Thread: Lubricating a bait caster

Lubricating a bait caster

I have a Shimano BC200 bait caster, whats the best way to lubricate these units ? I have searched Shimano's web site to no avail

Re: Lubricating a bait caster

I don't specifically know the reel you are talking about, but the principles are the same. Use oil to lubricate the knobs of the handles, the bearings at either end of the spool and the line laying mechanism - worm drive etc. Use grease sparingly on the gears. The drag is most reels should not be greased or oiled, so make sure it is clean and dry.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

SNELLY

Bungie,

Get hold of some TG's rocket fuel and some Cals Universal Star Drag and reel grease

If you can't get it from a local store you can get it from Jack Erskine direct

www.jackerskine.com

I'm using the yellow label rocket fuel in my Calcutta 200's and this stuff works great

Snelly

So I need to remove the screws on the outer case and get inside ?

See http://home.att.net/~kelley_brown/reelservice.html for a top description.

Rocket fuel is great oil, but use only a single drop. A table of lube viscosities can be found at http://www.cpinternet.com/msp02174/V...es%20table.jpg
    Low viscosity is generally good, but too low and the reel becomes superfast and hard to control.

Strewth

Kewl, thanks