Thread: Making Wog Heads

Making Wog Heads

Gday . I am looking at making my own wog heads(skirted Mackeral lures ) and was wondering if there is an easy way of getting the hair to lay evenly around the actual weighted head. They look a bit like these marlin lures except the hair is longer in the front of the lure than the back to make the trail better. They are rigged with a large gar on a set of trebbles. Any other tips some of you may have.Thanks

Re: Making Wog Heads

shouldnt be to hard.. just buy the hair stuff and put it on nback to front. i have heard they are deadly on spaniards... never tried them myself

Gorilla_in_Manila

Whitey,
    Not sure about the hair your talking about, but I made something similar to the pic you added with a wood head and a large pink rubber squid. Shaped a simple head out of 1 inch diameter dowel cut about 1 1/2inches long. Shaped a concave front (mouth), and filed down the diameter a bit of the back 1/2 inch of the head and drilled a hole through it lengthways for the trace of course.
    I painted the head fluro pink and added an eye either side. Then I nipped the pointy tip off the pink rubber squid and pulled it up over the back of the head (ie the skirt is facing the wrong way). I then wrapped some stainless wire over the squid around the reduced diameter section of the head to trap the skirt hard up against the lip where the reduced diameter starts. Then I turned the pink squid skirt inside out so it laid down in the proper direction. That way I didn't show two sets of eyes (ones painted on the head and ones on the squid) like in your photo. You have to reduce the diameter at the back a fair bit, coz you have to allow for two layers of the squid and the wire inbetween, and you want the diameter of the squid to finish up the same as the head.
    Hope that was clear. Maybe you could do it a similar way with the hair.
    Cheers
    Jeff

The stuff you need is "firetail". Can buy it either in small quantities or large bundles. Burn the end so it "glues" together.

Then you can just nick off small bits of it with a knife and lay the little bundles along the wog head (shortest length pointing to the opening of the wog head - that way when you pull the wog head through the water the firetail folds over itself giving the impression of a bigger bait and it looks good to), wrap small gauge stainless steel wire around it and along a groove (should already either be a groove or gutter on the head), twist the 2 ends of the wire together, twist till the wire starts tightening around the wog head, just before it gets to tight, cut the glued bits off the firetail, spread the firetail around evenly on the wog head, then tighten the wire right up, snip off the twist near base, fold twist against the head, then super glue the firetail along the wire (only a little bit now).

I dont have pictures and so the explanation above will be hard to follow. If you are keen you can find either a large pen cap, some type of small cone shaped thing made out of plastic and make a groove around it, drill a hole through the top and with firetail do the above all over again. This type of rig is light and will troll just below the surface.

I can make such rigs in about 10 minutes or so with the right wog head. I used to be a commercial mackerel fisher so used to make all kinds of wog heads. I have even used nail polish caps as wog heads. Can even use bright nail polish on the wog head if need be.

These rigs also catch marlin and wahoo.

Remember use the right size hook to suit the line. I have seen guys go out there and buy these massive hooks (they seem to think the bigger the fish the bigger the hook). Buy either 6 or 7 0's , gang three together and put a gar on. I could be here all day telling you how to bait the rig using a copper "sprag" but that can be for another day.

Remember - the straighter the bait the better the catch rate.

Use 40 to 60 lb single strand trace to 2 metres long. I have even used 30lb trace and it works fine. Be gentle with it and it will do the job.

Use black swivels.

Use gar with good intact tails.

Thanks fellas that's a big help and will save me some dosh too thanks again. Whitey