Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tailor Rigs and Casting Distance?

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: Tailor Rigs and Casting Distance?

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr
    8kg max is all you need. Ever seen an 8kg Tailor? ... .
    no but I've seen lots of tailor that can apply 30lb of thrust & a lot of 90+kg guys getting towed down beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr
    Try a Wilson Live Fibre in the 13'6" to see the difference! Cheers.
    That's my rod - almost too powerful - I ripped hooks out of a few mouths before I learnt to back off a bit from the technique I used on my old Powergraph.

chris

Yes,

But there is a thing called a drag on your reel. 8 kg line will handle a large jewie off a beach if your patient, let alone any tailor.

Hey richo, where abouts did u get that blacktip? looks like shark bay near iluka but probably isn't.
    got a heap of them last time i went tailor fishing.
    Cheers
    Matt

Interesting reading all this stuff. I have a Butterworth 13'6" that is a bit softer that my other surf rods and seem to have the same problem with casting distance with a pillie and a 7 or 8 ball, but it's probably due more to my incompetence than everything else. ???
    Somebody mentioned somewhere to get rid of the wire runner and replace it with a Fuji one. Was wondering what the advantage was with this. I'm using an Alvey 650 with 9 kilo line.

Help!! [smiley=hammer.gif]

the old legend

Yep it has been good reading and lots of new tips to try out. Caught the Shark down at Jumpin Pin, on the bottom end of Nth Straddie. Got 3 bustoffs after that one! Put it down to rig failure, line kept snapping at the knots or just above! ??? Will strip off a few meters of line b 4 I use it next time.

bill fisher, ???maybe your not trying to cast as far as me. if you use any one of my rods hurling 8-10 balls with anything under 35 pound super 100 or 30 pound pretest fishing for tailor your Guarenteed a break off every 10 casts or so. im not talking about rubbing of sinkers on lines im talking knot strength and the stress that is apllied on the join of leader and main line.

you'd be amazed how much force and stress BIG tailor can put on gear.

Drew

surf_sniper perhaps your breakoffs are due to your method off casting. I would be very much in favor of dropping 30lb for much lower. Even 5.5 or 7 kg line plus patience when playing a fish. Hoiking a #8 with me is not a problem. I had have break offs in the past, but it's usually associate with a small tangle. To get distance, you fish with lighter line. I'm a regular 40 metre on 7kg, without any wrist breaking.

12 - 15 pound line and hurling 8-10 balls distance casting for big tailor

another reason for the heavier line is 80 percent of my fishing is beach fishing competitions or club comp, so im normaly looking for points and risk using a heavier line to guarentee fish in the esky. BUT the heavier line is 99% directly related to the use of big sinkers and distance casting to place and anchor baits strategicaly in a gutter/ drain/bank formation on open surf beaches. \

im using super 100 as it has the thinest diameter in the 30-35pound class at 0.41. this gives me the strength i need yet is still reasonably handles sweep and wind factors.

Casting is fine I also belive distance is directly related to how your rod is loaded up. you can use super fine line on a wrongly loaded rod and it will cast like a bucket of crap. But correctly load up a blank with its right weight and you will cast to a mile, line diameters just aid.
    My rods are composite 13'6 blanks and 15 footers for big tailor and both are only correctly loaded when using the likes of 8-10 balls and strip baits.

Drew

Surf Sniper,
    I am definitely giving everything I have when casting. When snapper fishing with 9 kg line and 4 oz lead I am sure I am getting near the 100m mark, using an 8 wrap 11 ft rod and an overhead reel. Off the beach with lighter line I use a 12 ft rod and an alvey. I don't think there is any point going much longer than 12 ft in a rod. It takes too much energy to load up a really long rod and less energy ends up being imparted to the rig.
    Also as I said if you are worried about break offs with lighter line you can use a heavier shock leader and get the best of both wordls.

spinner

Hi Richo
    How about trying 30lb braid as your main line, or 8kg mono
    main line and a 30lb wind on leader.
    Reggy

billfisher, the bennifits of a long rod for me on the beach are huge. i build all my own rods as me and my brother have a small rod building bussiness. my 15 foot blanks are dedicated tailor rods designed specifical for casting for big tailor. they out cast any rod ive ever used including my other 13'6 graphite composite blanks.

the weight of these larger rods doesnt come into play as i fish using rod holders 90% of the time. the extra length helps keep the line clear of waves and sweep when in the rod holder. The longer rod also alows more control and direction of the fish and gives me more length to use to play and wear out larger fish.

i do use a heavier leader that the sinker runs on, which can be anything upto 100pound depending on the size of tailor/ day or night and if im using wire.

The strain is put on the join between this shock leader and the main line.

Drew

billfisher, what is the rod/ blank you use on the beach? and what size alvey you using?

here's a pic of the main rig im using.

closer look

Surf-sniper & others
    When you cast do you pre-load the rod, in other words does your backswing load the rod, or, is your cast initiated with the terminals/bait stationary. Interested to know as this might be where I am losing out in distance.
    I can chuck 85 gm raiders to New Caledonia but am hopeless with bait.