Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What does reel size mean?

What does reel size mean?

Folks, dumb question I've been burning to ask. If you want to call me stupid, join the queue!

I have a couple of Baitrunner 6500's. What does the 6500 mean? And so on for the others - a Stella 20000? A Stradic 1000? And so on...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Re: What does reel size mean?

PHEW...thanks for asking that question first Timi ...id always thought that it stood for the amount of line in yards you could put on the reel...but if someone REALLY knows...please let us know

Mrs Benno1

I'll just sit here quietly and not say anything for a while too.....

I asked the same question on ausfish a year ago, and nobody could answer it.
    It would seem to be an arbitrary number that theyve just made up in the industry???

Assuming that it came from usa or england, it would be in imperial measurements. So its not yards or weight in ounces. Maybe denure for recommended line size? Maybe thousandths of an inch for cubic inches?

Someone please help us....

It's basically size.

Like a lady, size 6, 8, 10,12
    Different manufactures have difference sizes. So you can't compare shimano to daiwa.

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    It's basically size.

Like a lady, size 6, 8, 10,12
    Different manufactures have difference sizes. So you can't compare shimano to daiwa.
    I think that also, I bought a 6000 Ryobi reel from O/S thinking it would be same size as the Penn badge engineered one would be, the one I received said 6000 but was in the penn 5000 size range.

Dunno what they are actually measuring - possibly the markup???

cheers fnq

Mate dunno the origins of the numbering system...maybe to do with imperial measurements of some nature...

These days its merely a numbering system that allows one to gauge a size order among reels from manufacturers... Each maker has its own sizes even though it uses similar numbering to a competitor...
    For fishing reports, fishing info, new techniques and fishing news read;
    Savvy Fishing Blog

The only reel type that the number has any meaning (to my knowledge) are overhead game reels. take the tiagra range for example the number represents the ideal line class in pounds for sport fishing and then they add a couple of letters on the end to describe the spool shape. Everything else is just random. A size 1 spinning reel sounds far less impressive than a 1000 so i assume its a marketing ploy. This is the reason the the PE rating system. Were you can go and buy a rod, reel and line with the same PE value and they all match up. Alternativley you could just figure it out by reading the line and drag specs on the box.

Yeah it is just the size of reel, ie. the body and spool. That's why you would be able to fit more line on a 6000 reel than say a 2500 sized reel. But as stated previously you can not compare daiwa to a shimano. I know the daiwa 2500 and 4000 sized reels hold more line than a 2500 and 4000 sized shimano

It's the spacing between the gearing cogs on the loovawinder (sp*) and the ratio between that and the cam dis-engager which gives a mathematical number of x to the 4th decimal place.
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Quote Originally Posted by fish-n-dive View Post
    It's the spacing between the gearing cogs on the loovawinder (sp*) and the ratio between that and the cam dis-engager which gives a mathematical number of x to the 4th decimal place.
    So thats what it is. Problem solved all correlations with physical size, line strength and capacity are therefore purely coincidental.

Talking Re: What does reel size mean?

What the... ?????

I think they are trying to standardise the reel sizes so that when you say a 6500 series reel it is roughly the same size, I.e will hold a certain amount of x line.

I think one of the major players is trying to drive this change but a few competitors are trying to upsize, theirs. but roughly the same series reels will hold approximately the same amount of line of the same diameter.

But I can tell you my abu 7000 holds a lot less 50 pound braid than my 6500 shimano, where 300 metres only half filled the spool..

Regards
    HOnda

Shoot me if I am wrong but I believe it is a general size bracket system devised on the bulk of the reel and the weight of the reel more than anything.

You can get say a 2000 size reel of one brand and model and it can have for arguements sake 150m of a line size capacity and another model of the same brand and still be a 2000 size reel that takes 250m. Therefore i think its all to do with creating a balanced reel for useability and giving that a bracket sizing.

Sorta like bra sizing, perfectly sized jublies on a small woman might not be the biggest she can carry but what works best when you play with them. Throw that same set on an Amazon and you might be looking at fried eggs.

Jack.

Well it seems there is a debate happening....
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark