Thread: Hook Electrolysis

Hook Electrolysis

Just thought I'd post up an interesting pic.

Here's a set of Gam SL12 8/0 with anodes that corroded from 7 hours trolling. The trailing hook is especially blunt.

The 10/0 were fine, maybe a bad batch nickel plating on those 8/0? Any ideas guys??

Re: Hook Electrolysis

Gday George, yep youve partly covered the anode on the rear hook.

so wheres it meant to be rob?

Jeff, id be taking the plastic off the anode, also a ? for george, was the hook handled roughly with pliers?

yeah rob, about half of the anode is covered, but it still should give some protection. 7 hours is not too much to ask...
    I've started rigging my new rigs completely exposed.

Also no pliers, its just a shackle rig. The plating seems to peel off.

I've put a pic of the 10/0s trolled for the same amount of time, same rigging, but they're pristine. Both the 8/0 and 10/0 have chalking and corrosion of the anode.

It sure looks like it has caught a fish maybe a terminator marlin was sent to destroy your rig to save the species

I'd agree with bad batch of nickel plating theory for the damage on the shank. I would expect the point to be the only place to be damaged at least initially by electrolysis. It would appear that the erosion of the point may have been accelerated by the loss of the nickel plating on the shank ???
    The sl12's i've used so far are'nt eroding to that degree when I used electrodes.
    Steve

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Interesting to see hooks with sacrificial anodes. I assume they are being trolled so plenty of water moving over the surface of the hook.

My understanding of this process (galvanic reaction - warning: some scientific boring bits coming...) is the hook or prop wants to produce electrons. There's stuff in the seawater that wants to absorb them...so (very slowly) your hook or prop gets dissolved - or at least, converted into another form.

A sacrificial anode interferes with this process. It wants to produce electrons more than your prop/hook does and we get a surplus of electrons around your sacrificial anode, which generally get conducted about the place. So the other half of our reaction, the bit that absorbs the electrons, suddenly has more than it's fair share. So it no longer needs to suck electrons from your metal prop/hook - because there's other, easier sources nearby. And if nothing is consuming the electrons from your prop/hook, the reaction that produces them (corrosion) slowly grinds to a halt.

Of course, the ocean is pretty damn big, and the anode is only small. so,
    sooner or later, the sea water will win. The reason it doesn't win in the
    short term is simple enough - for an atom of a liquid (water) to react with
    a solid, it has to actually be touching it. As big as the ocean is, only so
    much of it can be in contact with your prop/hook at any given time. As long
    as we can keep that tiny bit of the ocean fed with electrons, we can get
    away with it - and this works best when the hook/prop is stationery for obvious reasons.

Could the hook be wearing down through friction - maybe it's spinning?

as soon as i find a investor, i wil solve the corrosion problem,
    i am the first person to manufacture titanium big game hooks, a proven product, so if there is a serious investor out there,
    please e-mail me jerry@gstitanium.com also splash bars anf gaffs in titanium