Thread: BURLEY

BURLEY

I'd be interested to hear what sort of burley other fishermen use. I tend to go for the Tuna oil mixed with bread crumbs with a hint of mashed pilchard. Some people don't believe in it, but I reckon it gives you the edge on the next bloke.

Does anyone have "the perfect recipe" for burley?

Matt
    ><> ><> ><>
    <>< <>< ><>

Re: BURLEY

Matt

I use cook pellets, tuna oil, or aniseed, some old fish scraps and old bait, all mashed up and then frozen into a burley tube (home made using a piece of storm water pipe).

As it defrosts in the water, the trail spread out some, net result more fish.

Harry
    I love the sound of reels screaming in the morning

I tend for the tins of catfood pilchards - cheap, already mashed up for you and works a treat.

i used dryed cat food and a can of cat food tuna on the weekend and worked fine

Some good ideas being tossed around....keep em comin.

Ends of loaves of bread, stored in the freezer
    Tuna oil from cans of tuna in oil, saved into jars in the fridge
    Broken pillies and frames mashed up
    All prawn shells and the rare lobster shell
    Sometimes some bought tuna oil.
    All mashed together, and frozen into ice cream containers. Yes, it's cheap, and the wife does indeed hate the amount of room I take up in the freezer.. but it works.

Bigger freezer?

Besides some of the above ones I also carry a meat mincer on board. When the burly stocks are low any rubbish fish(sergent baker, pike, grinners etc) get the mincer with some tuna oil for lube

All/any of the above will work, depends of the fish being targeted, pellets & rice are good for estuary bottom dwellers as it scatters leaving the fish in the area longer as they have to eat each scattered bit but not as good for reef/rubble areas as it will just get into the snags & cracks, if you are chasing surface fish tailor ect grate some spuds into your brew, they are suckers for starch .Cheers Touchy><>.

Remember the key is not to feed them but to attract them. Keep the burley small in size and gradually release it. Usually when there is the least amount of tidal flow. Too much tidal flow and your burley will be 100m away

andrew

Use everything that smells fishy chuck it in a cheap blender then blen away. Then add contents into a knee high stocking and tie the end and freeze. Best burley bucket you can get and lasts all day

got an old kambrooke mix master here with the mincer attachment.. eevery 3-4months, i collect together all the fish frames ive got in my esky, cut them down into mince-able pieces then mince it all.. ends up as a thick slimey paste.. everything goes in.. then after i mince up a loaf or 2 of bread comes out like worms.. heh.. and mix that with the fish mince, then mix in a kilo or 2 of chicken pellets... add breadcrumbs if ya want.. ya end up with a pretty thick burley mix that can be dropped in a burley bucket and with the burley stick, mashed up into a very fine but very thick oily bait slick.. then if ya want, mold a bit of it around ur hook and just drop it in unweighted and feed it out .... works when ur desperate

Tim