Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannon Downrigger - Easi-troll 2

Re: Cannon Downrigger - Easi-troll 2

yea you can use braid,but the down side is losing your gear everytime you hit something.its not uncommon to hit snapped of anchor ropes at slack water or even to have sharks give the bomb a taste.the wire does hum in the water,we call it the whale caller but it dosent seem to worry the fish.

hardcorr
    its a bit hard to explain,but basically its a winch with something that tells you how much lines out and a big weight on the end.attached to the weight is a release clip of some form.
    so you feed your lure/livie/bait out the back however far back you want it,grab your line at your rod tip and wack it in the clip and let the down rigger weight down to the depth you want to fish.when a fish takes your offerings the clip releases your line and your on.
    hope that makes sense
    cheers scott

a cork ball on wire eliminates the hum. i got the digitroll4 i had a terminator let go- took ages to get one from the usa, most of it was in arguing my warrantee and them getting the right parts too me,
    they have a lifetime warrantee but its a shit fight to sort out, they wanted $150 for a new power cable to connect it the battery! so i got a mate to knock one up, cost $5 to make- they dont cover it for corrossion! althought the power cable and the weight cable are the only parts that are at risk.
    there is a weight called "a salt slicer" its 13lbs and is like a pancake with dimpled sides and is used of socal for toona fishun' its the best around but getting one here is an absolute pain in the butt! in the end i gave up and use the crappy cannon 10lb-er,
    damon- if i get time off work to freakin' fish!

Here's a couple of basic pics to show you the basics of how a d.r. works, and drop back.
    regards

this is what is call dropback, the distance you can run your bait behind the bomb.
    rgards

webby,
    what do you use to mark the wire. paint or something like nicko pen. dosen't it wash off over time.
    my line counter is getting a bit sick and it will probably shit itself this season, might be easier to mark the wire.
    also- do you guy's use a sacrificial anode on your wire, noticed mine is starting to get some rust staining. it came off with a bit of a rub with inox, but it will probably come back
    cheers
    dazza

HI I use to mark the wire with different coloured tapes, but have since brought a line counter (shakespear), for each d.r.
    As for the wire, after each trip i just spray it with lanolin, and have had no probs so far, have only replaced the wire once in 3 years.
    Now running two d.r. with 120lb seahorse and 100lb mono backing and black crane swivels, and cannon release clips, which i find are the best ones to use.
    For those using d.r. on tinnies, you'll get that harmonic noise back up the wire, so you may have to go to heavy mono or braid, you wont get this on glass boats.
    regards.