Thread: Snapper Live Bait

Snapper Live Bait

Calling all bay / offshore live baiters
    what is the best way to rig a livey for snapper ?
    last time I was using livey's for snapper I placed a 5/0 through the nose and scored a nice 48 cm squire. They seem to munch on the head first methinks.

Re: Snapper Live Bait

hey vertico
    i reccon 1 hook through the nose and a megga long leader.comming from the worlds crappiest snapper fisherman for what its worth.
    less is best
    cheers scott

come on people!

im next worst after nofrills, id copy him

Vertico,

The best rig that i have found is two hook rig, the first hook through the nose, and the next hook about 3/4 down the back just piercing the skin, and not affecting the swimming of the bait. I use 4/0 or 5/0 suicides and put the sinker above the hook so the little bastard doesn't tangle the other float lines out the back.

Burley hard and put the livie 3/4 down the burley trail. Put the clicker on and wait till it is taken.

Out of interest though, most snapper that i have caught have been on pillies and flesh strips.

Good luck and i hope it helped

Blue Rogue

"Reef Hustler" - Seafarer Victory 6.0m & 225hp Honda

I have heard the same Dominic, most snapper come from pillies / squid, but they tell me just quietly that a lot of snodgers come from lives fished on reefs north of the pin.

Ive caught some huge squire like 50cm from live yakkas
    with a single 5/0 penetrator through the nose

I'm with Blue Rogue - suggest a 2-hook rig, one near the tail, and the second around the nose/ jaw. Make sure the distance between the hook is enough for the lenght of the livie, otherwise it won't swim well. Head up if its a strong run, head down if not, so on a longish leader (couple of metres) it will swim ALL the way to your big kknobbies gob!! (and whatever else might be around)

Weight should be enough to keep it near the bottom, with leader to let it swim around mid water.

Where in the bay are you looking at live-baiting?
    Lawry

Big bay snapper dont eat livies, but big dead baits or big squid on 2 hook snooked.
    regards

hmmm thats very interesting webby.

lawry: a little spot in the rouse

Hi Webby, no doubt we would have an interesting chat about snapper not taking livies in the Bay!!!!!! Maybe I was imagining! However, I do believe that more, and better catches are on flesh/ pillies etc. I sometimes wonder though, whether that's because people tend not to do much live baiting for them in the bay, or because other larger (hopefully not Noahs) prey get to the livies first.

Anyway, Vertico, good luck in the Rous - you going to drift the rock ledge/ drop? Let me know how you go - maybe even when you're going- hoping to get out sometime this weekend, so might come over and say g'day!
    L

Better off butterflying or just cutting a livey in two rather than using it whole.

Ive heard butterflying does the trick
    and loads of burley