Thread: Surf ? rod for yeppoon

Surf ? rod for yeppoon

Down in SA I have heavy surf rods - 7177 extended with 7" Alveys spooled with 30lb mono but they are pretty heavy to hang on to all day. Need them for snapper and salmon off cliffs and beaches.

I need something a bit lighter for the beaches up at Yeppoon and I have a range of Alveys from 5" to the latest 6500BCV - New vented reel spooled with probably 15lb mono on it.

I believe I'll be mainly fishing for whiting, bream, dart etc off the beaches.....am I on the right track ? (Is 15lb tooo heavy ?)

So with this in mind, could someone please suggest a blank that might suit this type of fishing.

Cheers fella

Fishless (Geoff)

Re: Surf ? rod for yeppoon

Use your surf rod - you might be able to cast out to the great barrier reef - not sure what species are there for land locked anglers but there should be flathead,whiting,dart and trevally there

Big_Kev

You will be able to come down on the line size.
    I used 12lb when I was young in that area and could have gone down from that if I knew more about what I was doing.
    The 6500bcv will be the shot with a 13ft rod.
    This will do the causeway to.
    You might need something about 15lb for fishing the rock walls at the harbour but.
    Happy fishing

Cheers Kev.

12lb is enought. but i've upgraded to 15lb on my lil spinning outfit.
    i've got a smallish 5'8" boat rod with nibble tip. if you can imagine that. i use it for everything from whiting up to mackeral casting out pillies.

4-6kg mono will be heaps for most beach fishing around Yeppoon. The whiting and dart are going well at the moment, and the blue salmon will be showing up on Farnborough Beach and the harbour walls soon...use the same tackle for them but add a couple of feet of good hard 20lb mono leader like penn 10X - they really chew through light line.
    cheers
    kev

Hi mate
    Are you after a one or two piece blank?
    Will you be trying to cast far?
    What size sinkers are you going to use?
    How long do you want the rod to be?

For generel beach fishing I would recomend a Pacific Composites blank called Salmon Lite
    Model No. AF825
    2 piece
    rated for 3-6kg
    11 feet 9
    Tip Dia 2.4mm
    Butt Dia 21.0mm
    Blank weight 288g
    This rod will be excellent for bream, dart, tailor, salmon etc
    Load it with 6kg Maxima Fibreglow on a 600BCV and you will have a really sweet balanced sportfishing outfit. I would recomend that you give 20 pound Bionic Braid a go as well.