Thread: Chronarch Reels - Standard or Super Free

Chronarch Reels - Standard or Super Free

I was talking to a mate who just bought a chronarch (standard) reel. The super free model was the same price but he chose not to buy it on the basis that water gets into the wiffle spool holes and thence into the bearings. I disagreed with him and he disagreed with me.

Can anyone verify this? - I thought the SF model would be a better reel. Surely Shimano have considerede water issue in the design of the reel. If not, a bit of plumber's tape would fix it, anyway.

Re: Chronarch Reels - Standard or Super Free

The SF is the better model, not sure that the holes give access to the bearing.

Clutter

holes shouldnt allow water into the bearings.. the wiffle spool just allows the spool to spin faster and aid in longer casts due to having less weight in it.. but like any reel.. it sure doesnt hurt to wash the reel down with freshwater afterwards

Tim

sf is better for light stuff like 1/4oz bass lures but not any real differece casting the big stuff like cod lures and barra lures. If he is paranoid about water just put some tape around the inner spool before putting on line. best of both worlds.

Mad_Barry

The water gets in after a few hrs use & the braid is soaking wet all the way through to the spool, from there it drips through the holes and inside the spool & therefore the bearings on either end.

A quick wrap of plumbers tape sounds good & simple, I've used a small peice of glad wrap around the spool before filling. bit fiddly but it works. may well use plumbers tape next time