Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making an esky - Ideas

Making an esky - Ideas

I'm thinking of making an esky for the boat as I can't afford the big ones (To fit in all the fish I catch! ).

I had a thought of getting 2 of those plastic (Usually clear plastic) tubs from Bunnings, and sitting one inside the other one. In between the 2, I would put that expanding foam stuff (Or something else maybe?). Would also put the 2 lids together on top of each other the same way...

My questions to those in the know are these:-
    1) Would this work? (ie Keep cold)
    2) Is there a better/cheaper way to do this?
    3) Has anyone tried this before?
    4) What would be the best way to attach the lids? (ie Screw on hinges for a flip lid, or keep the little clips on each end)
    5) How easy would it be to paint this once finished?

If anyone has any info on this, i'd be very interested to hear it.

Cheers,
    Dan

Re: Making an esky - Ideas

Hmm have you thought about making one from fibreglass yourself? Glassing is one of the easiset things to do. It'll cost more than your idea (I think) but you'll get a better product.
    Cheers, Mark.

I would think its still quite expensive to buy the plastic tubs ($25-$50 each)?

A good idea though. I dont know if the expanding foam has very high insulation properties.

Could you make one built-in to your boat? Not very useful if you need it removable.

I think you'll have sealing problems with the mathod you described.

Good luck
    Mick

Mate I took a styrofoam pack case that the fishmongers use complete with a lid, I'm guessing that Fishinmishin has some of these that he refers to as broccoli boxes, just make sure you get a tight fitting lid. The insulation properties are a ripper and if I toss in a block of ice when i go out it will still be plenty of ice later in the day and your bait wont thaw.
    I've been so impressed with the styro esky that cost me nix that I've considered casing it in a thin ply for external protection.
    Mind you I'm gonna need a longer esky as my fish are still too big, I've had to crop heads and tails lately

I'll probably make my own long esky to suit the boat and line it with styrofoam. Not sure how I will glue the pieces together though but can't be too hard.

Mark - Had thought about it, but have no idea how to glass (Apart from fixing dings and holes in surfboards)
    Mick - You can buy a 120L tub for about the $20 price... 2 of those = $40. The expanding foam (if it would work) is about $10. You can buy some rubber seals for about $3 to go around the rim where the lid goes on to seal it... So all up around the $55 price tag.... Much cheaper than buying a proper 120L esky....
    Burley Boy - Have thought about them... However they wouldn't take any kind of "knocks". And in a space limited boat, its bound to get bumped!

Rather than using expanding foam, what if I was to use insulating foam? (ie The proper foam rather than one "out of a can")

Anything with trapped air/gas will insulate for attaching ply to foam use silicon something like selyies all clear or the cheaper ones are just as good. Glassing should be easy but it needs practice.
    I was looking at putting a container in the hull of my boat and then pouring positive buoyancy foam around it to hold and insulate, but I bought a home instead (Long story)

Dan- your only young mate, and i guess your a keen fisher. Dont muck around wasting money on crap. Get yourself a proper esky! It'll last you a bloody long time, you can use it camping at parties as well as fishing, if your short of cash look at seconds, if thats still to much get a buggered bar fridge or small freezer, pull out the motor and use them. Ive got mates that have done this and they work brilliant, they seal well already have hinged lids, you can rivet on carry handles and im sure you can get them for alot less then fifty bucks...foxy

Here's a few pics of the top freezer part of a fridge made into an esky.After cutting the top off, the backing plate of the fridge is cut to size and used to ceil off the exposed part.

Its easier to use a bar fridge because theres no work involved, just get the size unit to suit your needs. They hold ice as good and in many cases better then many eskies on the market. This one in the pic has been right around australia' to the cape, deep tempest you name it... another view...foxy

i have heard of blokes that have got some of them broccli boxes (fome eskiys) and puts a couple of coats of glass inside and outside and also the lid
    from what i have heard they are as strong as you will need and dead easy to do
    if you need more size just cut and fit four of them together and that will be one hell eskie!!!

I thought the resin used in fibreglassing actually melts styrofoam. Otherwise why would you use the more expensive foam insulation?
    Cheers, Mark.

Dan,

I think that although it may only be around $50.00 for the bits, it will not last very long. One big mate sits on it and that will be the end of it.

I am planning on making one similar style to an evacool. Been doing all the research so when I get to it I am hoping for a reasonable result. Will take photo's of the process and post them if it comes out ok.

But to cut to the chase,,, I also have a home made esky that although rough to look at, will keep beer or anything else exceptionally cold. The construction of it is just a box made of rigid foam (make sure it is compatible with the resin) glued together. Then over the top of it is 2 coats of chopped strand mat/resin. The top is just a sit on, but you could easily hing it if you wanted to.

Being just basic glass, it is cheap and not a smooth finish. But does the job and will last forever.

If you already have used glass in fixing dings then you are half way there.

Anyway, just another consideration.

Cheech

mark not sure how they did it but i have seen ones made from them
    i would think the same as you but then again they may of used something diffrent that stops it melting ???

Wonder how you would go if you got a styrifoam box of the right size and painted it inside and out with 2 pac paint and then put 3 or four layers of glass inside and out. that would work out pretty cheap and would make a good project.
    cheers
    blaze

Quote Originally Posted by dfox
    Dan- your only young mate, and i guess your a keen fisher. Dont muck around wasting money on crap. Get yourself a proper esky! It'll last you a bloody long time, you can use it camping at parties as well as fishing, if your short of cash look at seconds, if thats still to much get a buggered bar fridge or small freezer, pull out the motor and use them. Ive got mates that have done this and they work brilliant, they seal well already have hinged lids, you can rivet on carry handles and im sure you can get them for alot less then fifty bucks...foxy
    Foxy - Just curious as to what you classify as young....? Not quite as young as you may think... Although am a very curious person, and much prefer to make something myself than buy if I can. The main reason for the thoughts I was having about this project was money. None of us seem to have any (Me especially!), so was just trying to save a few dollars.

Plus there's nothing better than having something you make yourself work out really well.

This post was more of a "I wonder what other peoples thoughts are" as had never really thought about it before. But your idea of the bar fridge is a very good one!

As for keen fisher - yep sure am.... Now I just need to get good at it!