Thread: what rod?

what rod?

Hey everyone,

I am thinking about getting a new LBG rod for my TLD25, in the past I have just used an Abu10000 on a 6'6" Ugly Stik and I want to change to a heavier set up. The problem is that I live in Townsville and the closest decent ledges are in Central and Southern Qld meaning I have to travel by plane for this style of fishing (I do it usually twice a year; June and January).

The Ugly Stik was hand crafted into two piece by Glenn Campbell at Northern Angler in Cairns . I have thought about doing the same thing with a heavier Ugly Stik but there are no models heavy enough and long enough. They are always heavy and short, or long and whippy, the same goes for the other silstars and penn glass tip rods.

Now I am thinking about something around 8' maybe 15-24kg or 15kg line class don't mind if its graphite, composite or glass. The thing is I need two piece for travel! there are a few nice 8' 15-24kg rods out there, namely Wilson RLF14 and a couple from pac.composite/Killwell but these don't come in two piece. I have thought about getting a custom job but is that really a good idea given I only do LBG twice a year? What should I do?

Re: what rod?

There is a easy fix
    GO FISHIN MORE
    LOL
    cheers
    blaze

I don't know if thats possible, I fish probably 4 nights a week, but only twice a year LBG style. There must be a solution somehow!???????

Hi mate
    You should take a good look at the Pacific Composites Procast 6 blank. It is 9 feet 4 inches and for 25kg lines and its a two piece. Cut it two inches from te tip and four inches from the butt. If you want to cast with it then dont cut it from the tip. At just under 9 feet it is a little bit longer then what you are after but it is a real 24kg blank in two piece.

Yes it is worth building it

Hey that sounds allright, might give it a go. I have used some of pac.composites ultraspin and ultragraph rods in the past couple of years. They seem to be very good value, have good components, good reliability. Hmm I am guessing this procast rod will be one of their more expensive makes going on their prograph series?

Thats correct mate. You should try building it yourself. If you need any hints ir tips, let me know