Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailor/Trevally Rock spinning combo?

Tailor/Trevally Rock spinning combo?

Hey guys

I want to get into spinning some lures off of rock walls (most likely at the seaway) and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a rod/reel setup for me. Currently I have a 13 foot 6 snyder glas rod and a 6 1/2 inch alvey but i dont think that will be much good for spinning lures lol.

Also any info on what lures are most productive. I have a few lures already which a guy said worked very well (not sure of name, but they are like a shiny jigging spoon with assorted colours)

Sorry to ask such a nooby question but i'm really not sure lol

Cheers

Paul

Re: Tailor/Trevally Rock spinning combo?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Hey guys

I want to get into spinning some lures off of rock walls (most likely at the seaway) and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a rod/reel setup for me. Currently I have a 13 foot 6 snyder glas rod and a 6 1/2 inch alvey but i dont think that will be much good for spinning lures lol.

Also any info on what lures are most productive. I have a few lures already which a guy said worked very well (not sure of name, but they are like a shiny jigging spoon with assorted colours)

Sorry to ask such a nooby question but i'm really not sure lol

Cheers

Paul
    Paul,
    Try not to forget the gals,

I'd try and match your rod to a spinning reel with a 5:1 ratio or better. If you notice any surface action, a rooster popper would be a good option for trevally. Any chrome lure, spaniard maniacs, raider, halco slices - for macs, tailor.

As far as a nooby question - I think everyone was in your position once...

Cheers,

Wags

Cheers Wags!
    Hehe oh yeah, didn't realise it sounded like that lol, but i just meant everyone as a whole.

Ok so my 13 foot 6 rod will be ok for that type of fishing? Might end up cheaper than i thought
    Any suggestions on a make/model of reel?

Cheers

Paul

There is a variety of spinning reels on the market. You'll just have to find one to suit the style of fishing and your budget. I've just picked up a Pflueger (5.3:1) for jigging for kingies. This reel in the sub$200 range.
    If you are anywhere near Charltons B&T, call in and tell them what rod you have, what style of fishing you'd be doing, and they'd give you more of an idea than the local bcf. THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY ON BCF staff.

Best of luck with your search.

Cheers,

Wags

Ok thanks mate.
    I agree with you on the BCF staff thing. Soo many 16 year olds working there, hard to get good help. I do live near Charlton's so ill go down there and ask them, although i probably wont buy from there, always too expensive.

Thanks for your help mate

Cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    There is a variety of spinning reels on the market. You'll just have to find one to suit the style of fishing and your budget. I've just picked up a Pflueger (5.3:1) for jigging for kingies. This reel in the sub$200 range.
    If you are anywhere near Charltons B&T, call in and tell them what rod you have, what style of fishing you'd be doing, and they'd give you more of an idea than the local bcf. THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY ON BCF staff.

Best of luck with your search.

Cheers,

Wags
    Hey Wags,

Mate I reckon you should have gone better quality than a Pflueger if you want Jig Kings.

Just my opinion.

Pete

I know my live fibre rod works good for jigging kingies of the reefs using lumo green.

I like to have a go at spinning for tailor and trevally (if any around), I've tried the sand pumping jetty on many occassions without success, maybe its the location or there was no fish period at the time.

My beach rod is about 13ft, with eggbeater reel, I cant use the alvey reels. Can anyone suggest what would be a good lure to use, I have metal slugs but then the bait shop is in the business of selling their goods. I like to get my info from the tried, tested and proven direct from the guys and girls who've used them and successful.

I also tend going down the spit (Gold Coast). Is there any other land based locations that are good? Thanks , Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_P View Post
    Hey Wags,

Mate I reckon you should have gone better quality than a Pflueger if you want Jig Kings.

Just my opinion.

Pete

Pete,

The pflueger is a back-up reel. The main reel is a Diawa Saltist 50 - 6.4:1 ratio. Unless I grow more arms I can only use 1 rod at a time

Wags

Peter, the spaniard maniacs (in blue, green, pink) work on macs in the bay for us.

I use a FSU 4120g. Its a lightweight tough 10' rod that throws a 65gm Raider a fair way
    Match with a reel such as a Penn 8500ss or larger high speed Okuma and you will be OK. There are plenty of good reels in the more expensive brackets but these oneswould get you going
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

If you're only chasing tailor and school macs and trevs than 6-10kg mono would be your best bet to assist both in reducing rub offs in the rocks and hoisting fish up! Remember to use a heavier shock leader for when the fish are in close!
    As far as reels go, i would be asking about a 5000 sized spin reel which you could pick up for about $100-150 or thereabouts. Then match it to a 4120 spin stick and you're in business!
    Throw a few halco twistys, 45g raiders, 60g snipers, flasha's, bumper bars, gillys pilchards, they've all accounted for good fish! I find for tailor, any lure that is about the length of your middle finger is a good starting point. The shinier the better!
    If the fish are hitting but not hooking up try spicing up your retrieve with a dead stop every now and then. Let the lure sink for 5-10 secs then crank again! this really stirs the trevs up and will quite often turn a follow into a strike!
    Poppers will work best with a consistant wind, bloop, short pause, wind, bloop etc. or straight retrieve!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Ok thanks mate.
    I agree with you on the BCF staff thing. Soo many 16 year olds working there, hard to get good help.
    Mate i wouldnt be writing off 16 year olds for advice! There are quite a few avid fisher's who are members of this site that work in various tackle stores and BCF stores throughout the goldcoast and brisbane and with their catch rate, would put you, me, and most fishers to shame! We read just as many fishing magazines, articles, dvd's as any older fisherman/women does and quite often have the free time to be on the water just as regularly. We might not have the experience that alot of older blokes have but we are quick to embrace new techniques and styles!
    Sorry if this sounded a bit full on but take the advice that they offer. You never know, it just might be something that they stumbled upon that you havent yet.

I'm not doubting those that know about fishing, just those that have no idea about fishing and say they're only there for the money.

Wags

mate i done heaps of spinning of rocks ,went through outfit after outfit ,i think 13,6 with alvey too long awkward ,i settled for wilson live fibre 10,6 - 6 kg light as a feather ,casts long way been great $145 ,its a pleasure to use ,worth a look

Quote Originally Posted by childers View Post
    mate i done heaps of spinning of rocks ,went through outfit after outfit ,i think 13,6 with alvey too long awkward ,i settled for wilson live fibre 10,6 - 6 kg light as a feather ,casts long way been great $145 ,its a pleasure to use ,worth a look

Thanks Childers,
    Off the rocks is one thing, but would this be ok for beach work as one needs to get past the breakers?

Also what type of reel are you using? Peter

The Penn 850 ss is a good reel, in my opinion, for spinning up those fish. It has pretty tough gearing aswell, and wont cost you an arm and a leg.

rockfisho