Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP's - are Snapbacks worth the extra $$$

SP's - are Snapbacks worth the extra $$$

Got a good bargain on Ebay a couple of weeks ago, near 100 Tsunami holographic swim baits. Reason for the bargain is the crappy colours, but I was more interested in the weighted Mustard hooks inside the SPs. You can buy the hooks and the weights separately but the overall cost would have been 4 times higher than I paid.

These are super strong and sharp forged Mustard hooks, and the weights are balanced so the SP runs true.

So I plan to recycle the hooks/weights and put them into a better quality plastic. I'll cut the SPs, slide in the hook/weight, then reglue them.

It seems ridiculous, but the range of Snapbacks in Aussie is bigger than what is offered in the US, so I'd have to buy from Aussie to get what I want.

So are the Snapbacks worth the extra dollars it is going to cost me?

-------------------------------
    Veni, Vidi, Fishi
    I came, I saw, I Fished

Re: SP's - are Snapbacks worth the extra $$$

Yes they are practically impossible to rip and thus last a long tome

Quote Originally Posted by chemmy
    Yes they are practically impossible to rip and thus last a long tome
    That in itself is never a reason to buy a lure. If you swim a lure that never gets a hit it will last a long time too! Much more important that the lure actually works, then worry about the relative costs. I'd rather spend $30 on a lure that I know will catch fish, than three $10 copies which just don't work nearly as well.

Reelcrazy, I'd be very interested to see some photos of those weighted mustard hooks you are talking about. And by the way, I find the range of terminator snapbacks pretty limited too. Only seem able to find the 5" minnows here in Brisbane.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

The tackle store @ redbank (name escapes me atm) has a variety of snapbacks (worms, tubes etc). I would have assumed that most tackle stores around would have also had them available ... or order them in if enough people hound them

vort-fu

Cyclone

I'd just be happy to find some snapbacks seems to be some sort of supply problem up this way.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy

That in itself is never a reason to buy a lure. If you swim a lure that never gets a hit it will last a long time too! Much more important that the lure actually works, then worry about the relative costs. I'd rather spend $30 on a lure that I know will catch fish, than three $10 copies which just don't work nearly as well.

Reelcrazy, I'd be very interested to see some photos of those weighted mustard hooks you are talking about. And by the way, I find the range of terminator snapbacks pretty limited too. Only seem able to find the 5" minnows here in Brisbane.

Jeremy
    Hey Jeremy, how come you got to rag on everything Chemmy says, the way I read his comment is relative to the price of other soft plastics, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Just remember that no one knows everything.

Glen.
    Cheers Glen,

One Life, What will you catch next!

Ive been using Snapbacks for over 2yrs now.. they are my number 1 choice of soft plastic.. the reason the range is larger here in australia is because, if you read on the back of the packets (2" Grubs, 4" Jerkbait and soon to be 3" T-Tail) you'll notice that they were actually designed in Australia by John Schofield.. i was even given the chance to test out one of the very first 2 4" jerkbaits in australia that were prototypes.. that plastic lasted me 30 odd fish, from bream, flathead, estuary cod and small trevally.. that to me was a good point.. but like any other soft plastic, if ya dont use them correctly, you wont catch anything

Tim

I know of at least three tackle shops supplying snapbacks. They are very durable, no doubt about it.
    As for catching fish with them, as Zeeke said, if fished correctly, they catch fish. Flatties love them, and the squire dont mind them either. Have also caught bream, trevalley, tailor, pike and cod on them.
    They arent the only SP I have, I have way too many , but they always get a run, ecspecially when the toothy critters turn up....

Quote Originally Posted by seqfisho

Hey Jeremy, how come you got to rag on everything Chemmy says, the way I read his comment is relative to the price of other soft plastics, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Just remember that no one knows everything.

Glen.
    Glen, wasn't having a go at him at all. Sorry if you read my post that way. I think I was making a fair comment on something he wrote.

I know I don't know everything and everyone is entitled to their opinions. No problems there. But really, if you believed everything that was written on here you would be a very confused individual.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Thanks Zeeke,

That's exactly the information I was looking for.

The Tsunami's are far too soft, the plastic is a little like Storms Wild Eye shad material, good action, but it gets shredded and savaged far too easily.

Caught more than a few tailor on the Wild Eyes, and most of the time it's replace the lure after 1 or two fish, they get ripped and torn, I at least cut out and recycle the hook and weight similar to what I'm planning to do here, and replace with shad style bodies, otherwise it gets a little expensive.

I will post some shots of the process when I get a spare moment.
    -------------------------------
    Veni, Vidi, Fishi
    I came, I saw, I Fished

i always fish with platics but ive never used snapbacks before, Fishin_Dan showed me one in the tackle shop once and he pulled its tail waaayyyy back and it just snapped right back to form(hence the name i guess ), i reckon theyd be great, wanna get some to try one day, by the way has anyone ever caught anything on the tsunami shads? ive got some in herring colour but have never even drawn a strike off em, i keep em in case all my other SP's run out, last resort really...take it easy people

Here is a few pics of fish weve got on em, they were ready to go again straight afterwards.