Thread: a tld30 problem for the gurus

a tld30 problem for the gurus

I cannot seem to fix this one, hoping you can help...

The problem is when the drag is put is freespool, it does not disengage. there is always drag there unless you physically move the spool sideways a fraction, then it will disengage.

Once you move the drag lever up and engage the drag, then back it off to free spool, it does not disengage.

I hope this makes some sense.

I have had the reel apart several times, replaced the bearings while I was at it, replaced the drag washer and the drag spring, regreased and put it back together.

In desperation I have taken it to a reputable tackle shop where a couple of people whom I trust and respect have had a go at it, and now are stumped.

The reel has been looked after since new and has not been put through adverse abuse.

any ideas our other q's ??? ???

Re: a tld30 problem for the gurus

Check whether the spool is getting wedged into the slot in the LH sideplate, preventing the spool from shifting across to disengage the gear. Sometimes the graphite warps a tiny bit, upsetting the fit of the spindle. It can be fixed with very, very careful filing of the slot in the side plate. I have seen this problem on a TLD25, I'm assuming the TLD 30 is built the same way.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Duncan

yes i had the same problem on my TLD5. get some lube on the shaft where it enters that slot!

Thanks fellas I will give it a go across the w/e.