Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy reel around $100 any suggestion

Re: Looking to buy reel around $100 any sugges

Thanx alot for your info Cheech it really helped! I am doing a bit of bay fishing (just outside port hacking) and there are some large rocks that the buggers get in so i haveto apply a bit of pressure on them at the start. (specially the damn cod)
    heres a pic of one i managed to just barely pull out from under the rock, bastard was wedged in deep, took a while!

Thanx fr the tip on the disasembling too. (i haveto learn for my new reel)

I was thinking of holding off of buying a reel till after christmas, maybe some sales occuring then? but my whole family is taking holidays from dec 20th to jan 10th and we will be fishing daily.. and the earliest i can buy the damn reel after christmas if the 29th (caus of boxing day then 2 days holidays )

The more i look at the daiwa emblem pro, the more i like it.

Its got the infinite anti reverse, the "super rust resistant" and a spare spool.

Hopefully the bastard will drop the price for me

Quote Originally Posted by MrMullet
    Thanx alot for your info Cheech it really helped! I am doing a bit of bay fishing (just outside port hacking) and there are some large rocks that the buggers get in so i haveto apply a bit of pressure on them at the start. (specially the damn cod)
    heres a pic of one i managed to just barely pull out from under the rock, bastard was wedged in deep, took a while!

Thanx fr the tip on the disasembling too. (i haveto learn for my new reel)

I was thinking of holding off of buying a reel till after christmas, maybe some sales occuring then? but my whole family is taking holidays from dec 20th to jan 10th and we will be fishing daily.. and the earliest i can buy the damn reel after christmas if the 29th (caus of boxing day then 2 days holidays )

The more i look at the daiwa emblem pro, the more i like it.

Its got the infinite anti reverse, the "super rust resistant" and a spare spool.

Hopefully the bastard will drop the price for me
    Oh and just in case anyone thinks i have old hairy arms, my dad decided to take a pic of it while i wasnt looking so he can show off to his mates > (he did the same thing for my flathead too)

its' a wirrah! and its terrible eatting! at times you get good squire in close to the gravelly parts of the headland.
    #the tss4 would be good for spinning the salmon and bonito that come into the bay at around august-try bluefin sports at hurstville(if they are still in business).
    # i think anything over 6kilo for whats around there is over kill and i think you will drop down to 4kg or 3kg given some success spinning the salmon and rat kings, some of which are 8kilo.
    # the lighter line gets more attention from fish as its harder to see it in the water! the mainstay of that area for eatting is sand whiting and bream, you need a yabbie pump and a light outfit for them ie: 2kilo or better still 1kilo . around bundeena there is heaps of whiting and bream and sandies(aka blue swimmer crabs in cock'o'roach language).really i think you will have more fish on a line if you first go the bread n butter species. its not much funny having a great rod n reel with no fish around for it!
    hey next time tell ure oldman to make sure his richard is in his pants while he get photos taken! lol
    # # #damon

LOL thats his finger fro his other hand man

Thing is, we never spin, we just anchor and fish. Sometimes livebait. I caught one bonito but it was only 1kg, and an undersize kingfish. We tried further in with yabbies (pumped yabbies the day before and kept em alive with air pump n filter) and went fishing next day but no luck. (this was last season) Did catch 3 swimmers though. This is around mainbar (sticking in that channel that they dug up)

I probably wouldnt go for a bigger reel, I just wouldnt need it.

As for the wirrah, it went to the grandparents, they eat anything

Whereabouts do the sand whiting hang around bundeena? Not right on the beach? ried there with no luck a couple of times.

$100??? , me have an old Abu Garcia which fell apart in me mits whilst tryin ta do a wee fixit job on it you can have for that much ..Nock off $5:00 if you put it back together 8)..

NQCairns

Dont forget the Penn spinfishers, one of those will still be doing the job in 10 years +.

I use diawa kastors and diawa capricorns,both reels are fantastic and are the best reels i've used to date,the capricorn is the better of the two being a little smoother with a miro adjustable drag and airbail for braid but at the price the kastor is a top buy..... watch some of the cheaper reels out there as they tend to have a fairly flexible body and reel mount that causes them to just about circumnavigate your rod when playing a fish.....Cheers Smithy....

hey mullet did you checkout bluefin sports? did you look at the shakespeare synergy 200?
    # #yes around bundeena on the runout tide ....but when i said 2kg preferably 1kilo i wasn't joking, if you arent light they see the line and dont bother, little bream will pick you off!
    # look for a bank that drops away to deeper water like from 1m to 3m ok? then anchor on the high part and let you bait fall back into the deeper area1 the whiting hold up in schools waiting for stuff to drift down there.
    # #hacking is very seasonal, but has some good fish in there unlike queensland estuaries which still have pro-netters!
    #you have touched the species i talked about think they grow pretty quickly so when did you catch them think around 3months later they are legal size! try trolling the 120laser pro in either contrast or a mullet or yakka look! #if you can get them down there! look for a 'livey lure' junior pilly in green and a arafura barra in bleeding mullet both about 5" long.
    # soft plastics for lizards around the whiting areas are good too! even caught a few flounder on twisters! but that was like 15years ago, but the pro's still where fishing then. now the its raincoats and halal's killing all the fish!
    # so really your looking at two outfits eventually - a 1/2kg bream whiting setup and a six kilo spin troll jobby.
    so its time to do a paper run or something i guess so you can finance this obsession of yours! maybe you could sell nude photo's of your oldman over the internet!haha'
    # damon
    #

Thanks for the info damons!!! gonna try it out for sure!

Actually i went back to the tackle shop (local) today and i was having a look at a couple of shakespeare rods and reels.

My brothe said hees chipping in 100 for chrismtas so its ROD and REEL now

I had a look at the shakespeare ugly stick, seems like a good rod, but then again i dunno squat.

I couldnt find anywhere what action the ugly stick 2000+ is! (can anyone point me in the right direction) im looking for something that i will spool with 6.8 Kilo fireline)

I dont know what size ugly stick to get (that one looked nice n big.

I had a look at a shakespeare K2 extreeme 4000XFD, but again, i cant find any info on the net >

Also, can anyone say anything about these prices?

Ugly stick 2000+ $135

Daiwa Caprice 4000 $119

(guy told me if i buy combo that price should go down by about 15 percent)

I still havent made up my mind as to the reel im going to buy, but im pretty sure about the ugly stick (unless someone can suggest a better rod to me )
    Im going to buy the set tomorow so get your thoughts in early.

Oh btw, i didnt check out bluefin sports, i dont have the transportation

Quote Originally Posted by damons33
    now the its raincoats and halal's killing all the fish!
    mate tell me about it. Couple months back me and my dad went fishing and this halal guy had a bucketfull of fish, none being gbigger that 15 cm, so my dad told him off about it and the guy got scared and threw all the fish back in the water, so my dad went off again telling him its no fukn use now that theyre all dead!! damn that was funny as hell, but geez do they piss me off!!

Another classic, watching the raincoats bring a mincer (meat mincer) with them when fishing and anything undersize they mince on the spot so they cant get caught > When i asked them what the hell u do with the mince, they said they make dumplings > > >

Pisses me off so badly! then they complain caus theres no fish to catch, i was fishing georges river near chipping norton lake and i caught a legal bream and i still trhrew him back and all these raincoats were giving me dirties

They dont understand the meaning of sustainable fishing!

ohg and just in case i stuffed up with the uglystcik name (the 2000 part)
    the rod is about 2meters tall maybee a little less 180cm. The end of the rod is clear.

Mullet,,,

You are on a good thing with Ugly Sticks. In your price range particularly. They are a very good rod and for some reason have really dropped prices recently. I don't understand it. I have 3 of them. Am very happy to strap on a $250.00 reel to a $100.00 ugly. When I have more money I will start buying live fibre rods, but for now, uglys and shimano rods are doing just fine. Some come with fuji guides (this is a good thing) and some don't, but even the non fiji are good if you look after them and hose them down, Even the fuji version are less than $100.00 recently. But Brisbane prices are probably a lot less that country due to competition from the marts.

My advice would be spend more on the reel and less on the rod.

Cheech

thanx for the info cheech!

Im really excited! im going in tomorow to buy the rod, reel, and for the 1st time ever... braid fiberline!

Cant wait till the fishing! gonna be a marathon from the 20december to 10 january

Still dunno about the reel though...

Quote Originally Posted by damons33
    its' a wirrah! and its terrible eatting! at times you get good squire in close to the gravelly parts of the headland.
    damon

and i was there thinking what the hell is a squire fish.. friggn SNAPPER!

Which part of the headland? i fish the south end (as opposed to the other end where cronulla is) and i never catch snapper ???

I think that you've got the American prices on those daiwas. Either that or its the cheapest capricorn i've ever seen (they usually retail over $200)
    Suggestions
    Daiwa laguna This is the cheapest daiwa reel that comes with a spare metal spool (the kastor and samarai come with plastic spools) around $150
    Penn applause, its solid like the penn spinfishers but a bit lighter and comes with infinate anti reverse and is also a little cheaper from around $120 - $145 depending on size.
    You may also want to look into a baitrunner style reel. Either a shimano or okuma. The shimano is smoother but the okuma has better gears and is also cheaper.