.

Oh well, will see how it goes, though never have been super keen on buying the first series off the production line...

Supposedly has a stiffer, stronger chassis than the current one, and Ford claims it will be the stongest in the class, which I would imagine go some way to preventing the scenario linked above.

Wonder what the new tow capacity will be? with an upgraded payload of 1500kg, i would imagine they certainly wouldn't downgrade it...not that i'll ever have it fully laden to spec anyways.

Either way, when it comes closer I will either make a decision to wait a bit longer...or, get an absolute steal on the current one.

G`Day Scot, I have a 2007 rodeo with 90k ,Great vehicle but holden service extremly bad. Have a look at the chassis the d-max is boxed all the way through. I have a single cab 150mm longer wheelbase than the others. I have airbags in the back and have wound up the front torsion bars. I have carried 1.4 ton on the back and my 2 ton boat on behind ,travelling at 100/110 averaging 16lt/100k.
    The new triton with smaller motor takes more revs off the line. I have a mate who works for a ford dealer and he said he would not buy a ranger because of all the problems, he would not tell me what the problems were. Empty I get 9/10 lt/100k. Max

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    yeah seen that, my Brother was looking at it the other day.

The issue isn't just a triton one, there have been several incidences across all makes and models of the 'light' dual cab utes with this happening, but so far has only been affecting the tub body utes. Something to do with the towbar being so far back from the rear axle is putting too much stress on the chassis when offroad and towing.

That particular car in the link was NOT overloaded as some people may think, tow weight was under capacity as was load in the car so GCM was well under the ratings. Just a matter of having the towball too far back and i think hammering along too hard. Problem is being sorted via insurance. But once again, not isolated to mitsubishi, I have seen all the different makes in this class vehicle with the same problem and everytime it has been when towing loads over 1.5ton off road. Solution: don't tow off road

And that's another reason why I prefer the ranger, the towball sits about a foot closer to the rear axle than the triton and you still get the same space in the tray.

Scott, I have a triton 08 model, with tray back, and yes the towball is way under the tray. I think I need to somehow:

a] extend the tounge further (already have the longest one I can find)..but I worry it will put too much pressure on the welds etc where the tounge joins the towbar.

B] somehow (if its possible) to get 2 x extensions from the chassis to bring the entire towbar further back....then the above problem you described comes into play with towbar getting too far from the axle.

I will take a pic tommorrow and show you, its defintatley something to consider. I cant even take my little tinny as it cant turn without hitting the tray, and my camper trailer is similar...I had to take the stone guard off to improve turning issues.

Any advise on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Other than that, I love the triton. Has plenty of power, and room inside. ticks enough boxes for me.

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Towbar under the tray issue in my Colorado.

Got the extended towbar tongue from a local shop at Slacks Creek and had Ontrack 4 x 4 weld in the gusset. This was done, due to me going to Fraser towing a 2 ton boat and requiring " snatching through soft sand". The ball sticks out past the tray ....now...

LP