139. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Mitsubishi Triton 2.5L Turbo Diesel

69 49.64%
  • New Ford Ranger 3.0L Turbo Diesel

70 50.36%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Ford Ranger vs New Triton

New Ford Ranger vs New Triton

Well, I've started to look more seriously at getting myself into a 4WD, mainly for towing, but a bit of offroad shenannigans as well.

After looking at all the options, I've narrowed it down to these 2, the Ranger and Triton, reasons being, Hilux - doesn't meet towing requirements, navara - to exxy, Colorado - I've had bad experiences with the local dealership so I didn't even consider them.

Any way, the ranger has a towing capacity of 3000kg when fitted with optional HD tow package and load levelling kit, the Triton, 2700kg which will be ample.

The things that are of most concern to me is the size of the engine, the Triton's 2.5 TD pushes out both more power (131kw @4000) and torque (400nm @ 2000rpm) than the 3.0L TD ranger (115kw @3200rpm, and 380nm @ 1800rpm) engine, but I am concerned that the turbo will be working overtime to produce the figures from the smaller engine. Another thing that concerns me is the transmission ratios which go something like the below:

Triton:
    1st 4.313
    2nd 2.330
    3rd 1.436
    4th 1.000
    5th 0.788
    Reverse 4.220
    Transfer Ratio:
    High 1.000
    Low 1.900

Final Ratio:

Ranger:
    1st 4.294
    2nd 2.413
    3rd 1.491
    4th 1.000
    5th 0.800
    Reverse 3.391
    Transfer Ratio:
    High 1.000
    Low 2.020

Final Ratio:

In terms of ground clearance, there's not much in it between the 2, however, the Triton has slightly wider stance front and rear, and depending on what version, arrival and departure angles are also pretty close as well. Tray size is also negligable.

I am looking at the twin cab models fitted with a 5sp manual for both brands, the 'style side' tray will be fitted.

Besides those, the things most important to me are as follows (in order of preference):

1. Reliability (though hard to determine with 2 new vehicles)
    2. Driver comfort
    3. Towing capability (not just GCM, but also how the vehicle behaves)
    4. Off road ability
    5. The best deal I can do
    6. Dealer service (customer service, before and AFTER sale, this one I will have to do some research locally)
    7. Passenger comfort (rear)
    8. Warranty (Mitsubishi's 5/10 year warranty, certainly is a big carrot)

So if anyone can offer any comments (I'm especially interested in what you have to say about the gear ratios and how they will affect towing/offroad ability in either vehicle), on any of the above and which of the 2 you would choose (and why would be good) would be most appreciated.

TIA

Re: New Ford Ranger vs New Triton

Do both run the same diameter rim and profile tyres as standard?

And what is the claimed economy of each? also which one has the longest and widest wheelbase?

cheers fnq

wheel base length is the same, width, the triton has about 30-40mm over the ford.

Fuel economy is claimed at 9.5L/100 for the ford, Triton Claims 8.3L/100km. Not really concerned too much with fuel economy, both of these figures are better than my current car, I'm more concerned with reliablity, towing, and off road ability than fuel economy at this stage.

The Ranger runs 245/70R16's, but I can't find what the triton uses, will have to look that up. The Ranger has (depending on what model) upto 10mm more clearance then the Triton, not really worried about it, more than likely will be getting the vehicle lifted later on anyway.

hmmm, I can't believe it doesn't say anything (well at least I couldn't find it) on the Mits website about wheel/tyre size for the triton. Best i could do was from Bridgestone's website, it recomends 235/70R16, so same size in diameter over all, but the ford has fatter wheels.

At this stage, I am leaning towards the triton, just from the warranty perspective, as well as the face value of the above figures, I am yet to test drive either of these yet, but i also think the Triton is way sexy.

Hi Scotty,

Jimmy here down on the Goldy. So you are sfter a new truck, well I just bought the new Ranger, and although I have only done 3000 ks I am very happy with the result. ........I bought the 4x4 auto cab chassis turbo deisel, and alloy tray which can only tow 2500 kg.which is more than the weight of my boat absolutley maxed out. It goes like the clappers, good on fuel about 9 lit per 100 ks
    Don,t get the Ford towing set up , they are having troubles with them , suggest the 3000 kg Hayman Reece ..........not Ford fitted . .........Ironman steel B/B ...........Lightforce D/ lights........etc etc ........The ford has a unique turbo .........better than the BT50

Best idea is drive em both.......PS I am a Ford man

cheers JIMMY

Genericly speaking the wider for length the vehicle is the better it will tow, I was interested in the rolling diameter because that IS the final ratio irrespective of what the ratio specs say.

Does one or the other have a variable vane turbo? is either water to air inter cooled, where is the intercooler...just plonked on top or thoughtfully fitted elsewhere? What boost are each running? There is no free lunch with boost pressures. Is one or the other manufacturers easier going when it comes to aftermarket exhaust or chipping or any other fair dinkum mod like suspension even?....the warranty period can seem a long time on new cars.

I dunno if I am being a help or not but thought I would throw these few other things in and seriously I wouldn't know a Trition from a Ranger at one meter if there was no badge fitted.

Also sometimes I think it's worthwhile chasing up the engine and gearbox lineage for past reliability issues and modded boost levels achieved with reliability. At around the 250k km traveled is where diesel engine claims start to become a reality.

I am leaning toward the Triton on paper from what you have told me so far but any 1 piece of new information could change my mind. I too have reservations over the smaller engine.

cheers fnq

Hi FNQ, read some of the forums out there to gather information on reliability. The FORD Forum in the USA is an excellent place to start. There are 4X4 forum in Australia and the USA as well. I have a Ford Explorer, just as a tow vehcile, and they have had a lot of issues with the auto transmission in them. (I just below mine up also). The issues surface very quickly and are posted on the forums in the same time. It is also helpful as you can see the manufacturers responses to these issues. I would also check the fine print wrt warranties and specifically on towing. Some companies will walk away from transmission issues caused by towing. I have no idea on what Ford or Mitsubishi say in respect of their warranties.

The way i worked it out (providing they have the same dia tyres) Thedifference in 1st gear ratioc/diffs is negligible 15.923596 rpm to 1 rear wheel rotartion in one the itchymickey 16.003738 for the other.Therefore they should both pull away up a ramp equally.As rhe itchymickey has more torque and kws it should be the better theorettically..the ford has a higher diff ratio which could help a little.
    I have the prev model bravo and it finds pulling up a ramp a problem till you get the revs up but it has the 2,5 TD and only 87kw
    just my ideas
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by capt View Post
    Hi Scotty,

Jimmy here down on the Goldy. So you are sfter a new truck, well I just bought the new Ranger, and although I have only done 3000 ks I am very happy with the result. ........I bought the 4x4 auto cab chassis turbo deisel, and alloy tray which can only tow 2500 kg.which is more than the weight of my boat absolutley maxed out. It goes like the clappers, good on fuel about 9 lit per 100 ks
    Don,t get the Ford towing set up , they are having troubles with them , suggest the 3000 kg Hayman Reece ..........not Ford fitted . .........Ironman steel B/B ...........Lightforce D/ lights........etc etc ........The ford has a unique turbo .........better than the BT50

Best idea is drive em both.......PS I am a Ford man

cheers JIMMY
    I'm a ford man too, in fact I currently have an 06 falcon ute, and service (both mechanical and after sales) has been nothing short of great. If it really came down to the crunch, the Dealer service would be the clincher for me, I've never dealt with the Mits dealer up here, and don't really know anyone who has, so I'll be going in blind in that regard.

The local ford dealership does not get the ford factory towing fitted, instead they send it to another local company who uses the Hayman reece tow equipment.

And yes, whilst the warranty for the triton looks good, I'll definately be reading up on both before making a final decision.

I've read every review I can get my hands on, thing is though, every one says that both are great, with only very minor things that let the cars down and eg would be, the the ford has the old style 't-bar' pull out hand brake, and the door trims of the triton look 'cheap', thats about as serious as it gets.

My largest concern about the triton is the smaller engine, there seems to be an awful lot of boost used to gain those powere figures and they are quite late in the rev range compared to other vehicles in the same class, which only points to the that issue, which brings about concerns of turbo lag down low, where you need it (the power) for towing and off road, plus the longevity of the turbo from operating at higher pressures. I have no idea what each one runs in terms of boost (psi), but I would prefer lower psi due to the higher compression brought about by the common rail, direct injection setup they use nowadays.

I am fairly machenical minded, but moreso under the hood rather than looking at a data sheet.

Hi mate,

My neighbour has the Triton and is not over the moon with it. He has around 17K kms and has already had brake dramas. The fuel consumption on his is approx 3 liters over what Mitsi stated.

I too am in the same wagon. I am about to sell my 100 series L'Cruiser wagon and by a ute. Problem being is that all of the 4 cylinder utes, Hilux, Triton, Navaras, BT50's and Colorado's feel like little toy cars. The Colorardo's and the Navara's felt the best to drive for me

I am in a catch 22 situation as I want to buy a new car yet do not want to spend the dollars that the current model Cruiser Utes are going for.

I do a fair bit of corragation driving as I am away shooting in Cape York more weekends then not. I have seriously wondered how these ' Modern' plastic utes would handle 2 years of the Capes roads??

Has anyone done regular corrigation / four wheel driving with these utes?

Nick

Look mate,i aint saying either car is bad as i have never owned one, but if your looking at towing up around the 3 tonne mark i would be seriously looking at a patrol or a cruiser. i know that these new 4 cylinder diesels can tow that much but have gotta keep the revs right up or else they got no balls.

I own a 4.2 litre turbo diesel patrol and ive towed a 5 tonne load piece of piss, not saying patrol are the best, just a recommendation.

Oh and the ranger, which is a bt-50. i know 2 fellas who own one each and both have had to replace the clutch to a hd clutch for towing their boats which arent any bigger than 4.3 meter quinny/bluefins.

just my 2 cents

regards,
    Chris
    Gilli

Most sports require one ball..... Fishing requires two

GO326Q
    4M tinnie with 25hp johnson
    Call ova for a chat if you see me out on the water

In saying that they "had" to replace the clutch, neither had any choice lol, they burnt them out just driving normally. i would be looking at the triton more as it has been out far longer than these new rangers and i suspect that they would have worked out all the little bugs where as rangers are only new on the market and are common to failure as far as i am concerned,
    Gilli

Most sports require one ball..... Fishing requires two

GO326Q
    4M tinnie with 25hp johnson
    Call ova for a chat if you see me out on the water

Gilli, I'm not intending to tow anything near the 3 ton, more around 2-2.5 ton max, just want to make sure that those sort of weights are covered.

As for a clutch, its a fairly simple job to do yourself providing you have enough jacks on hand. i've done my share of clutches (as in replaced, or helped replace) in everything from cruisers to navaras, to commodores, skylines, even did my WRX when I had it and it was by far the most difficult. Coincidentally, it always seemed to happen whilst church (Bathurst) was on, with a couple of mates and a few beers with the telly running in the shed.

Nick, it definately won't be some hardcore off roader, but more of an occasional (very occasional) trip north to the likes of Karumba and Weipa, plus maybe a bit of scrub bashing around Townsville....all in the name of fishing of course

All this is in prep for the big boat which will be on the cards shortly, haven't decided what yet, but it will be around 6m (hopefully on the larger side of 6m), leaning towards glass at this stage

I towed my boat (3 tonne) to 1770 last week with my old mans mates Ford Ranger and to be honest it towed it very well... Apart from the rough ride from being leaf spring it towed the boat very well and had enough power to do so comfortably. It averaged 300km out of a tank towing the boat at 100-110 kmph most of the way. Still give me my cruiser to tow with any day but hey the Ranger was a work car so fuel was free lol.

Cheers Greg

Hi Scott

You say driver comfort is of great importance to you, i had a current shape Triton twin cab for a rep mobile for a while and when i picked the thing up from the dealer to my horror the drivers seat had no height adjustment in it which is a pretty pee poor effort. I would suggest as long a test drive as you can to ensure you are able to get comfy not just a 5 min run around the block but a decent drive.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Steve

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent