Thread: Reel to match 2-4kg rod

wacco_fozzy

Reel to match 2-4kg rod

G'Day. I'm reasonably new to fishing and have just received a 2-4 kg graphite rod, and now I'd appreciate advice on the best sized reel to match it with.

I'll be land based, using 4kg braid thereabouts. I don't have a huge budget and would look for something around the $100 mark.

Regards, Dave

Re: Reel to match 2-4kg rod

For a 2-4kg rod i recommend the smallest and lightest reel possible which balances the rod out nicely. Have a look at the smallest Diawa Samauri i7, the 2000 sized Shimano Aernos or the Okuma's in the Avenger or the Epix. Would stick to the Diawa or Shimano but if you are not desperate keep an eye out on the boards under this tackle section. Rumour from Coomera Bait and Tackle about super special cost priced Stradics surfacing in the next week or two. Would be worth saving IMO but in saying that i dunno how much cost price stradics cost. I would take a guess at around the 180 mark but dont quote me on that one. DEFINITELY worth the extra 80 or so bucks if that is the case mate!

Hope that helps

wacco_fozzy

I was afraid you guys would start telling me my budget wasn't big enough.

My missus will have a heart attack when I eventually bring something home and tell her how much.....

Having said that, it's the same old story isn't it. Buy quality and have it forever or go "cheap" and complain it doesn't perform etc.

Hahahah yeah your spot on with that observation.

Just watch out for the Diawa but mate. Forgot to mention: they are a great reel but have tiny spools which i have heard cause fireline/braid to tangle up heaps. Something to think about... But hey, save some money and buy 4lb fireline instead of braid and you are nearly there for the stradic Fireline is just as good if not better although it doesn't tie knots as well as braid does IMO.

wacco_fozzy

OK, now's the time to educate me a little more.

I thought that Fireline was a brand name for braid line, but obviously not. What's the difference?

Braid is double the cost of fireline. It is basically finely woven thread for fishing. very limp, no memory, and 100% feel

Fireline is different to braid. Think it is called a GSP line and is roughly half the price of braid. It is a new age fused line with similar characteristics as braid. Not as limp, but still very sensitive and no mememory however, in the larger breaking strains is alot thicker than braid.

Both lines have zero stretch. That's all i can think of off the top of my head.

this thread might help wacco

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...num=1090895742

and there are some others just a few weeks old that ask what braid is made out of.