Thread: Tuf Line XP, Bioinic Braid or Fins PRT?

Tuf Line XP, Bioinic Braid or Fins PRT?

Any comments on the above? I'm looking for a 15-20lb true braid (as opposed to a fused one) for baitcasting in salt and fresh. Concerned with fading, coatings coming off, and general castability.

Cheers

Strewth

Re: Tuf Line XP, Bioinic Braid or Fins PRT?

i used the 30lb super braid it was a dream to cast but i could not get a decent knot strenth in it, i lost some good barra over WA

G'day Strewth,I have not used any of the above mentioned braids.Although Spiderwire has received bad press in the past I have found no problems with it in 30-40 lbs range,I also have a reel spooled with 50 lbs Gorilla braid six years old it is still fine inspite of being white in colour,it behaves itself wether on a big baitcaster or outside overhead.For freshwater I am using 10 lbs Gorilla on a Calcuta 50,I don't think much of this line,it has very little ability to take a sudden stop.I have three other reels spooled with fused braid one with Platil Hotfibre 2,not a good casting braid in my opinion and two with Fireline,once this stuff loses it's stiffness(probably an hour of constant use)it's prety good,but still not what your after.As Caveman said knots can be a pain with braid,I find the best method is to tie your knots with it doubled back on itself then cut off the three tag ends,or try doubling or trebling your loops/wraps.Fading is normal for braid as is a bit of flufing up,A few loose strands in braid is no where as terminal as a nick in mono,20 lbs braid with a quater of the strands cut will still hold 15 lbs.

I use a number of different braids but for baitcasters you can't go past the bionic. I run 20 and 30 on a Calcutta 100 and 200. Don't worry about the stuff fading as it doesn't make any difference its just a dye. Mates up north use it exclusively on their Barra outfits mainly fishing Faust and have never had it fail.

cheers, Clutter

Thanks for the replys. Had a look at them all and went for the green Tuf Line XP. Has the thinnest diameter and a very tight weave, which should make it excellent for casting light lures with a baitcaster. Strangely, the line reminds me of the original spiderwire braid (not the recent Berkley-produced one which is a poor substitute).

Strewth

I'm with clutter, I can't seem to go past the 20lb bionic braid for the salt

Murray