Thread: Best place to mount transducer

Best place to mount transducer

HI Everyone

Well finally got a new sounder/ fish finder. I ended buying a Piranha max 15. My question is - I have a 4.3 alumimium centre console-where would be the best place to mount the transducer etc
    Your help/ input would be appreciated

regards
    Martin

Re: Best place to mount transducer

on the boat!
    nah i'm no expert but i think as far to one side of the motor as you can and where it goes --|_____|---------|______| you want it on the lower bits i have also heard and only just done to mine it you tilt the transducer down a touch you get better reading on the plane
    but if you look around on this chat site their is heaps written about tranducer setup

Assuming you're running just a single outboard (you would on that size boat) keep it to the starboard side to avoid any crap from the outboard in terms of wash.

Well it has gotto go on the transom, it has to be on the starboard side, it has to be in the water , it has to be away from the influence of hull strakes etc

Before you take a drill to the stern, go for a run and hang ya head of the stern and have a good geek at where the water flow appears to be the less influenced by the underside of the hull/motor etc

Cheers, Kerry.

Martin, all I can say is,,, I hope you find the right place first up. I had all sorts of problems with mine and my stern now looks like swiss cheese after trying different locations. Tried everything. May want to check out a thread from about 3-5 months ago that I started. Lots of great hints on it.

I mounted mine as per the guide which came with it, no problems so far, here is a link to the humminbird site which answers more or less all you need to know about the pros and cons of mounting it in a couple of different places. http://www.humminbird.com/generic.asp?ID=26

Good luck and remember to use sealant on the screw holes.

aquarius

Hi Martin......Heres a pic of my transducer setup......Just make sure when you do mount it onto the transom that you can ajust it up and down on the mounting screws.
    Trial and error mate but try your best to get it right first time.
    Cheers Brent

Kerry, at the risk of showing my ignorance why does the transducer have to be on the starboard side ?

Is it to do with the way the prop spins ?

Thanks bc
    (im in the process of buying a sounder)

bc, that's about it, looking from behind a standard engine spins the prop clockwise, which makes the starboard side the less turbulent. In any case it still needs to be off centre (clear of the prop affect) enough to be clear of the prop.

With a glass hull probably the most effective way (if possible) is to shoot thru the hull. Might loose a little signal strength but certainly avoids trashy water around the stern and would also work at increased speeds over a transom mount.

Cheers, Kerry.