Thread: Braid to what Leader??

cHiCo

Braid to what Leader??

Hey blokes,
    need some advice on the best 40-45lb leader for tying directly to 30lb Penn Pro Power braid. Using a calcutta 250. What knots you like to use aswell. I am using schneider at the moment and its really giving me the shits, keeps curling up into circles the size of the spool. All info appreciated. Cheers

Re: Braid to what Leader??

http://www.marinews.com/

This sight has some good knots. I use the Albright knot and haven't had any dramas.

cHiCo, I have been useing 45lb schneider as leader for the last 8-9 years with no probs but have now gone over to the penn 10x and after a few teething probs now preferr it, the prob I had with the 10x is it being such a hard line your knots need to be tied perfectly or else you lose fish (as well as favorite lure >) and get laughed at by you fishing mates
    Cheers Ian

cHiCo

yeh gonna have to practise my knots a bit more.

If the line curls up too much it has too much memory, probably from sitting around for a fair while or not being a good batch. I usually use pink ANDE, Jinkai or Penn 10X.

cheers, Clutter

I swear by Knotted Dogs, but they're not the most economical form of leaders. They work a treat on baitcasters and glide through the guides with ease. I normally attach these with a bimini / catspaw / figure 8 combination.

Otherwise I use Penn 10x... great line and doesn't tend to curl up like most others. The double uni knot is probably the easiest, strongest and quickest knot for straight line to line connections.

cHiCo.Sounds like your schider line may be faulty as i have used it
    before with no probs. A reliable knot is a70 turn bimini twist in your braid and connect to leader via 6 turn uni-knot with a 4 turn uni from leader to braid. I much prefer to use a more supple line like Jinkai or Sufix Braid Buddy as you can go up in line poundage for similar line diameter.

cheers, McCod

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Chico , i always use an albright knott and never had one pull on me ever !

With the line twisting ...sounds like you may need to get some new /different mono ....something with less memory

try using an improved allbright knot - has worked well for me for the past few years - 40lb braid seems like a bit of an overkill for a calcutta 250 and i think that is where your problem is - try using a much lighter braid - i find they (braid) are all trouble to start with, especially on baitcasters.

cHiCo

I said that it is 30lb braid. That is what each bloke at the tackle shops i have been to has advised me to get. A full 150m spool plus another 50m of backing is on the reel.

Hey Chico,
    Don't worry mate the 30lb is fine on your calcutta 250 and most of these blokes probably have a rod for every occasion, but as a young bloke you need a decent alrounder I'd guess. You should try Jinkai leader material, I have found it to be the best, supple but with great abrasion resistance.( used 60lb for 6 years in the Northern Territory chasing barra ). I use a bimini twist to put a double in my main line, than attach my leader to this using an albright. Never had any knot failures using this set up. I also make my own wind-on leaders as I have had several failures with off the shelf wind-ons, believe me I tend to loose my sense of humor if I loose a fish due to tackle failure. ???
    Good luck with your set up.

PS: Hope your not planning on tossing plastics at bream with this outfit.
    Cheers Ron
    Make something Idiot proof and they make better Idiots

cHiCo

cheers Ron, ill have a look at the different types of leader and chase up those knots aswell. Bream pfffftttt, do they exist here? Lookout barra!

try magma leader
    nery thin for strength rating.
    you'll find all flouro carbon has lots of memory i find the jinki has a lot of memory.
    vanish is pretty good but dear. and is stuffed after couple of trips it goes opaque (white)
    i use albright knot from main to leader with no double it casts well and hangs on.
    i use 4lb main and up 20lb leader, or on 30lb braid to 50lb leader same knot .
    but if useing less than 20lb main use improved albright knot.
    i think with the rod technology these days you dont need a double before the leader.just use long leader, length of rod.

works for me Cheers Cloud 9
    then it realy gets ughly

Hey Chico,
    If you want me to show you how to tie this rig just let me know. PM me and let me know.
    Ron
    Make something Idiot proof and they make better Idiots

lukebrooksby

As for leaders Black Magic and Jinkai are very good, depending on how heavy you want to go. If you want a leader that is quite soft you can just use a heavier line as a leader rather than leader material, as you will most probably know leader material can be hard to knot off at times.

In the knot scenario I have had no troubles with the Albright. With the 30lb braid I personally would be stepping back to 20lb and using 25 - 30lb as the leader, if you work your fish you don't need the extra pound rating. But thats my opinion, in the end it is what you prefer and what works for you.