Thread: Digital Printers

Digital Printers

Folks

On the post for Digital Cameras we all posted about the best of our cameras.

Now for interest sake what is your best printer and why.

Cheers.

Derek

Re: Digital Printers

Derek

I bought my current printer about 12 months ago. Technology is moving so fast my printer is now out of date.

However, my Canon I550 printer prints exceptional quality, I think up to 4800 dpi and it also has seperate ink tanks so if I use one colour more than an other I only have to replace that colour tank instead of buying a complete new print head which are very expensive.

I'm in the electrical retail trade so I can get these things at the right price, a seperate ink refill is only 8 bucks so this printer is very cheap to run. I have printed many pictuces, I am still have not refilled so I can say it is a very economical printer to run as well.

This printer coupled with my new Sony DSCP73s Camera has virtually made all other camera's in my household obsolete and I can see us never going back to film developed photo's again.

Your question which is the best printer is a hard one, as there are so many variables now available in the printer stakes. The lastest technology developed means you don't even need a computer to print your photo's so there are options like this, as well as printers that have card readers on board to print straight from the card.

The options are endless.

Macca

Do i count having a full on Xerox digital print centre at work? hehe

Any of my prints on paper from the new digital camera will be done through our Xerox DocuPrint 1250 with a Fiery Rip.

We also have a Xerox DocuPrint C621 as a basic proofing machine and its not too bad... still not for the general user though.

I have found the Canons to be quite good over the years but you'll never get as good a picture out of an inkjet as you will a Laser.

My home printer is a HP Deskjet 990cxi Professional Series - bought in 2001 and it's still going strong. Prior to that I had a HP Deskjet 720 bought in 1998. My daughter now has that and it also is still going strong. My association with HP Deskjets goes back to 1988 - both in a work environment and at home. In that time, neither have I had to call HP for hardware support of any nature nor have I had any of my printers in for repair.

Why do I use them? In my experience (and others may well have different experiences) they are dependable, well built (wherever they happen to be built), print excellent quality photos and documents, and despite the fact they have a black ink cartridge and a tricolour cartridge (the majority of models do), are still economical to run over a reasonable period of time. I came to that conclusion after comparing costs of my current printer with the running costs of my brother's printer (Canon BJC3000 - separate ink tanks). Over 2 years of printing, with similar volumes and print types (photo and document), our cartridge/tank costs were almost identical. He is about to change to HP - his Canon has "died".

I guess at then end of the day it all comes down to personal preference - if you're happy with what you have then it's the printer for you.

For my digital prints, I just get them sent to Kodak or Fuji & I pick them up from an outlet near me. All done over the net. Couldn't be bothered printing my own for the hassel.

They come out perfect.

I do have a Canon S400SP with seperate ink tanks for that odd printout that I require ASAP.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

we are currently using a epson rx510, over the years we have had cannon, epson, hp, star laser and found that the epson have always given the best photo print
    The trouble with technology is it is moving so fast, dpi ink type and quality in reguard to medium it will print on and the fastness of inks
    cheers
    blaze

I am running a HP 5550 and just purchased a canon i865, the i865 has a cd tray for printing on DVD's and CD's and the photo quality is exelent, I challenged anybody to pick the difference between these prints and genuine photos.

Cheers
    Murray

Yeah, I just bought a Canon i990 (one up from the i865) and I agree that the output is picture perfect on glossies.

I upgraded from an old 6 colour 'Epson Stylus 720 Photo'. It was great for it's time, but the inks faded over time (18 months) as did most back then (1998).

HP Colour Lazerjet 8550DN, Colour Lazer,cost about $38,000 I think, can do a page of A3 in full colour, very nice.
    Best of all it costs me nothing, because it sits beside me here at work.