Thread: Tuf Line Braid

Tuf Line Braid

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experiences with the Tuf Line brand of braid...
    Have been offered a good deal but want some info on it first..

Cheers,
    Rich.

Re: Tuf Line Braid

Rich, I've been using it for about 2 months and it's a great line. I've been using it on my jack outfits so I need a line that has high abrasion and good strength. So far it hasn't let me down.

I also use Penn braid and think that Tuf Line is as good if not better, especially seeing that it's a few $'s cheaper than Penn.

I've been running 20lb Tuffline for about 6 months on a 6500C4 Abu and it has it's positives and negatives.
    On the plus side - it's super thin and super sensative with zero stretch and straight out of the box seems to have reasonable abrasion resistance. Because of the very tight weave it holds it's profile well and as long as it's wound on the spool tightly doesn't seem to cut in too badly.Because of it's thin profile it is less affected by wind on a cast and cuts through the water and weeds etc. with little resistance. Just remember to periodically retension the line on the spool or the first time you hook up a big fish on a slightly losser spool it'll dig in as you fight the fish and on the next cast you'll be in all sorts of trouble.
    On the minus side - It's very unforgiving when casting and if you're not right on your game it will nest faster than you can blink plus when it does it's a bastid to unpick. In fact I've had to actually cut off about 30m one time when the missus nested it. Also , when it nests and because of the super thin and tight profile, it tends to cut into itself which creates weak spots. I've lost a few lures and rigs on casting when the stuff nested and snapped at a weak spot and have lost good fish when the braid had failed in a weak spot as well. I can confidently blame the braid as I now run a 15lb mono leader after switching from 20lb just to see if it was the braid weakening. Compare this to the 20lb Marlin Braid I run on an Abu 6500C4LE that is a looser weave and much softer and more forgiving when it nests, which it seems to do alot less than the Tuffline, and is a breeze to unpick and doesn't cut into itself creating weak spots.
    I've had both braids on for about the same length of time and both have had a good workout with the Marlin having been fished harder if anything and at the beginning I was more of a fan of the Tuffline than the Marlin but as time has gone on the pendulum has swung the other way and given a choice I'll take the Marlin over the Tuffline every time now.

Cheers
    Bushbasher
    I fish therefore I am

I now use it in 20 30 and 65lb braid and love it