Thread: fishing and camping nsw coast

Question fishing and camping nsw coast

Hi all, this is my first post as a new member, just joined.
    I am going on a 10 week fishing and camping holiday starting at christmas, traveling all the way from mackay in north qld to tasmania.
    have been over qld a fair bit and will be looking at new places to go to in nsw and tassy. I have a troopy and enclosed trailer full of gear that i have been setting up for 6 months getting ready so i can pretty much go anywhere.
    So fellow fishers any suggestions would be most helpful. Just me and the missus and the esky . also, is there any restictions on things like cast nets interstate. thanks in advance mark

Re: fishing and camping nsw coast

Quote Originally Posted by mark clark View Post
    Hi all, this is my first post as a new member, just joined.
    I am going on a 10 week fishing and camping holiday starting at christmas, traveling all the way from mackay in north qld to tasmania.
    have been over qld a fair bit and will be looking at new places to go to in nsw and tassy. I have a troopy and enclosed trailer full of gear that i have been setting up for 6 months getting ready so i can pretty much go anywhere.
    So fellow fishers any suggestions would be most helpful. Just me and the missus and the esky . also, is there any restictions on things like cast nets interstate. thanks in advance mark
    Mark,

Welcome to Ausfish, sounds like you have a great trip planned over a few months.
    We did four months from Coffs Harbour to Melbourne, then thru to Cooktown and back home to Mylestom just south of Coffs Harbour.

Cast net are illegal in NSW, People have been booked for being in possession of one near a waterway. Make sure it is well packed and dry when in NSW.

Lots of great places on the way and the Coffs Harbour region, is pretty good for sightseeing and a bit of fishing.

Depends on what type of fishing you will be doing. Do you have a boat, prefer, Fresh, Estuary or Salt.

If you put as much info as possible the fellow Ausfishers will come up with heaps of ideas for you.

Enjoy

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

hi there trev, thanks for the info on the castnets i had a feeling someone said they were outlawed in nsw. any reason why? up here they are the main way to get live bait for barra and jack etc. heaps of hearing mullet prawns gar etc. also as you stated i didn't mention a boat. I have decided to leave my tinny at home mainly to save on the amount of work involved. being my first major trip i am trying to keep equipment carried to a minimum (sort of) and being just me and the missus who is built like a twig, I am trying to keep MY workload down .
    Looking at beach and land based stuff to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by mark clark View Post
    hi there trev, thanks for the info on the castnets i had a feeling someone said they were outlawed in nsw. any reason why? up here they are the main way to get live bait for barra and jack etc. heaps of hearing mullet prawns gar etc. also as you stated i didn't mention a boat. I have decided to leave my tinny at home mainly to save on the amount of work involved. being my first major trip i am trying to keep equipment carried to a minimum (sort of) and being just me and the missus who is built like a twig, I am trying to keep MY workload down .
    Looking at beach and land based stuff to start with.
    Blanket ban all NSW, has been for years. Come from Qld and NT myself so have used them a little myself.

If chasing bait the best bet is Jig set hooks around the top of tides in the Estuary/jetty/pool/features. If you can catch beach worms lot around on this beach here and some good Jew fishing at the right stage of the moon.
    You will probably be better off stopping at places with both beaches and estuaries handy.
    Places like Iluka/Yamba, Mylestom (Bellinger/Kalang Rivers North Beach), South West Rocks etc to name a few that might suit after a bit of research.

Good luck with your trip, half the adventure is in the planning.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Mark check out what licenses you need in the southern states as I think they have to have a fishing license
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

thanks for the tips guys. I will spend a bit of time reading through the dept of fisheries for each state, checking regs and bag limits and stuff.
    My worst day fishing is still better than my best day working

Mark you will need a license. I just ordered one myself over the net. search NSW fishing license, the Govt have a web sight. I got the annual about $70 I think not sure. Still waiting for it to arrive, it is a different game down there mate.

Sounds like a great trip. Think about an inflatable or a canoe?

Mylestom, your place looks nice.

Welcome,
    With the licences make sure its is open to all waters as some licences only cover certain areas such as the tweed only .
    Hand spears are also band in certain areas such as brunswick heads.
    l now this for a fact as l was good given a warrning some years back .
    Tulabudgera and Tweed Heads on the gold coast
    As for plases to go Brunswick heads 30 min from QLD
    South ballina caravan park 60 min from QLD beach and rock fishing 4x4 beach driveing [thats were i get my lisence from]
    Southwest Rocks Kempsey [bookings a must]
    NSW has way to many for to list.

Found this on the web good info cheers

LIFE’S A BEACH …

WHATEVER happened to the good old days when you could unroll your swag on a deserted beach and lie in your tent listening to the gentle rhythm of the surf?

While civilisation and commercial development have claimed most of the traditional beach camping spots close to our cities, paradise is still out there waiting to be found … if you’re prepared to go the distance.

Stretching between the bright lights of Coffs Harbour and the Gold Coast, the northern NSW coastline remains surprisingly unspoilt. Protected by National Parks and interspersed with quiet fishing villages, these beaches, river estuaries and headlands offer the isolation and tranquillity we all look for – but rarely find – when we head for the great outdoors.

Yuraygir National Park

Yuraygir National Park encompasses 60kms of spectacular coastline between the Corindi River and Yamba, with access via Pacific Highway turn-offs near Red Rock, Grafton, Ulmarra and Maclean.

The Wooli and Sandon Rivers divide the park into three separate sections and create a waterway wonderland of isolated beaches, tidal lakes and river networks.

With its world-class point breaks and wild rollers, the surfing contingent have been keen to keep the area under wraps, but there are plenty of safe, shallow swimming spots for children and beach fishermen will think they’ve died and gone to heaven as they haul in catches of whiting, bream, flathead and tailor.

Bushwalking is another favourite pastime, particularly in the northern section of the park where the 10km Angourie Walking Track links the Mara Creek Picnic Area with Lake Aragon. This is regarded as one of the most magnificent coastal walks in Australia and incorporates a series of specially constructed boardwalks to protect the fragile dune systems. Marked walking trails have also been established at Wilsons Headland in central Yuraygir and at Station Creek in the southern section of the park.

The river systems are equally worthy of exploration. At Wooli, you can hire canoes or dinghies and travel up the Wooli River for at least 20kms. The emus, jabirus and brolgas found deep in the wetlands make this area a birdwatcher’s paradise.

Caravanners will find all of life’s little necessities at Wooli, Minnie Water and Brooms Head where fully-equipped parks have claimed dress-circle positions on the oceanfront. (The locals rave especially loudly about Brooms Head Caravan Park where you can literally pitch your tent right on the beach.) The holiday parks also offer cabins and on-site vans if you don’t want to BYO.

For those who take ‘roughing it’ a little more seriously, basic camping facilities are provided at Station Creek, Boorkoom, Diggers Camp, Illaroo, Sandon, Red Cliff and Lake Aragon. Facilities at these rest areas include toilets, showers, barbeques and picnic tables but you may have to bring your own water.

The best-kept secrets of Yuraygir, however, are the walk-in campsites at places like Pebbly Beach, Freshwater Beach, Rocky Point, Shelley Head and Plumbago Head. Of course, these idyllic retreats come at a price – namely, the strain of carrying all your goods and chattels on your back for several kilometres. There are no facilities, no fresh water supplies and no snack shops within coo-ee of these sites, so make sure you stock up before you set out.

Entrance and camping fees apply throughout Yuraygir National Park and there are no bookings – it’s first in gets the best site. For further information, contact the National Parks and Wildlife Service on 02-66403910 or the Clarence River Tourist Association on 02-6642 4677.

Bundjalung National Park

Bundjalung National Park stretches from Iluka to Evans Head along 38kms of Pacific Ocean frontage. In addition to the open beaches and protected bays, the park encompasses the World Heritage-listed coastal rainforest of the Iluka Nature Reserve, as well as a series of lagoons and wetlands.

Sheltered inland waterways formed by the Esk River provide perfect canoeing conditions, while the ocean beaches are ideal for fishing, surfing and swimming.

The area around Evans Head is the birthplace of the three main Aboriginal tribes found in northern NSW and, as such, there are several middens and ancient campsites within the park boundaries.

The birdlife is extensive and it’s not unusual for campers to meet wallabies, possums and bandicoots on an early morning bushwalk.

Numerous picnic spots with barbeques, tables, pit toilets and walking tracks are scattered throughout the park but overnight camping is restricted to Woody Head Camping Area in the south and Black Rocks Camping Area in the north.

Woody Head is far more sophisticated than your average National Park camping ground, coming fully equipped with solar hot water, conventional amenities, cabins and a kiosk. About the only thing missing is electricity! At Black Rocks gas barbeques are provided, as are enviro toilets. These facilities are limited, however, and the park rangers recommend campers bring their own fuel stoves. You’ll also need to carry in your own fresh water.

Caravan parks, holiday cottages, motels, hotels and all other mod cons can be found in Iluka and Evans Head. For further information, contact the National Parks office at Alstonville on 02-6627 0100 or Grafton on 02-6640 3910.

Riverside Reserve, Evans Head

Beach and riverfront camping doesn’t get much better than the Riverside Reserve at Evans Head. Adjacent to the Silver Sands Caravan Park, this picturesque spot is only open during the school holidays so it definitely pays to turn up early!

For further information on this little gem, contact the Park managers, Jeff and Wanda at Silver Sand on 02-66824212.

Flat Rock Beach

If you don’t want to roam too far from the madding crowd, Flat Rock Beach offers the best of both worlds – tented camping right on the oceanfront, only a 4km drive in either direction to civilisation.

Set on a wide sweep of ocean beach midway between Ballina and Lennox Head, the Council-run camping ground is well-equipped with lighting, solar heating, toilets, showers and barbeques.

The surfing here is just spectacular and you’d have to be a poor excuse for a fisherman if you couldn’t catch your own dinner off the beach. From May to November, whale sightings are common, so try not to cast that line too far out. Keep an eye out also for the Ballina dolphins that like to frolic in this area.

When you’re packing up the 4WD, make sure you bring the bikes along because Flat Rock is right in the middle of the Ballina/Lennox Head Cycleway. The whole family will enjoy tootling along past Angels Beach, Shelly Beach and Lighthouse Beach towards Ballina or up to Lennox Head’s famous Seven Mile Beach … not to mention all those obligatory coffee shop stops along the way. (Hire bikes are available in Lennox and Ballina if you don’t have your own wheels.)

As you can imagine, Flat Rock is a popular spot so it may be wise to book ahead. Phone the Ballina Visitor Information Centre on 02-6686 3484 for more information.

Tweed Coast

Stretching from Pottsville in the south up to Kingscliff, the Tweed Coast comprises a string of quiet villages set against a backdrop of ocean beaches where you can walk for miles without seeing another soul.

Several Nature Reserves have been designated along the beachfront but unfortunately overnight camping is not permitted. The good news is that some of the local caravan parks offer semi-isolated tent sites in idyllic surrounds.

A favourite is the headland campsite operated by the Hastings Point Holiday Park. The site stretches over a grassy hillside looking straight up the beach. The facilities here are minimal but the view more than makes up for it. This particular section is only available during NSW school holidays and long weekends so you will need to get in early if you want the pick of the spots.

Fingal Head Holiday Park is also right on the beach while the Pottsville Beach Holiday Park South has tent sites spread out along the banks of Mooball Creek. The kids can either play safely in the shallows or you can walk through the parklands to the ocean beach which is only about 150 metres away.

For more information on beach camping along the Tweed Coast, phone the Tweed Heads Visitor Centre on 1800 674414.

end

Hey Mark,

Agree with Trev from Mylestom NSW. When you come through, look for a little camping reserve 6km's East of Macksville NSW. Its called Gumma (Boulton's Crossing) Reserve. $8 per night to rustic camp 10 meters off Warrell Creek, a tributary to the Nambucca River. Absolutely lovely spot. Close to town, reasonable fishing (whiting and lizards) and a wonderful area of the Mid North Coast of NSW.
    " Happy WIFE, Happy LIFE ! "