Thread: Can you eat Painter Grinner

Can you eat Painter Grinner

Went out on Moreton bay today and caught loads of Painted Grinner. I put them all back because I wasn't sure if these ugly things could be eaten.

Has anyone tried?

D

Re: Can you eat Painter Grinner

Yep, very bony but not bad chewin' if you think they're worth the effort. They also pickle ok. Any fish with lots of bones can be pickled to dissolve the bones.

They're good bait for mackerel too.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Excellent..... I may try that pickle idea and definately see what the Mackrel make of them.

Thanks
    D

Kingtin

Whats your pickling method?

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    Kingtin

Whats your pickling method?

Mick
    I did a thread on this with piccies but I'm buggered if I can find any of my old threads since the site changed Could have somethin g to do with my old posts showing bidkev instead of kingtin but when i search "bidkev' I come up with nothing.

Take the sides off the fish and don't worry about the bones. Just slice sides off backbone. Boil up some white vinegar (enough to cover fish) add a spoonful of black peppercorns or a chilli or two, or whatever takes your fancy. While the vinegar is coming to the boil arrange the fillets in layers in a dish (not plastic) with sliced onion rings between each layer. The fish should be room temp and not straight from the fridge. When the vinegar has come to the boil pour over the fish till covered and allow to cool to room temp. Then place in fridge. The bones will soften or completely dissolve and will be soft enough to ignore after about 3 days. You can then keep the fish in the fridge as is, for up to 14 days but I have eaten it at 4 weeks with no noticeable difference.

A jelly may form on some fish but this is quite edible.

enjoy

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Thanks for that

I put them through the mincer and turn them into burley - they seem to make excellent burley for bottom bashing.

Bloke that used to visit his granny at Caloundra years ago reckons she used to serve them as rock whiting ?