Thread: Need help

Need help

I have 3 dams stocked with Perch, bass and Yellas , i can get the yellas real easy but the bass and perch seem to be more elusive. Im new to fresh water fishing and was given a spinner bait to target yellas that's working a treat.My question is is there any all round lure you guys use that might catch the others as well?

The yellas in the dam are not a great fight and i would prefer to hook up to a bass as they seem to go harder from previous experiences in the Hinze dam. I have caught the others using live Blue claw but dont want to go this way as 99% of the fish i release and always end up with a gut hooked fish using Blue claw.

Re: Need help

Hey Darryl. How old are the fish??
    How big are the dams??
    That isn't needed to catch them but I'm curious as our dam is getting dug sometime fairly soon.....I hope.

Cheers Bert
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Scotty, fish are a year old and about 20 to 30 cm long.The fella at Murgon that i got the fingerlings off said they would take 18 months to mature.Dont know how to explain the sizes other than ones about half a tennis court round that has been established for a lot of years. Never fishes well.Bout 8 foot deep
    Dam 2 is about a tennis court and a half and it fishes ok and has been established for years and about 8 foot deep.

Dam 3 was dug 3 months before we put the fingerlings in, it fishes unbelieveably well for yealls and is about 15 ft deep.It would be 2 tennis courts round mate?
    The other healthier looking dams have the reeds,yabbies, turtles etc with plenty of bony bream and guppies as well for food.

I dont understand why but the new dam fishes the best and maybe some freshwater anglers could shed some light for me.

Pm me your mobile number matey and i will send you some pictures to your phone.Or if you cant work out mms'ing i will email them to you mate.

Darryl,
    I am no expert but I am guessing that the two established dams might be a bit shallow for bass through the hotter months unless you have established weed and lilly pad areas for them.
    The newer dam being deeper would be cooler as you get deeper and might be the reason they have flourished there.
    On the fishing front it would be worth trying lipless crankbaits and shallow running hard bodied lures. Plastics on 1/8 oz and 1/4 oz jigheads would be a cheap alternative. There are plenty of quality plastics out there that would do the job.
    Hope this might help.

Bad_Bazza

Yeah does help Bazza as i thought the heat might have been the issue with the shallower dam during summer, but wasnt sure. Thanks for the info on lures and plastics. Appreciate it. And there is no lillies in any of the dams,just the normal dagwood dog looking reeds.

Darryl.

The following errors occurred with your submission

• finga has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Sent those emails Scott .Been trying to send you a pm to let ya know.

Darryl

Couple of thoughts on the dams beside the depth. The two healthier dams could also have a better food supply so the fish aren't as hungry as they are in newer dam. Also there may be pre existing preditors in the older dams (eels, etc) that may have knocked yur fingerlings around somewhat.

On the lure, grab a small dark popper and flick it around with small pops on dawn and dusk as bass will readily hit surface offerings.

Steve

Thanks Steve never even thought of existing dams having a good supply of offerings for them and them not being as hungry.Im going to run a bait net through the 2 smaller dams on the weekend to see what is actually in there.Hopefully not eels lol. Can they get in dams that can have no possibility of flood or run off from existing properties?

Quote Originally Posted by Crestcutter View Post
    THopefully not eels lol. Can they get in dams that can have no possibility of flood or run off from existing properties?
    Maaaate. When I worked at Nymboida Power Station out of Grafton we used to have a pipe burst occasionally.
    By the time it was found and we got organised and there it may have been 3-4 days since blowing a hole.
    In that 3-4 up to 7 day window the number of shrimps and baby eels that used to follow the water upstream was incredible. Sometimes the stream to where the runoff went too was a hell of a long way away ie 4-600m
    We had to turn that pipe off, wait about a day for the water to stop running out and then into it before the stink happened. Eels were up to about 50mm long
    Summer was way worse.
    So if there is a stream of water running out of your dam (ie overflow) to where there are eels then there may well be eels in your dam.
    Try a bit of steak on a handline and see if you can get one.
    My old leading hand in Lismore went into live export of eels. He couldn't get rid of them out of his creek so he thought he might as well sell the buggers.
    I don't mind a feed of eel.

Turtles will give your dam a pizzling as well.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Yeah might try that Scotty, the blocks we are on are on a hill though and where the property ends at the bottom is a road before it goes down to a gully.But hey after reading what you experienced i might throw a bit of meat on a hook and make sure before i put my toes in lol.Ive got turtles in one of them that i dont want to kill so mightent be a good idea in that one.

Hey sing out if ya need me for a cpl a days.Would love to come to ya dairy farm and do some work before i go to Gladstone. Love working cattle and have always been interested in dairy farms.

Being small dams the bass may rely a fair bit on flying insects falling into them, a small black popper as apollo said or cicada imitation tweaked across the top on a dark night will soon find the bass if they are there i reckon. Ben

Thanks Ben , appreciate the info

hey Crestcutter, If you put the bass Fingerlings in only 12months ago,could it be the bass might still be to small for the size lure your using?
    depending on how big the fingerlings were when you put them in. I thought it took around 5 years for bass to get up around the 25-30cm mark,in a land locked situation?
    just a thought!!
    Jason
    No love its not new...i've had that reel for ages

Hey Jason your probably dead right.I ran a bait net through the shallow dam yesterday and caught a heap of bass around the 15 to 20 cm range.They have grown from inch long fingerlins to round 20cm in 2 years.Ididn't think there would be any in there but we caught 15 in 2 runs with the net.We then sent them up to the top dam which is bigger all round.

Darryl