Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wilson live fibre surf rod - waddayathink

CHRIS_aka_GWH

wilson live fibre surf rod - waddayathink

sort of like closing the gate after horse has bolted.

I just bought a 13'6 wilson live fibre surf (blue range?) version this morning - who has one & what do ya think ?

I couldn't justify the extra $ for a custom job like my "pretty boy" crew have gone with. Got the Wilson for $169.

I am finally placing into semi retirement the awesome butterworth powergraph that is barely recognisable from its initial 1983 fitout - I don't think any of its runners match & the bindings are all different but what a good mate its been. It won't go to the dump just yet, it still has some years of live bait work ahead.

It's gunna be hard to get used to the feel of a new pole in the dark (did I say that ? you know what I mean)

your thoughts & comments would be appreciated - particulary anyone who takes their casting seriously with regard to the best load up weight.

seeyainthesurf,

chris

Re: wilson live fibre surf rod - waddayathink

what model is it???

Gorilla_in_Manila

Chris,
    I'd be interested in hearing yours or anyone elses opinion of your stick. I will soon be looking for a long, strong, 75% broomstick, that is dangerous to large jewies and makes a pilchard's eyes water when casting. Would that adequately describe your new rod.
    Cheers
    Jeff

CHRIS_aka_GWH

jeff,

she's a fair stick. Quick taper in the top half but takes some loading to flex into the lower half. Christ though they are thick in the butt section. That could be a good thing though, I used to cramp in my fingers at times - the powergraph is much thinner, heavier & slower in its taper.

The build is really good for a mass job - no noticeable distortion under load - good runner position well suited to the blank - a fluke with a formula rod? or did they take the time to work it out.

I was either going to build my own from a pacific composite blank , get a custom job from the builder at the Tackle Warehouse, or go a Wilson (I'd heard some good things about lighter smaller live fibres). Time will tell - my only impresssions so far are from testing inside a tackle shop & outside in their parking lot "swatting flies".

chris

Gorilla_in_Manila

Chris,
    Sounding good. What reel are you putting on it? ie good runner positions in relation to an alvey, or a threadline or a overhead? Also how far from the butt is the reel seat?
    Cheers
    Jeff

CHRIS_aka_GWH

jeff,

good runner positions in relation to the curve of the rod.

low seat - ie short butt

i run a big black girl - an alvey 700c star drag -
    "fastest reel in the suds" said sheriff chris.

the rod i believe is also available with smaller first runners & a loooong butt if you are a girlie or nasty mexican.

here we are just a couple of blokes talking about their butts & their rods - that's what AUSFISH is all about - blokey stuff like that. lol

chris

Gorilla_in_Manila

Thanks Chris,
    Yeah, stay away from discussions about preferred lubricants.
    Cheers
    Jeff

CHRIS_aka_GWH

the kiwis prefer Lanoguard I beieve

baaaaaaaaaaaaaah

chris

I think I want one of those rods, tell me what you think of it after a few goes!!

Chris,

I think I have the earlier version (yellow) instead of blue. It's my favourite rod for the heavier action surf. Light allover with a great taper and light action tip. You can really load up on it with no concerns at all.

I'll be putting it to the test next week on straddie. I run the standard 650B's which makes for good fun on the big Tailor with a bit of shore dump.

Bugman

CHRIS_aka_GWH

brett,

i intend also to be indasuds that weekend. I think the morning highs with the moon below may better than the early evening highs with a bright moon following the sun.

I am thinking off a surf shift that combines hunting a big beast with a livie on the low around 1am (that should be just about moonset - which incidently is a favorite bream phase of mine over straddie that very few others seem to fish for some reason) then sitting in for the hard yards & rising tide to dawn. I'll either be on north or south straddie, hopefully north.

seeyainthesurf,

chris

Chris,

I'll be on North Straddie from Wednesday arvo 12 May to Maybe Sunday the 16th.

Let me know if they coincide with your vist and we'll catch up.

Bugman

CHRIS_aka_GWH

hey brett,

it may end up being that weekend on north for me.

Got told by SWSBO that due to ellicit fishing rod & L/Rover purchases the accounting dept will not be allocating a barge fare & rum allowance this full moon - I have been told though to resubmit my application for the next new moon (the weekend 14, 15,16/05) & it may be viewed "favorably".

That's why I'll never own an electric mower - that tin of fuel will get the boat to south straddie & back there's always a way to beat the accountants.

chris

I like the way you work Chris,

When I was back in sport I had every Tuesday/Wednesday off and often three days off in a row.

Me and the ol Hilux found ourselves camped on Main or Down the Pin about twice a month on average. The place has changed a bit since then.

Got my best haul of bream from a spot that no longer exists. I guess I was teaching myself beach fishing and never got into the jew or big fish attempts.

Used to be really happy with the dart, bream, whiting, tailor and flathead. Now I've got better techniques for all these fish I can't seem to get over there as much.

Should have seen me try to teach myself how to pull worms for the first 12 months. Bloody laugh.

It's a great place and never get tired of going over. The world's a different place when you get off that barge.

Brett

Gorilla_in_Manila

Chris,
    Have you given that rod a bit more of a workout yet?
    I'll be looking at getting one or something similar next week probably.
    Cheers
    Jeff