Thread: tld30

tld30

just got a tld 30 anaversay gift from wife want to put 50 lb braid 300mts how mutch
    backing will i have to put on first to fill it was thinking of 60 lb
    mono thanks in advance hoga

Re: tld30

I have the same reel and run 50lb braid, as far as amount of backing goes I can't tell you exactly how much but if you have got time the following is the best way I have found. I use 30lb for backing.

Firstly spool your braid onto the reel and make sure you wind it on pretty firmly. Once this is done join your backing on and continue to fill the spool until it is to the desired level and then cut the line. Once again make sure it is pretty firm but probably not as tight as the braid. Now get an old reel and wind back off the backing and then once down to the braid, wind it onto another reel. I sometimes use some of my old alveys to do this.

Now its just wind the lot back on starting with your backing and then the braid. I can't stress enough that it has to go on quite firmly because otherwise over time the braid will settle in and the diameter of your spool of line will decrease and this leads to more winding to retreve line.

Hope it makes sence.

Cheers, Clutter

Sportfish_5

Hope you bought the missus a rod to suit for the anniversary

Now that's what i call an aniversary present! # [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Just a Q about using 30lb backing with 50lb braid. Isnt' there going to be problems with the difference in breaking strain there? If you set the drag at 1/3 breaking strain for the braid (16lb), then once you get to the backing, the breaking strain is over half? Also, as the diameter of the spool decreases, there is an increase in the amount of force needed to actually pull against the drag. So, the actuall drag is more than the 16lb you originally set? Does that make sense?

Dan
    Southwind SF20 'Piscatoreous'
    Savage 14ft tinny "About Time'

I don't know the application that he is using the reel for but with me I fish deep sea with it and find that 300meters of line is more than enough, the last time I saw the backing was when I spooled it up 5 years ago. If you are going to need more than 300meters of line out on a regular basis I would suggest looking at a 1000meter spool of braid.

Its best to stay away from (in my opinion anyway) mono in the same breaking strain as the diameter of the line is much greater and the braid and will pull down between and under the mono and cause you problems. As for the techno side of things like 1/3 breaking strain drag setting and stuff, I don't usually worry about that and you could always knock the drag back a bit if you ever hit the mono anyway.

Cheers, Clutter