Thread: Boatside Assist..

Question Boatside Assist..

I was looking into some boatside assist.....I spoke to a person at the boat show and she was from 'BoatClub' for $50 you get coverage for any assistance you need.....I asked her how does this differ to being a part of a VMR ($50 as well) for boatside assist and she said that if your a member of boatside assist with one VMR (eg Vicky Point) but are over near Manly - VMR Manly will assist - but because your with VMR Vicky Point it doesn't cover you......can somone please clarify if this is correct or not.....she then when onto say that with the 'Boatclub' if you get stuck the VMR will come and assist, they invoice you and then you forward the invoice to them to get reinbursed - but this can be asistance from any VMR....
    I would prefer to support the VMR but would like assistance anywhere with knowing that I am covered....

Re: Boatside Assist..

We joined VMR Vic Pt earlier this year and that is not what we were told. If you were to need a tow and were within the territory covered of another VMR, say Manly, they simply tow to their outer limits and hand you over to the next VMR and so on. Haven't had to prove this correct [touch wood] however, seems reasonable and believeable enough.
    Go Easy..... L-plate with a bit to learn

L-Plate - with your scenario do you know if I would be charged by VMR Manly for their services even though I am with VMR Vicky Point? Are they seperate entities or united (so to speak)....

In my opinion, I would suggest you join the local VMR or Coast Guard to where you do the majority of your boating, It is the VMR or Coast Guard who will come to assist you not the Boat Club. I think they should stay with the original ideas and direction ie Boating Industry Association.

All the local VMR or Coast Guard need the support from these associate members and they get no benefit from the Boatclub.

Some of the clubs around Moreton Bay offer 2 hours towing anywhere and some offer reciprical rights with other clubs.

I would not support the Boatclub in any way, I just support the local VMR units and allways buy tickets in any raffle or donate at any collections.

In my opinion it would be better to increase our rego fees in QLD by $ 70.00 and then form one club only to cover the whole state, But when I heard this was on the cards, I was told that Qld Transport wanted to swallow all the increase in admin cost's if say the included it with the rego.

My Thoughts anyway

Nelton

Support your local VMR or Coastguard....

I dont think BOAT CLUB will risk their lives and come look for you if your lost at sea.

Aaron

Reddybayfisher,
    What Vicky Pt would do is if we wern't busy we would travell to Manly and pull you back.......if you were a Boaties Assist member of ours it would be free. If we were busy and had to call another rescue unit to tow you back we would ask them to charge Vicky Pt and we would pay their account.
    I do suggest that boaties follow Nelton87's advice and join Boaties Assist with VMR or AVCG as we are the ones that are called upon to do the job anyhow.
    Cheers Moreton