Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems With Navman

Problems With Navman

im running a navman setup of colour gps and colour sounder all up $4500... but when im running over 4knts my sounder decides it wont show depth, fish, or even my current speed > its been giving me the craps for ages ive tried fiddling with the settings and nothing happened.. my gps is fine its what im using to display my speed but i want my sounder to work.. so can anyone help i need help!! otherwise im gonna have to buy another sounder and it wont be a NAVMAN

pinkie

Re: Problems With Navman

Check that you're not getting bubbles under the transducer... they tend to play up a bit like that.

I had my Garmin working all day but as soon as i kick it into shallow water trim it just played up like buggery.

Ausfish Addict

also look at a wet box. my bro uses navman, and has had no problems, i also hear they are very good to deal with FAQS
    like top said, check to make sure you have no bubbles, and the ducer is at the right depth angle
    cheers
    Joe

it all came installed when it was bought from dealer so yeah you would think it would of been done right its on the rear deck where the engine is mounted.. im running a 120hp so would that be cause? it turns up the water really bad what if i was to mount in inside the hull??

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Check with the dealer for known problems. My Navman 450 plays up (no speed reading and sometimes inaccurate deapth) but this can be fixed if I send the transducer back for a replacement (a known bug - no recall of course!). However, I couldn't be bothered unclipping the transducer and the cable back to the unit. But if I'd spent $,000s I'd make an effort!

"it all came installed when it was bought from dealer so yeah you would think it would of been done right"

jeez Pinkie you're the trusting type aren't you. Bet you paid good money for them to do it too! I have dealt with some dealers who didn't seem to give a f%^k about the quality of their work and customer satisfaction. I am a firm believer that you are much better off doing everything you can yourself 'cos you'll do a better job than they will and it will be done the way you want it.

As others have said, I think you need to play around with the angle and height of the transducer on your transom.

Good luck

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

I have a 4200 and had the same prob when going over 15 knots ,,,

I just remounted it lower on the V and it works perfectly now ,,,still shows depth at 40 knots ...

those guys having problems do you guys have alloy boats ???

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    those guys having problems do you guys have alloy boats ???
    id hav to say i do... and i dnt really wanna have to move the tranducer more wire, holes and SH!T to much effort i mite just get it replaced either that or put a huge "NAVMANS ARE LEMONS" sticker on a panel above my rocket launchers or under them show navman how its done does anyone believe that springwood marine mite have installed wrong?????

Hi Pinkie

Anything is possible from any dealer. Among other things, my brand new trailer came wired with the same female attachment as the car

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wello_Pete
    Hi Pinkie

Anything is possible from any dealer. #Among other things, my brand new trailer came wired with the same female attachment as the car

Cheers
    yeah its not the 1st time ive heard of that a mates dads car tralier has that they have a cord tahts got two male ends on it n it works perfect

it is simple really i honestly think you need to place the transducer in the right spot by the sounds of it its way too high i have had 8 different types depth sounders and on all of them if it aint set right you aint going to get a good reading at high speeds . eg i had a eagle bottom of the range on a 4.5mtr tinnie that could read at high speeds unless it was a very bumpy day.

Not a real good move bagging navmans in writing on your boat.. You will only get in more trouble than its worth. Its a simple installation fault and would have your dealer reposition the xducer. either that or have them fit a thru hull ducer...

had the same sorta problems with my navman.sent it back 3 times. >
    finally fixed the problem by bying a lowrance

Before assuming the brand is deficient, I would first have a good look at how the transducer is fitted.

To function correctly it must have unbroken contact with the water on the bottom face.

Unbroken, no bubbles, no skimming just on top of the water, unbroken contact with it otherwise it cannot detect the sonar echo.

First thing to do is hop under the boat and have a look at where the trasducer is fitted, is it on the down stroke of the propellor or the up stroke? If it on the up stroke and is relatively close to the motor then the water disturbance can be an issue.

Next have a look at the alignment of the tranducer in relation to the bottom surface of the boat. It must be set lower than than the transom (mine is about 12mm).

If it is below by the right amount, next check the angle of it relative to the bottom surface. It must be lower at the rear of the transducer so that water is always in contact with the lower face. You may have to adjust this angle a bit.

Lastly, have a look to make sure nothing on the bottom surface of the boat is protruding down that may upset the water flow in front of the transducer, sometimes they are incorrectly setup behind a strake or keel beam.

It doesn't matter which brand, if they drop off at speed the problem is the flow of water across the transducer.

If it is dropping off at 15 knots, my bet is the angle is wrong and needs to be set down a bit at the back, 15 knots is where a boat really starts to level out after being a bit nose high.

Good luck.

- Bean.