Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caring for Reels after use in Salt water, lubricat

Caring for Reels after use in Salt water, lubricat

Hi guys,
    Can anyone tell me a good routine for post fishing reel maintenance.
    Is sewing machine oil a good anti corrosive ??
    Cheers
    Lee

Re: Caring for Reels after use in Salt water, lubr

Tighten the drag, give them a wash in warm soapy water and then rinse them off, back off the drag. If you do pull them down CRC make a reel spray or use a light grade oil. Unless you dunk them they don't really need to be pulled apart to often unless they get used heaps.

Clutter

ide go with what clutter sez , though ive gotten in the habit(ritual) of pulling my reels down after every third trip n make sure no moisture in the reel, bit of a spray, pulldown and oil or whatever ..Some of my reels are now thirty year old and still look like they come outa the box ey..And!! still have the box n schematics the reels originally come in lol...
    Cheers

I keep a handkerchief in a little tupperware container that has been sprayed with INOX or Lanoguard (not saturated). After rinsing with freshwater and allowed to dry I wipe the reels down. Have used the same handkerchief now for nearly 6 months and it still leaves a thin film on the reels. Keeping it in a sealed container after use makes that expensive spray stuff last a long time.

GO INOX - good stuff.

I'm a bit slack and time restricted, so I put all the rods on the verandah with drags tight and spray with the garden hose. Then wait to dry and spray with INOX.

I'm happy if they last 5 to 10yrs this way as I'll eventually have an excuse to go shopping again.

Nothing like showing the wife "this reel is buggered - see I need a new one".

I did this the other week (bought new one) and then took the old reel in and cost $10 to get 2 new main bearings (inc install) - of course then I had to express my suprise and joy to wife and now I needed a new ROD to put it on - so it was rod shopping time - yippee!!

yeah i use inox as well i used tri flow for while but it left a film & collect salt & sand

I gently hose all of my rods and reels off after each trip as soon as i get home. When dry I wipe them over with a rag sprayed with silicon spray. Silicon spray does not collect dust and dirt, so i find it better. I am a little weary of spraying INOX and the like around my line, got a feeling it puts the fish off IMO.

I also pull my reels down every 6 months or so and wash every part with shelite, then re oil and grease when i put it back together. Don't need much oil or grease, just enough to give it a light coating. I have made the mistake of loading a reel up with grease and oil ... doesn't work to well!!!

Sam

Good info guys,
    In regards to what Sam was saying about products contaminating the line, do your un spool before you spray or just be careful ??
    Lee

Abalone
    Your best to use either Lanoguard, lanox or one of the other "sheep juice" based lubricants as a coating on outside of reels, not such a problem if you get a bit on your line.

Regards, Tony

Agnes_Jack,

Sheep Juice!!!!!!!! you serious?

sure your not a Kiwi....... never heard of it before.......

kiktz
    Deadly serious mate!
    Lanoguard or lanox- sheep juice!
    And no I'm NOT a kiwi!!!!!!!!!!! >

Regards, Tony

Replying to the previous post in this thread is pretty safe , cause it is so out of date.(?) I don't reckon it is Sheep juice, the poster refers to, but Aussie 'Richard' juice! haha.

I use inox on rods and reels and use lenoguard on the boat and trailer fittings...foxy

Does wd40 work as well as INOX? any problems with it you guys know of? I used to buy cheap shit and not care if it ended up in the heap, but now I'm buying better stuff I'd like to know if what I'm using will work.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill