Thread: how do I spool up new line?

how do I spool up new line?

So I am now away from home and don't have my two Alveys with me. I have just bought a Daiwa Emblem 5500 Pro, 300 yards of 20lb Fireline and 300 metres of 25lb Penn Premium as backup line (0.45 mm dia)

To spool up the reel I would normally wind the fireline onto the reel, top it up with the Penn line to fill, wind that onto another reel and then on to a third reel and then back to the original reel to put the backup line in its correct place.

Without extra reels with me I am going to have to wing it and try to calculate the amount of Penn line I am going to need.

The 20lb fireline does not give a diameter, other than to say that it is 8lb test diameter.

The reel capacity is 0.45/270 or 20lb /290 yards

I feel sure that the calculation isn't going to be as simple as what would be the obvious solution ie assume that there is a direct correlation between line diameter and b/s I mean, can I say that 20lb fireline is going to take up 8/20 ths of the space that 20lb mono would take ie

8/20 x 290 yds = 126 yard of (20lb) reel space meaning that I will need to put in backup line of 164 yards of the Penn line.

The retrieval rate of one turn of the handle is 48 inches, so I could work out roughly the 160 yards to be laid on by the number of handle turns.

Mathematics was never my strength. If you have a system to help me get this right I'd appreciate it if you could let me know through this forum.

Many thanks

Tony

Re: how do I spool up new line?

Tony,

why not just 1/4 or half fill spool and then top up with the fire line,that way you have 2 lots of top ups???

just a thought.

regards kracker.

Thanks Kracker - but I want the max amount of fireline on the reel as I can get - and I think I will be half filling the reel with backing line anyway to be able to get the reel filled to the brim or at least a couple of mms off it.

Tony

All i can say is guesstimation

Oh and let us know how the new emblem goes

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Tony, sometimes you just have to make a guess and if it's wrong wind it off and start again! Just like I did yesterday with a Stradic 2000 and 125m of braid plus backing. Didn't take long to do it twice.

Wind the fireline on first.
    Wind the Mono over the top until full

take off the mono (to another reel/spool)
    take off the fireline (to a different another reel/spool to the mono)
    put the mono back on
    put the fireline back on

Works best if you have two reels & a spare spool. Pain in the ass but its the only way to be sure without continually taking the stuff on and off and adjusting the mono underneath.

just save the empty spools and hand wind them onto them twice!
    thats what i do it is a pain but who sayed fishing was sposed to be easy!

Wind on all the fireline, join to the mono and fill up to capacity. Take two cricket stumps down the backyard, park, where ever and unload it all onto the wide spread stumps (front yard back yard), change ends and rewind it all back on.

OK thanks guys

I really knew how to do it - but wasn't set up. If anyone was following this - I screwed it up using logic. 8lb test does not translate to 8/20 fireline. I wasted maybe 60 metres of fireline using this assumption. the upside is that I took my new outfit down to the rocks at Kiama today and blooded it with a 2kg+ salmon. Looking for Kings - but the sambo was good fun - saw him attack the Raider very close to shore
    Lost my one lure soon after and spoke to the local tackle store who suggested to me that Spanyard (sp?) are a better proposition than Raider for high speed spinning. I must say that it was difficult with the new Daiwa Emblem to keep the 60 gram Raider from skipping the surface. I have now bought a clutch of 85 gram Spanyards - will be out and attem at dawn tomorrow - Very keen to break my duck on Kings.

Just as an aside - spoke to a couple of well set up and knowledgeable young fellas on the rocks today - its great how people are so willing to share local knowledge - fishing is just such a great community

Just warming up for my week on Magnetic Island at the end of the month - oh bliss!!

cheers - Tony