Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tailor Rigs and Casting Distance?

Re: Tailor Rigs and Casting Distance?

it's a single hook rig using a smaller keeper/ stinger on top. i use approx 60 pound seven strand wire crimped to hooks and covered with heat shrink to protect line from sharp edges. the keeper/stinger is ethier heat shrinked on or is tied on with a sliding snood.. the wire trace/ leader is approx 300mm long( any longer and you get heaps of kinks ) and a shock leader of say 40lb jinkai approx 800-900mm long is then used. the running ball sinker-8-10 ball, is placed on this shock leader. the sinker is drilled out bigger so line can feed out through it in the current easily. then a rated swivel then to my 30lb main line.

the sinker sits down close to the hooks for a better cast and when out there the bait can easily be swept out and away from the ball sinker.

this rig cast like a dream.
    Drew

rando, yeah thinking about it i do pre-load my road befor lift off. i think it woul probly be pretty hard not to. release points especialy in larger rods using heavy sinkers all differ greatly so it crucial to get that point of release precise for a long flat throw instead of a be parchute throw that goes up and out then floats back down to earth 20m in front of you.

Drew

NeilD

Drew, your gear is certainly a lot heavier than my Alvey setup and probably needs the heavier mainline. I use a Magsurf which could barely lift a 10 ball never mind cast it. Hopefully if we can organise a beach M&G we can get a chance to check everyone elses gear out
    For my heavier surf outfit I now use my heavy spin setup consisting of a Spinfisher 8500ss 10kg fireline and a 12' Traverse X graphite 15kg spinstick. If the sweep is bad I use a 4oz snapperlead with wire prongs or a pyramid/ball on a running rig, 80lb leader and a pair of snooded 6/0s. Works OK

Neil

Beach meet and greet, sounds good.

Drew

Drew
    What connection do you use between trace and shock leader

Disregard previous, had another look ( glasses on) got it!

Surf Sniper,

In the surf I use a Butterworth MT 7144H blank. Actually it comes in a bit under 12 ft as a few inches were cut off the blank (from the bottom). I was 12 years old when the blank was selected and the builder thought it would be too much for me to handle uncut. It still makes a good medium beach/ rock rod. The reel is a 650 Alvey.
    PS, when I am talking about a shock leader I mean about a bit over a rod length to absorb the shock of casting.

Hi Reggy,

I use braid on all my baitcasters but reckon I'd be slicing my fingers up when using an Alvey. Just a bit too finicky for beach fishing.
    Cheers

a slight pre-load. Rando which leads after cast - the bait, the sinker, or both together? For me, it has to be one or the other, otherwise the rig loses momentum as it's being hoiked out.

Just went to make up some rigs for next beach session, Its going to have to be a pretty big hole to let those swivels thru. ???

CHRIS_aka_GWH

a decent 30lb swivel isn't that big rando

christ drew that'd take me a week.

nah chris it's pretty quick if you just use heat shrink and dont snood the keeper. i make a few up infront of the telly in my spare time ready for the next session.

hey chris, 4.1 Kg tailor so far during fraser comp, not bad for a daylight fish hey.

Drew