Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 + 4 Fuel conditioner

2 + 4 Fuel conditioner

I was wondering if anybody has used the BRP 2+4 fuel conditioner and whether they thought it had made any difference to the condition of the fuel left in their tanks

Re: 2 + 4 Fuel conditioner

Yeah i have used it... Did a bit a research into it it also.....

It is firstly a fuel stablizer made for americans when they winterize there boats and motors....

Obviously over in the USA and Canada, during winter the lakes are frozen and the air is way to cold to go out on a boat. So they lay up the boat for winter....

What the 2+4 does is stablizes the fuel so it does not go off (Lose it's octane rating) during the winter, which my last up to 5-6 months....

It also acts as an octane booster....

What it wont do is reverse the effects off already old fuel that is stale....

It is good gear, and very cheap....
    Last edited by Jabba_; 05-02-2008 at 06:07 PM.

so instead of throwing fuel out that's a few weeks old
    put some in with your fresh fuel
    end of the stale fuel problem
    cheers brian

Thanks for that information

Hi Taroona,

My experience is similar to Jabba_, I use it regularly, most times when I fill the tank (159 litres) I will add some 2 +4 as per the instructions. I have no proof that it works, but there seems to be a general consensus that it does from all the comments I have been able to find.

I used to also add a cup or so of metho from time to time to help remove any water/condensation that might get in with the fuel (I do have a CAV filter as well). But I came across Fuel Doctor a few years ago. used it in my car for a while, was impressed and now also use it in the boat. It seem to really help and also addresses the water issue as well. Super Cheap Auto stock it.

Here is a link to the Fuel Doctor Website;

http://www.fueldoctors.com.au/

and a very impressive video presentation;

javascript:void(window.open('http://www.fueldoctors.com.au/fdamedia/fda_compare.html','','resizable=no,location=no,men ubar=no,scrollbars=no,status=no,toolbar=no,fullscr een=no,dependent=no,width=360,height=330'))
    Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Taroona View Post
    I was wondering if anybody has used the BRP 2+4 fuel conditioner and whether they thought it had made any difference to the condition of the fuel left in their tanks
    I use the Briggs & Stratton Made fuel conditioner/Stabiliser...It is sold by Stihl outlets...

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Taroona View Post
    hi i have used bitron products for years and i believe they work for me, i found they have a good additive for gear oil that gives yamahas a quiet gear change. thanks jim

Taroona,

what are your reasons for using it???

sure they do some things but do you require it... might as well add snake oil if ya doing it for the wrong reasons.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

The reason I am asking about the conditioner is because when I return I may have a 1/3 of a tank of fuel left. Now depending on time available and conditions it might be several weeks before I take the boat out again.

Having all diesel tarnsport I won't be draining any fuel to run cars. So the fuel will stay in the tank. The under floor tank also has a breather which can't be closed off.

I haven't used any conditioner yet as I am an ex yachtie who sold his boat and bought a power boat and only had diesels on the yachts and I know what additive's to add to diesel to prevent algea and such like.

That's why I am asking the question.

Les

Just one thing, when they layup the US boats it is cold so the fuel does very litle breathing, vapour pressure and temp etc. Also I understand but do not know that when the condioner is added the boat must stay still or the surface layer/barrier on the fuel it creates might get broken, so don't tow it until it is ready to use.

cheers fnq

In the latest issue (51) of Saltwater Fishing resident Boat and Motor tester, Andrew Norton, has commented on the shelf life of Pre-mix and fuels. Here is what he said (insert box page 93);

Using The Right Fuel and Additives in Premix Two-Strokes

Several years ago, research conducted by Stihl found that its chainsaws and brush cutters were seizing when premium unleaded (95 RON) was mixed with lubricating oil. The reason was the aromatic chemical packages used by oil companies to raise the fuel octane from standard 91 RON unleaded was causing the oil to separate from the petrol, resulting in 'dry' bearings and piston rings.

Stihl determined that 91 RON unleaded was the fuel to use in all its two-stroke power equipment, and since then Tohatsu Corporation has reached the same conclusions.

As premix fuel goes 'stale' after about two months of disuse, mixing in an Isopropyl Alcohol additive such as Bombardier 2 + 4 Fuel Conditioner and Stabiliser will keep the fuel fresh for up to a year. Tests I have conducted on batches of premix used a year after mixing confirm this, and over the past 14 years I have used this additive in countless two-stroke outboards with great success.

However, a drawback of using this hydroscopic additive is that it keeps the spark plugs slightly wet due to any water absorbed from the fuel staying in suspension with the premix. For this reason, I don't recommend using it in outboards having spark plug gaps of less than 0.8mm. Examples are the Yahama 2, 4 and 5 which electrode gaps of only 0.55mm.

Bombardier's additive should be used at 500:1 for everyday usage to help reduce combustion chamber carbon deposits, and at 250:1 for storage. a 236ml bottle costs around $13 increasing fuel costs by 10 to 20 cents a litre, but the protection it provides is well worth the extra cost!.

The additive works really well in all Tohatsu two-strokes (the main story is tests of a 5 and 8hp Tohatsu) , but be prepared for slightly higher oil smoke emissions on cold starting.

Cheers

DJ

So in Summary, mnake sure you use the boat at least every month! but tell the missus it has to be used every week
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    So in Summary, mnake sure you use the boat at least every month! but tell the missus it has to be used every week

Yes, sounds like a game plan to me SK.

Just got the latest issue of F & B (#139) and they are working on a major feature on the subject of fuel shelf life. It seems they have had to pull it from this issue because some fuel companies started to get nervous "and threatening". They are trying to find substitute independent experts now to be able to finish it.

Interesting comment in the editorial; "Yes, today's unleaded fuel starts going off in as little as three weeks"

Cheers

DJ

Hi dave,

Here is a reply I got from BRP. But it's interesting that a dealer said to use 95RON and not 90RON so that each time you filled up there would be an increase in octane levels being the difference between the original 95RON going off and the new fuel being added. Seems plausible to me.

G'day Les

2+4 fuel conditioner protects your fuel system and conditions the fuel.

It is encouraged to use the product particularly during periods when the engine is not in use.

The reason for this is that the shelf life of most pump fuel has been guaranteed for around 3 months.

2+4 fuel conditioner extends the life of the fuel.

So if you choose to, when you think you won't be using your engine for a while and you have a under floor fuel tank or a few portable tanks which are full, you could add it in to make sure that your fuel does

not go off.

Hopefully this answers your question

Thanks Les,

I think Norton's comments about the downside of Premium fuel are really only relevant to premix. With oil injection, there is no opportunity for the oil/fuel to separate as they are not mixed until the last second.

I also agree with the thinking that adding some premium should help to keep the octane levels up. Adding Octane booster is probably another option. But for any significant period I think the 2 + 4 conditioner is probably the best main option. A top up with premium into a part tank of older fuel just before the next trip is probably the go.

Premium fuel would have historically been wasted on carby equipped motors, but with fuel injection and the powerful ECUs (EMMs) on today's outboards fuel variability should be better handled by the motors you would think. It is certainly the case with car motors these days.

Cheers

Dave