Thread: new line

new line

brought myself a new rod and reel the other day (8 foot wilson live fibre rod with okuma egg beater reel) and am about to spool it up with line(mono). i was told a long time ago to put the line in a bucket of water and wind it on whilst the spool of line spins in the bucket. and holding and even pressure with my fingers.and thats the way i have been doing it for years.
    but watching rex the other week he said to sit the spool of line on the floor.but the spool must unroll in a certain direction

which way??

how do you put new line on ??

Daniel

Re: new line

The spool itself should roll toward you mate. I think what rex was trying to avoid was the line twist that happens when you just take it off a spool lying flatside down on the floor. That causes line twist, which reduces the line's breaking strain. I usually just put a screwdriver through the hole in the spool and hold some fabric againt the edges (to reduce the friction), then get someone to reel for me. Hope this helps.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

rex was saying to leave it on the floor, NOT to stick a screw driver through it. but make sure it unwinds in a certain direction.
    i think he said the line feeds on clock wise.so the new line should come off the spool anti clockwise. ???

Daniel

Ben_Gray

Yep that is exacty what rex was saying. However ive been doing it with a screwdriver my entire fishing life and never had a problem, and everyone else i know, people that have been fishing alot longer than me do it the same way. When you think about what rex said it sort of does make sense in a way, but in the end it is up to you, as long as it doesnt go on too loose or too tight!!